Pnuematic wheels: Live axle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotmullion

Mechanical nut
Reaction score
On my current (totally homebuilt) minibike I have a 10 inch, pnuematic, 5/8 bore wheel, with bearings. Now, I want live axle and although my current setup is holding, it consists of increasingly large box section welded to the hub so no weld is exposed to the bearing. The other end of the box section is fixed to the shaft. I would prefer a more rigid and conventional soloution. My question is: How can I make a wheel with bearings live axle?

Attachments

• 3551979.jpg
    3551979.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 3

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Easy. You just weld the bearing shut and weld the bearing to the hub and the bearing to the axle. I've seen it done before.

Cotmullion

Mechanical nut
Reaction score
Easy. You just weld the bearing shut and weld the bearing to the hub and the bearing to the axle. I've seen it done before.

Weld it shut? You mean weld a line from the bore to the rim of the bearing? That metal is too thin, and even if it dosen't burn through, think of the strain on the weld.

Cotmullion

Mechanical nut
Reaction score
I've done it before on a cheap kart. Strain what? All of what 5 hp? Trust me it will hold!

How about a peice of flat section which the shaft goes through in the centre, and is welded at the hole, and then either end is bolted to the hub by replacing 2 of the existing ones with longer bolts?

Status
Not open for further replies.