nitromethane in a go-cart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtrider69

Reaction score
:idea2:
hey did anyone ever put a mixture of nitromethane (like the stuff for R/C cars) in their carts my friend put a little of it in his dirtbike and it took off like crazy:arf: . i was just wondering if anyone did it or i would like to hear your opinion on it.
thank you
Tom

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
i have a 5 hp briggs and i was just gonna put a little bit mixed in with a full tank of gas no mods or anything......bad idea?
Depends... If any part or carb is brass (common in float construction) or viton (synthetic rubber seals) it will eventually self destruct. If engine is not high compression you're just wasting money and won't realize any significant power increase if any at all. Engines that use this stuff are specifically designed for it. Carburetor jets have to be enlarged and ignition timing has to be advanced to compensate for different combustion characteristics.
Price also has to be considered. Roughly $15 to $30 a gallon or more. Is it worth the risk? Not even a little bit.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I highly don't recommend it! Like Russ said, it requires special equipment. The fuel contains oil in it's mixture and it will gum up your carb or deform some gaskets! I tried it once on a weed whacker engine and I ended up having to take the carb completely apart to clean it because of the nitro. :oops: The carbs on some of those little R/C engines are really simple compared to even the smallest weed whacker engine.

Yes it seems pretty cool the first time you try it but it's not worth it.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Yeah I have a rc car all it is a fuel regulater (high speed needle) where the fuel enters then all it is a slide and a pin that fits inside of a hollow tube that leaks a bit so it has enough fuel to idle then when you open the throttle up it just jets in right in (bad fuel milage)

Jblankster

Reaction score
DO NOT DO IT! all it is is higher octane fuel. and the engine needs to be properly set up for it. unless you do all of that (expensive), DONT.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
all it is is higher octane fuel.
Higher octane in itself is not the problem. Higher octane is a good thing provided engine can utilize it.
Average engine is low compression and elevated octane fuels used in these engines does nothing and is just adding unusable fluff.
High compression engines tend to *autoignite (audible metallic knock) if low octane fuel is used. Low compression engines generally do not have this problem and therefore higher octane fuels are just a waste of money. High octane is not more powerful and actually burns more slowly.
*Autoignition is the ability to ignite in the absence of an ignition source such as in a diesel engine.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Ohh yeah nitro can be a pain in the:censored: It can be very harmfull if not properly set up like the timing, carburation valvle lift and everything. And even then a alcohol and nitro based fuel requires bigger jets in the carb. My junior dragster is a modified briggs putting down 50 horsepower and it will burn 2 and 1/2 litters of alcohol in 30 seconds. And concidering the price of nitro is insane 32-38$ a gallon here. And requires many engine teardowns and checks so its not worth getting a blown off cylinder head fried valves ruined carb. Good idea though.

RED-85-Z51

Reaction score
Ive got a Genuine Honda GX-200, 14cc high-comp head, shaved about 0.010, then timing advanced 4*, and a GX-160 flywheel installed, Cut every other cooling fin off the fan, 140 E-tube, opened the main jet up just a hair over stock. After doing these mods, I had so much detonation on 87 it was scary to run it at all.

So I went to 93 premium, and it still had some pinging when it got hot, and was under a load.

I then picked up some 35% nitromethane, and Ive mixed it at I believe 3 ounces to a gallon of 93, and it stopped knocking, I also went to a Cooler spark plug, an NGK BPR8ES. So far, Ive put a couple gallons through it, off the governor and it seems to be taking it well, plug always looks great, and the motor doesnt seem to be under any duress.

RED-85-Z51

Reaction score
Ill also add, This is Nitromethane, not R/C car nitro fuel. This was designed for use in race engines, high comp engines, etc.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
I highly don't recommend it! Like Russ said, it requires special equipment. The fuel contains oil in it's mixture and it will gum up your carb or deform some gaskets! I tried it once on a weed whacker engine and I ended up having to take the carb completely apart to clean it because of the nitro. :oops: The carbs on some of those little R/C engines are really simple compared to even the smallest weed whacker engine.

Yes it seems pretty cool the first time you try it but it's not worth it.

If you get the nitro with castor only, it will gum up. They now give you castor/synthetic blend. Castor lubricates, synthetic cleans it up.

Also, gasoline usually has a 9-12% of oil in it. I've seen some 20% nitro and 12% castor/syn. blend. Gotta try that :D

I like karts

Rotary Power!
Reaction score
I dont know about you, but I used just a little bit in a tank of gas (I added rc car 20% nitro) and It burned straight thru the gas lines and ate the primer bulb within seconds....

It was awesome!!:rolleyes3:

oscaryu1

Reaction score
I dont know about you, but I used just a little bit in a tank of gas (I added rc car 20% nitro) and It burned straight thru the gas lines and ate the primer bulb within seconds....

It was awesome!!:rolleyes3:

And hopefully you won't try that again. I've had people with an engine like mine adding nitro all day long. Works quite well. (modified, of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.