post you grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghanem

Reaction score
Hi, I want to buy a grinder , but not the normal grinders i like (small grinders) they're pretty cool and easy to use. I was asking from where could i get one?:huh:.
And if you had one and you can post the pics that will be good.

redsox985

Reaction score
What kind of grinder do you want? A 9" one, not the normal 4-4.5" ones? I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

Ghanem

Reaction score
i think it is in this size

redsox985

Reaction score
That's a standard 4-4.5" grinder. They come in both 4" and 4.5" so it's tough to tell from that photo. What's your budget for a grinder?

fowler

Reaction score
thats a die grinder it is air powered
do u have an air compresser

the one in the pic will do the same thing and it will do it alot easyer

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
The grinder in that video is a die grinder that runs off a compressor. That other picture is just a run of the mill angle grinder. It all depends on your purpose, to which one you should get.

So what would you want to use it for?

Jeremy.

redsox985

Reaction score
A dremmel tool would be like a die grinder, but even weaker. Die grinders NEED an air supply, and aren't that impressive, but are good for some precise cuts. An angle grinder, like the one you posted, with a cutting wheel will serve the same purpose and preform better.

In the nicest way possible, your lack of knowledge scares me because if you don't even know what the tool is, you probably shouldn't handle it. I would suggest getting some direction from someone who has some experience.

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
well i have a dewalt and a harbor freight as backup.

the harbor freight grinders are known to fry up after little use, i doubted it as long as i took care of it, but sure enough mine burnt out after a month. i got a replacement under warranty and bought the dewalt that has been strong for about 4 months so far.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1FYMWZSD6ZGAC33AQNN7

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-angle-grinder-95578.html

for cutting disks, the dewalt XP's are so far some great ones. bullet industries disks are good also.

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
also, on safety, yeah, you need to be very careful not to bend the disk while cutting, also know what way it rotates so it doesnt kick back.

i have recently got a piece of my left thumb taken by by dewalt. it could have been much, much worse.

safety glasses, or a face shield, are a must. gloves help too.

redsox985

Reaction score
Before you even buy one and cutting wheels, you need to know what kind of grinder you are getting and probably how to use it. I know you may have learned by flipping it on a going, but I get the feeling that most of us who haven't nearly lost a finger to a grinder were taught by someone.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
As someone who has logged many, many hours on handheld angle grinders of the 4 1/2"-5" variety, I have to caution you that they must be respected. In a relatively small package, the have the power to very seriously hurt you. A few pointers.

*Goggles are not enough. Use a full face shield. If you have any questions, ask the shard of metal that was lodged in my left eye for three days, started rusting, and had to be removed in the ER because the clinic doc couldn't get it out.

*Keep an eye out for combustables while grinding. It's kind of impressive what you can accidentally ignite.

*Do not grind with cutting wheels. They are thin (mine are 3/32") and are not designed to tolerate the sideloads of grinding.

*If you drop the grinder by accident, remove and discard the wheel. Unseen fractures can cause the wheel to frag, and they turn well in excess of 10,000 RPM. Not pretty. I had one frag on me and a chunk tattooed my thigh. Thank the stars that it did not hit anything more vital. An absolute BULLET!

*Do not use a wheel with a visible flaw, be it break, crack, or chunk missing. See above.

*Make sure that the switch is "OFF" before plugging the tool in, and be sure you have a firm grip before switching it on. Startup torque is quite impressive and it will rip itself right out of your hands if you're not ready for it.

*When cutting small parts like shortening a bolt (thanks, Blue) or other small bits, clamp the part in a vise. Never attempt to just hang on to it.

*Do not force the tool into the work. When grinding, let the weight of the tool provide the pressure. Do not force it. When cutting, cut with the 1/4 of the wheel that would be at 2-5 o'clock if you were looking down at the tool from the top. Again, use minimal pressure. Once the cut's underway, the tool will generally feed itself. Cutting between 11-2 o'clock is quite hard to control, and the 7-10 area will wear the disc much faster and tend to cause potentially dangerous kickbacks. These "Clock" positions are based on the rotation direction of every single grinder I have ever used. If you place the tool flat on the table, disc down, the rotation as viewed from top would be clockwise. I have never seen one that counter rotates but if you happen to have one, reverse my clock positions.

Again, these are not just "I think" suggestions, I spent years cutting and grinding daily, usually one handed so I could stabilize myself or the stock while I cut. Please take this info to heart. While individual techniques may vary slightly, these are solid guidelines. Cheers!

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
hmm i think the first time i used a grinder was at the adult ed classes. i didnt recieve any instruction, but wear gloves and at least safety glasses (if not a face shield). i would start on some easy, nice, flat surface.

when you rush things, dont wear gloves, and do unsafe things like hold a bolt with your bare fingers and cut it down (yeah... like i did) its those stupid rushing times when things go wrong. take it slow, be relaxed, but focus and keep good control. always use 2 hands (learned the hard way on that one too)

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
A dremmel tool would be like a die grinder, but even weaker. Die grinders NEED an air supply, and aren't that impressive, but are good for some precise cuts. An angle grinder, like the one you posted, with a cutting wheel will serve the same purpose and preform better.

I don't know what kind of die grinders you've been using or if you've been using them properly but they generally have TONS of power, Dremels have a fair bit of grunt for their size and revs too.

Here's my angle grinder, it's an Icon, cheap brand, I've had it about 4 years now, cost me $30 brand new and came with a whole bunch of disks, goes great.

Thanks

Hayden

Attachments

• SAM_1297.jpg
    SAM_1297.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 10

redsox985

Reaction score
The two die grinders I've used have been relatively simple to bog down. They were running on about 140psi air. It's the same lines we use for sand blasting as well as all the air tools in the wood shop. For the grinder safety wear, at the very least, goggles that are pulled tight at all points around your face, the kind that they wear in labs and leave the rings around your eyes when done. Dremels have grunt for their size, but I would prefer a die grinder over a dremel, and an angle grinder many times over a die grinder.

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
dremels arent in the same league as grinders.

dremel= great tool for porting carbs, engines, chopping down bolts, flywheel fin removal, and cleaning.

grinder= heavy duty paint removal, rust removal, steel cutter.

man i wish i had a plasma cutter!

Status
Not open for further replies.