Personal Belongings

l008com

Reaction score
As mentioned in a previous post, I'm thinking about taking my kart on a long-ish trip. Usually I just screw around on the thing for a few minutes at a time and thats about it. But I'm thinking of taking it on a several hours long journey.

My kart is a Manco Dingo, aka Pocket-Emptier-3000. It is impossible to keep your belongings in your pockets when you're driving around in this thing.
Going on a longer trip, I would like to bring my basic belongings with me. Keys, phone, wallet etc. So I need something I can use to keep these items secured, and that something itself has to be able to be locked on tight so it doesn't get lost in the woods.

Maybe some kind of bag or pouch that can attach to the steering pedestal?

Any thoughts? What do you guys do with belongings, those of you that go for long rides on small karts?

anderkart

Reaction score
Some of these little 6-pack cooler bags have zippered compartments for your stuff. Some even have snaps on the carry strap; so you could use it's own straps to help secure the cooler to your buggy. ~ They're handy for drinks and food too ;) 1705237581221.png

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I used to just keep stuff in the car and only carry what I absolutely needed. Cash (paper only) drivers license and xtra car key baby pinned inside my shirt.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
"Honey, I am going for a drive"
"Ok, be sure and take your driver's license"
"Oh I won't need that"
"I beg your pardon?"
"Not taking the car"
"The #$% are you talking about?"
"Going travelling in the Dingo"
"......."
"Did you hear me? Going travelling in the Dingo"
"Where did you say we keep the life insurance policy?"

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
"Honey, I am going for a drive"
"Ok, be sure and take your driver's license"
"Oh I won't need that"
"I beg your pardon?"
"Not taking the car"
"The #$% are you talking about?"
"Going travelling in the Dingo"
"......."
"Did you hear me? Going travelling in the Dingo"
"Where did you say we keep the life insurance policy?"
That is not how that conversation would go.

“Honey, I am going for a drive”
“Ok, what’s her name?”
“Huh, have you seen my cargo pants”
“Do you still love me”
[Thinking in head]
“Adjustable wrench, vise grips, 10, 8, 13mm sockets”
“Am I fat?”
“Babe, make me some snacks? Please”
“Make your own f*ing sandwich”

l008com

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this and upon further reflection, what I really need is something like a cloth bag, like a small harbor freight cloth work pouch, but with more internal compartments and dividers, AND some heavy duty metal eyelets so I can attach it to the steering column somewhere and have it be a permanent "glove box" type deal on the cart.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Why were gloves so important at one point that an entire box was needed to be put into automobiles to keep said gloves?

Attachments

• IMG_5003.jpeg
    IMG_5003.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
There are many differing answers to that question depending on the year it’s asked.
In the early days of the automobile gloves were worn for protection to later days worn for a fashion statement.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
There are many differing answers to that question depending on the year it’s asked.
In the early days of the automobile gloves were worn for protection to later days worn for a fashion statement.
When the glove box was invented, what were the hands being protected from?

I assume most cars were driven by hardworking men with calloused hands. Maybe only soft handed men could afford to drive?

Or splinters from wood steering wheels?

Or were gloves to protect hands from steam explosions? Were glove boxes in steam powered cars?

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I was curious, Rudimentary research says some wheels were metal and some were wood.

No cars had internal heating.
Hands got cold.
Metal wheels were cold in winter. Hands hot and sweaty (slippery) un summer.

Wood wheels gave splinters.

Glove box introduced around 1900-1915 in cars like Packard or Pierce-Arrow

Side note
Steam and electric vehicles were more popular than internal combustion until the invention of the electric starter.

I guess hand cranks and backfires were known to break arms… unless you had Gucci gloves. Lol

Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
If your going back to the beginning of automobiling they were worn for protection. The elements, the fluids, and a fashion statement. Back then the automobile was a rich man’s toy. It wasn’t until the model t came out that the “Every Man Car” was invented for us commoners. Model Ts never had glove boxes. It wasn’t until the b models came out in 32 that ford finally got them. GM had glove boxes much earlier along with Chrysler. Please don’t ask me about cigar lighters.

l008com

Reaction score
Ok sorry to derail your automotive discussion with my off-topic go kart storage reply :p but . . .

I think I found my solution! A small frame mounted pack for a bicycle! They come in many shapes and sizes including trianglar ones. I should be able to strap it to the rollcage and crossmember right above the steering wheel.Or potentially some other places too. Hopefully I can find one thats on the small side AND has two zippers so I can clip them together to insure no accidental dumping of belongings.

Or even better than a frame pack might be the smaller seat pack! Those can really fit anywhere. I think I might borrow some friends bags to see how they mount. If I get just the right size pack, it will stay nice and snug and not be swinging all over the place when I'm driving over bumps.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
The answers are hard to fine due to a lack of sophistication. The storage area in question is called a "glove compartment". Personally I use a cardboard box.

Tu tony

Reaction score
Years ago I had a Frankenstein mini bike. For storage I use a 20”long piece of 4”PC pipe. Glued a cap on the bottom and lightly sanded the inside of the top cap so it went on easy (never popped off). The PC plastic will bend with a heat gun to fit better up against the frame. Had it mounted between my legs in front of the engine attached to the frame with large zip ties. Made another one 2 1/2’ long that fit up under my son’s dune cat and another small one for the spare Frankenstein 653F99D5-B019-46A2-8A49-3E543D579299.pnggo kart. It’s under the padded steering column.