Old Frame New Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHandsome

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Maine
Hey DIYGK! Im glad I stumbled across this place, its a library of knowledge and has been a great help so far. Small engines has recently become an obsession... Im good with my hands but super green with engines, everything is new to me... so try to stick with me, ha.

Anyways, I got me an old frame not too long ago and decided to throw one of them predator 212s on it.

http://i62.tinypic.com/14jvtd1.jpg

The frame is solid, got it in a wicked trade... I feel I made out on my end. Nothing is out of place as far as moving parts, it came with a 5hp briggs&stratton but was missing an air filter, throttle return spring, some carb parts. I took it apart and put it back together a few times just to learn some ins and outs.

The karts got these brake bands.

http://i57.tinypic.com/1264m0l.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2cwkh7d.jpg

12" slicks 7"rims, no suspension(clearly). I want to maybe add suspension at some point, what would that require? Welding? It has a 45T sprocket and had a 10T centrifugal clutch on the shaft of the briggs. I plan on replacing the clutch with a new centrifugal one, and upgrading to a torque converter in the future. Which then leads to my problem I suppose. Im having issues removing the hub(?) from in front of the sprocket...

http://i58.tinypic.com/296n1hu.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/t0npck.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/280jijd.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/34o2ff4.jpg

What would be my best approach on removing this hub to get at the sprocket? Im going to need to change that out for this clutch...
http://www.bmikarts.com/Inferno-Fury-34-Bore-Racing-Clutch-from-Hilliard-_p_731.html
Any good? It comes in 12T-19T, and is asking for #35 chain.
Im assuming the current sprocket isn't fit for a #35 chain...
I was going to go with a 12T clutch with a 60T sprocket.(5:1 right?) Is that a good ratio to have with 12" tires?
Anyways, thanks for your time reading my rant. Glad to be here, any help will be greatly appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • 14jvtd1.jpg
    14jvtd1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 280jijd.jpg
    280jijd.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 2
  • t0npck.jpg
    t0npck.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 296n1hu.jpg
    296n1hu.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 2cwkh7d.jpg
    2cwkh7d.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1264m0l.jpg
    1264m0l.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 34o2ff4.jpg
    34o2ff4.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
I want to maybe add suspension at some point, what would that require? Welding?

A lot of unnecessary work. If you want a kart with suspension, it's best to start from scratch...

It has a 45T sprocket and had a 10T centrifugal clutch on the shaft of the briggs. I plan on replacing the clutch with a new centrifugal one

Why? what's wrong with the existing clutch?

Im going to need to change that out for this clutch... Any good? It comes in 12T-19T, and is asking for #35 chain.
Im assuming the current sprocket isn't fit for a #35 chain...
I was going to go with a 12T clutch with a 60T sprocket.(5:1 right?) Is that a good ratio to have with 12" tires?

Is there any reason you need such an extreme clutch? A basic clutch will do the job & are available with #40/41 10t sprocket, no extra work needed...

What would be my best approach on removing this hub to get at the sprocket?

Well, if you change your mind on the clutch, this part will be unnecessary but, it's not difficult so, have a think about the clutch first & let us know if you still need help with it...

Welcome to the forum
 

MrHandsome

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Maine
Thanks Fabroman for the response.

No biggie I can always get a second frame for a future project with suspension, thanks.

I saved the old clutch from the briggs, but theres a part of it left on the old crankshaft that's just seized right up... I hit it with wd40 a few times let it soak in and tried prying it off but at the same time I don't want to eff it up. How can I release this thing without damaging it?

http://i60.tinypic.com/jq6l1g.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/vomt5h.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/6s718p.jpg

I wouldn't mind this being a simple build so I guess I just need a little direction. What can I expect out of the current setup if I re-use or purchase a new 10T clutch with the 45T sprocket?
Just out of curiousity, why is the clutch I linked prior "extreme"? What would the performance difference be?
Thanks for your time.
 

Attachments

  • jq6l1g.jpg
    jq6l1g.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 3
  • vomt5h.jpg
    vomt5h.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 4
  • 6s718p.jpg
    6s718p.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

jslider

New member
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Location
phoenix az
Looks like that is a bearing cap on the hub, remove that cap, and i will bet dollars to dognuts that there is a nut that holds it on there.

As for clutch if you cant get that one off and have to buy a new one then you would probably be fine with a good centy clutch, you could probably get better speed with a convertor style the other guys will have to chime in on that.

Either way that is a cool little cart and should be a blast.
 

MrHandsome

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Maine
Thanks jslider, appreciate your time. Ill check it out and see if I cant get that hub off.
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Looking at one pic....I can see where there was a set screw that isn't there. ....Just to be sure. ....no others right? ?????

WD-40 is not the best rust buster out there. .....PB Blaster is better. .....

A puller could help too and you might be able to rent one for free from AutoZone or O'Reilly's.........assuming you live in a country that has them. ......

Please fill out your profile so we know where you are from. .....

Oh....and that hub.....knock off that dust cover....and there will be a big axle nut underneath. ....
 

MrHandsome

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Maine
Looking at one pic....I can see where there was a set screw that isn't there. ....Just to be sure. ....no others right? ?????

Yeah Ive got the set screws set aside... All I had on deck at the time was some wd-40 but I did throw some nut buster on there last night.
I haven't gotten to the hub yet but ill give that a go tomorrow.

Fabroman... thanks for the puller idea, that thing is brilliant. Im going to grab what I need for the puller tomorrow and give it a shot.
 

MrHandsome

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Maine
Hey all been MIA for a few, I work on the road so I packed up and left before I was able to try out that clutch puller. Can I find that stuff at a Home Depot? Anyways while bored in my hotel room I ordered some parts for the predator and kart. Got a new clutch, jets for the carb, angled air filter and adapter, breather kit, and exhaust. I plan on picking up the rod, flywheel, cam and springs in the near future. My parts have arrived at my house and Im dying to unbox them but I wont be home until the 24th and Ill upload pics when I do.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top