Pillow Bearings, any good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter16

Reaction score
Pillow Bearings, any good ? / Few new questions.

Im new here, so i will try and search through some old threads before asking the same noob questions that have been answered 50 times.
well ill start off by describing my situation.
i spent a week researching kart designs, and this website was sooooo helpful especially the pics of the green 2 man kart.
Any how, i drew up designs and welded a frame together yesterday. I have built a full prototype of the front end, so im pretty familiar with the steering concept.
its mainly the rear end that has me baffled.
first question, im going to set up a live axle and was wondering do many if you use pillow bearings, the ones you bolt straight onto the frame? they seem like the cheapest and easiest type. Will they be good enough?
I live in Australia and all the cheap USA parts cost a fortune to get sent here, but i have found that these bearings are not too bad (couldnt find any on australian ebay)

2nd question, with the rear axle, there are "key ways" cut into it right? and when you get a sprocket holder or a disk break holder they also have a keyway cut into them as well, then you buy the appropriate key and that is how they are held in place? Thats my understanding anyway. Am i on the right track.

3rd question, what do you use to stop the axle sliding side to side, i assume there is a "collar" or somthing in place which restricts its movement?

anyway sorry for the long thread and sounding like another one of those noobs.:ack2:
finnally here is the frame so far,

cheers
Peter

Last edited:

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
1st answer- as long as you dont go 100kmh you should be good

2nd answer- you got it, just make sure the axle has them already cut

3rd answer- right on

sayre315

Rupp enduro
Reaction score
some pillow blocks have set screws in them
also when puting a sproket or something like that with a keyway
it also has a set screw in there that you tighten down (set screws are also known as "grub screws")

Peter16

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys.
I doubt my 110cc quad engine will go over 100km ?

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
if geared right anything will hit 100kmh

50kmh should be no problem and youll still have good acceleration

Peter16

Reaction score
sounds good,

i drew a picture of my understanding how you assemble live axle,
from left to right

pillow bearings bolted to frame>>>hub screws onto threaded tip of the axle(usually has a nut to hold it on? forgot to draw it)>>>then th rim bolts onto the hub, and different rims have different stub patterns for example some have 4, some 3, some 5 and some 1>>>then the final nuts which hold the rim onto the hub.

hopefully i got this right.

Peter16

Reaction score
okay, i got my front tyres today, and on the weekend, i will be welding up my spindles, just 2 questions.

how tight should the wheel sit on the bolt/axle? a snug fit? and how loose is too lose?

2ndly, how tight should the vertical pipe sit on the bolt that goes through the "C" bracket ? i am talking about the pipe that pivots. the tighter the better? just enough so it can rotate?

thanks.
Peter

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Yes I did break a weld on the rear hubs and new hubs are coming in. We re-welded it but it messed up the hub clearences and they where so cheap there not worth re-honing it. And if your using those wheels with press in cheap bearings, Your going to have nothing but trouble. We used those rims with the press in bearings and just puting around the pits @ the race track destroyed them. Now im going with real 4 bolt rims in the front with 4 bolt sealed tappered rollar bearings. And when I used those cheap press fit bearings there was quite a bit of slop on my front spindle.

Status
Not open for further replies.