Point to pointless ignition

xtratoy

Reaction score
I have a 5 hp flathead Briggs & Stratton engine with points and want to convert to newer electronic style. I have seen several articles about it but haven't seen the part # of the replacement coil I need to accomplish this.

Snaker

Reaction score
Here's one of several video's from Taryl Daktyl. He gives part numbers throughout the video. The first and last couple minutes are a little extra.

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
"Pointless ignition." Is that like wasted spark ignition? 🤣

You'll see it referred to in parts manuals using the general terms "breakerless" or "solid state."

xtratoy

Reaction score
I saw a video that said part #397358 but he said there are 2 different parts with that number one had oval holes where the screws attach it and the other had square holes. He said rounded hole coil would not fit. Anyone know about this?

Last edited:

karl

Reaction score
Just punch the model number stamped on the engine into any briggs parts lookup.

Jacks small engines, parts tree, your local mower shop, ect.

Then it will give you the newest, superseded part # for the coil you want, that fits right.
The replacement points style coils are NLA, the magnetron is the replacement.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
Here's one of several video's from Taryl Daktyl. He gives part numbers throughout the video. The first and last couple minutes are a little extra.

yes taryl is a very good resource for all things small engine. I find that he is very good at explaining things

jmaack

Reaction score
i am going to have to try one for model 130202. my 74 is so hard to start and such a weak spark. it will barely bite you when you turn it over touching it. I have cleaned and adjusted points and still the same thing. I wonder if lowes has a replacement that fits. can anyone point me in the right direction also?

thought about throwing a 3hp flywheel and known good coil that I have on it but honestly don't want to pull it back apart again unless fixing right.

karl

Reaction score
i am going to have to try one for model 130202.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

To look up parts you want the rest of the # to be sure, 130202-XXXX-XX

Briggs's engines were not intended to be throwaways (cough harbor freight) , so every model has a complete parts breakdown for
a servicing dealer to do their job without guessing if a part will fit.

But for example

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...299/130202-0015-99/blower-hsg-flywheel-rewind

#333 in the diagram is the coil, it gives #397358

Sounds familiar, just punch your whole number into the fancy computing site, and you can be sure.

I saw a video that said part #397358

The upgrade kit even comes with a snip of paper instructing you how to snip the points wire and install it.
No fake teeth or personality required, but by all means don't let me stop you

karl

Reaction score
130202 0492-01

Interesting. Im not at work, so no dealer software,

but im not finding that exact #

I did find 130202-0492-99, should be identical, but maybe intended for a different oem/ equipment manufacturer.

shop.briggsandstratton.com/pages/parts-lookup#/Briggs_%26_Stratton/130202-0492-99/Blower_Hsg%2cFlywheel%2cRewind/130202049299/5530003AA/y

It however gives the same #397358 for the coil, replacing the original #298316 unit. so im confident that is the right one for you.

jmaack

Reaction score
Interesting. Im not at work, so no dealer software,

but im not finding that exact #

I did find 130202-0492-99, should be identical, but maybe intended for a different oem/ equipment manufacturer.

shop.briggsandstratton.com/pages/parts-lookup#/Briggs_%26_Stratton/130202-0492-99/Blower_Hsg%2cFlywheel%2cRewind/130202049299/5530003AA/y

It however gives the same #397358 for the coil, replacing the original #298316 unit. so im confident that is the right one for you.
thats the one I found also. whats weird is the shroud is different from what I've seen instead of the rope coming out at say 10 11 o'clock mine is about 1-2. never seen one like it and couldn't find the whole part number only the model.

Last edited:

karl

Reaction score
thats the one I found also. whats weird is the shroud is different from what I've seen instead of the rope coming out at say 9-10 o'clock mine is about 1-2. never seen one like it and couldn't find the whole part number only the model.

The pictures in the breakdown are the same for the whole family, covers lots of models. They are just for reference, not an faithful depiction.
But Ill check tomorrow, and see if I can find the exact one for you.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
The starter orientation can easily be changed with a drill and a decent nut and bolt set, it doesn't really matter. Might be a hint to the engine's original use though.
Do note, I have a flattie ending in 99, and it's identical with ones ending in 01 as far as I'm concerned. The first two sets of numbers are the ones that matter, don't worry too much about the last two numbers.

karl

Reaction score
Do note, I have a flattie ending in 99, and it's identical with ones ending in 01 as far as I'm concerned.

I flipped through the 130202-130299 product line (over 200 variations) and I think the 99 means snow/winter trim.
Every one I clicked ending in 99 has sno-gard trim. 01 and up are normal weather.

Why Jmaack's engine is not in the product line is weird, only the type 0492-99 snow engine.

jmaack

Reaction score
I flipped through the 130202-130299 product line (over 200 variations) and I think the 99 means snow/winter trim.
Every one I clicked ending in 99 has sno-gard trim. 01 and up are normal weather.

Why Jmaack's engine is not in the product line is weird, only the type 0492-99 snow engine.
thanks for the help. there's the numbers on shroud.

Attachments

• 20201102_083717.jpg
    20201102_083717.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 3

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Oh doof, my bad. I have the 01 ending model, not the 99. Sorry! At any rate, my 01 ending 130202 is still just about identical the the 99 ending parts manual.