Picked up a pair of mini karts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentrek

Reaction score
Just picked them up, I will post pictures here in just a little bit. I will need help identifying the motors and what is compatible, 1 is seized and missing a part I will need to find. Other than that they overall in pretty nice condition, just a little smaller than I was expecting.

Sentrek

Reaction score

OK, I believe all the parts are there except the one with the seized motor is missing the black clutch cover thingy. Anyone know what these motors are so I find the part(s) I need?

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
feel comfortable telling me the price tag on theses two?they look like homemade karts with some 49cc mini bike motors, like from mini pocket bikes. it seems someone just tried to play with it with that exhaust on the red one. they look like two stroke motors. with the right gearing you can be around 25-30mph. with the wrong, possibly 5 mph on redline

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Interesting rear axle arrangement. This close to being a live axle, dead easy to convert.

What I'd do- Rebuild the fried engine, and put it on the kart with the good engine, making a twin engine micro-screamer.

Take the second kart, convert to live axle, and drop in a 6.5.

Sentrek

Reaction score
I paid $125 for the pair.
I did not even consider how easy it would be to convert to a live axle...hmmmm... maybe.. well see how it goes. The plan was to just clean them up, paint them to match and sell them as a matched pair, but well see what happens as I get into them. These things are small though, a 6.5 would be way overkill on them...

Sentrek

Reaction score
A few pictures for size comparison. The blue kart is my sons (6) little kart that I can barely fit on as it is, and I am only 5'9" & 170lbs.

Well, I do have some good news already, the motor that was supposedly "seized" was not seized at all, I pulled the plug and pull start and turned it backwards, one of the clutch "shoes" or "pads", whatever you want to call it, was broke off and lodged inside the engine case. as soon as it fell out the motor turned right over. I cleaned the carb, poured some 2 stroke gas down inside the carb and with about 3 pulls it started right up and ran great. This will be an easier less expensive flip than I thought.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Wow, that is small, isn't it? C'monnn... Think of what an absolute tire-fryer it would be with a 6.5! With the live axle, you could go all day spinning donuts in the WalMart parking lot!!! LOL

Sentrek

Reaction score
Yeah, they are small. If i sit in the seat and then use my arms to pick my legs up and fold them up so I can my feet up in the frame I can fit on it... lol
Yeah, am all for overkill and tire frying but i dont think a 6.5 would fit without extensive mods.

kaymo

Reaction score
yeah a solid axle would be as easy as a 6 sided hollow "tube" and easily removable. just got to make sure the threads are the right way otherwise it would just unbolt your axle for you!

and id look into some brakes before i dropped in a 6.5!! even if kart brakes arent that good, its better than no brakes!

anyone use an anchor on their go kart? :D

Sentrek

Reaction score
Yeah, I have no interest in modding these. I still have the other project I need to finish first. I just bought these to hopefully flip em and make a few extra bucks towards my other hobby.

Sentrek

Reaction score
I need some opinions.....
I can get the parts to fix the motor on the orange kart for about $55, I can get a brand new motor for $75, or I can get a new stage 2 racing motor with big bore kit for $130. I want them to match so if I get the stage 2 motor I'd have to get two, I think they would be bad *** and look cool as hell on these but I don't know if I'd ever get my money back out of them if I went that route...

kaymo

Reaction score
just keep them as cheap as possible if u are sellin them. makingthem too fast with no brakes will be hard to sell to most parents imo

Sentrek

Reaction score
Yeah, I just found a local guy on eBay selling new complete motors for $59.00 shipped. They do have disc brakes on them though, you can see the disc behind the sprocket in the one close up picture.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Well, what's your time worth to you? If you can get a new engine for little more than repair parts, it might be worth your while to spend the extra $$. PLUS- A "brand new" engine will be worth a couple extra points on the resale.

Sentrek

Reaction score
My time isnt worth that much... If i am not working on something in the garage I am laying on the couch looking on craigslist for something to work on or surfing ebay for money. I just wonder what I might be able to get for them???

mine721

Reaction score
mini karts

if u like them keep them.U can always resale them after u fix them.someone who has small kids would love to have something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.