• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Post Your Antiques

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsox985

Reaction score
Hahaha YUP! Rolled them all by hand and took them to the bank in a backpack. Probably looked shady hefting a backpack on the bank counter, but there was no better way to carry them. 10000 would weigh 25kg so it was at least 55lbs.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Some of my old tools. The chisels, screwdrivers, saws, drill, hatchet, and other various tools were all my great grandpas who was a carpenter. I just dug these two shovels out of a shed at the farm this week.

This clock at my grandparents has an interesting story with it:

My great grandmother (who passed the clock to my grandmother) was born on April 8th 1906. The weekend that she died, the clock quit ticking. Several attempts were made to get it running and chiming correctly, but to no avail. Then I was born April 8th 1994. When my grandparents got home from seeing me at the hospital, they saw that the clock was ticking and even chiming!(although it chimes 15 minutes late) The clock is one of only 2 known to exist, the other of which is at the Smithsonian and doesnt run. I cant for the life of me remember the maker of it, but its approaching its 100th birthday and running strong. So basically, Im magic:smartass:

Attachments

• P1010853.jpg
    P1010853.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010854.jpg
    P1010854.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 4
  • 081811211412.jpg
    081811211412.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 3
  • P1020086.jpg
    P1020086.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 8

porsche930dude

Reaction score
Iv got too many to mention but i just cleaned out my grandfathers garage and found these. Along with a very cool hand etched indian lamp from the 50s

tons more (literally) where this came from :) and antique bottles up the wazooo

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
its definately antique.... went on this today. it is used nonstop as a ferry across long island sound. many years earlier..........

June 6, 1944, 160,000 Allied troops landed along a 50-mile stretch of heavily-fortified French coastline to fight Nazi Germany on the beaches of Normandy, France. General Dwight D. Eisenhower called the operation a crusade in which “we will accept nothing less than full victory.” More than 5,000 Ships and 13,000 aircraft supported the D-Day invasion, and by day’s end on June 6, the Allies gained a foot- hold in Normandy. The D-Day cost was high -more than 9,000 Allied Soldiers were killed or wounded -- but more than 100,000 Soldiers began the march across Europe to defeat Hitler.

redsox985

Reaction score
My great grandmother (who passed the clock to my grandmother) was born on April 8th 1906. The weekend that she died, the clock quit ticking. Several attempts were made to get it running and chiming correctly, but to no avail. Then I was born April 8th 1994. When my grandparents got home from seeing me at the hospital, they saw that the clock was ticking and even chiming!(although it chimes 15 minutes late) The clock is one of only 2 known to exist, the other of which is at the Smithsonian and doesnt run. I cant for the life of me remember the maker of it, but its approaching its 100th birthday and running strong. So basically, Im magic:smartass:

This is a crazy story! Was anyone able to even place a price tag on something of that age, condition, and rarity?

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
This is a crazy story! Was anyone able to even place a price tag on something of that age, condition, and rarity?

Its never been appraised. The mirror isnt original and the 3 tiers on top should be brass rather than wood so Im sure that would hurt the value. A few of the times it was worked on, the guy didnt charge because he was so interested in it. Did I mention this clock survived a house fire? It was off being repaired sometime in the early to mid 1900's when the house when up in flames.

redsox985

Reaction score
I'm surprised that clock doesn't move household trinkets when no one is home. It's got creepy powers!

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
I'm surprised that clock doesn't move household trinkets when no one is home. It's got creepy powers!

:roflol: Too bad the clock goes to the daughter with Frances or Nancy in their name. Hopefully it'll stop ticking when I die to continue the legacy:roflol: That would be one he// of a family story.

Status
Not open for further replies.