Newest $50 kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

XXXStevemanXXX

Reaction score
I would get the Honda GX240 if it was in great shape. I would also buy a TAV2 torque convertor and not even think about a centrifugal clutch because they cost the exact same money. Predators are good, but Honda is that much better. I also do NOT like the 3/4" shaft due to needing a bronze washer on the driver pulley which always ends up chewing up the belt and the 1" driver does not need use it and I have had no belt wear in hours of use on my 1" TAV2 setup.

Karts may be cheap to buy a frame, but the money is really in the details, I believe. I paid $150 for an entire running Margay, but then I had to spend $50 on Brake/Gas Pedals and a custom throttle linkage I built mirroring my shifter kart. Then, $90 for a rear caliper. Another $30 for seat support brackets.

I spent more getting the kart perfected then the whole kart itself cost, but I hope that because its built properly and all the ghetto is removed and replaced, it will last a long time as well.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
yaaaa, I'm not going all out with a tc, lol. Think of this as a "beater" for the kids to learn on. Once they get the real hang of it I'll end up getting a bigger one for them, then stripping this down for a complete rebuild, doing some upgrades, and reselling it.

Zombient

Junkyard Derelict
Reaction score
If I'm right, this is the "hemi", correct?

The Hemi predator in 49 states are item #60363.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
So I needed a new throttle cable, PO had the one on it cut way too short, and spliced with some steel wire. Looking it up at places around me seemed like I would be paying $10 for a 6' bike brake cable that would just barely reach, eh whatever. Stopped at home Depot to pick up some bolts for work, and just happened to see some 5/16 od by 3/16 I'd polyethylene tubing @ 10' for $2.47. Pick it up and start looking at it...hmm strong, can't crush it with a pretty hard press by my hands... flexible... kinda on the big side but....

So I carry it with me to the bolts, still thinking it over. Chain and steel rope is with the bolts. I spy some stainless braided rope...3/32" thick. ..0.33 cents a foot. Strong, flexible, stainless which is a big plus cause the bike cable was galvi. Slides in the tubing no problem obviously, hmmm.

So needless to say I grab 10' of that, figure I can play around with both and try to make a nice custom throttle cable. Worse comes to worse I'm out about $6, and sure I can find some use for it anyways. Think it'll work? Lol

Attachments

• 20150903_075321.jpg
    20150903_075321.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 9

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
O! I didn't even tell ya'll what my son (5) did to the new engine! Lol.

Little booger snuck into the garage when my back was turned, in about 5 seconds he was dumping gas into the oil fill!

I literally heard the door from the house to the garage open and was maybe 10 steps away. I heard it open and immediately went to go see, and he's pouring away! Logan No! Lol. But dad it needs gas! *facepalm*

I had just mounted the engine an hour before that. Hadn't filled the oil yet, just took the plug/cap off. Was getting something to eat then was gonna put oil in. I'm just glad he only got about a cups worth in it. Drained it, pulled the other cap, let whatever gas left dry out.

My kids a devil! Lmao.

Ya I'm tired, but I thought it was funny. He tries to help, and loves to learn, but just gets into everything.

OzFab

Reaction score
I could spend all day talking about "kids trying to help" situations; at the end of the day, they are just trying to help; as long as there's no permanent damage, all you can do is put it down to experience... for both of you...

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
Lol, don't get me wrong, I LOVE him trying to help. I've made it my mission to teach him everything I can about building and fixing. Sometimes though it's a headache, but as a parent what can you really do? Love em, and teach em, getting mad won't solve anything, and will just scare or scar them. No need for that.

I did have a good laugh over the gas in the oil fill, and really there was no harm done. I showed him today where the oil goes, and where the gas goes. I also made it a point to tell him that he is just too young to be touching gas, that's a daddy job until he's bigger.

As parents we don't get this time when they're little back, so we must spend every second very wisely. Teach them, show them patience, love, understanding, and how to respect, and hope it all sticks lol.

As far as the custom throttle cable went... worked for a minute, but there was just too much binding of the steel wire in the seething. Even with a good helping of lubricant it still would bind up. I've already come up with a use for both the wire and plastic though, so no biggie. Also ended up stealing a bike brake cable from my brother out of his junk pile, juuuusssstttttt long enough.

Took it for a test drive, everything was going good, hit 25mph on the gps. Went to turn around, hit the gas again, going good, all of a sudden I get a good jerkish speed up, then the chain pops. Inspected everything, and the clutch is now lopsided and locked up.

Kinda figured it wouldn't last long. O well, ebay for a new clutch I guess lol.

Here she is all finished, new engine, new front tires, adjusted tierods and seat, new sprocket.

Don't mind the mess in the background, wife's making me clean the garage and organize everything.

Attachments

• 20150904_185933.jpg
    20150904_185933.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 16

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
Got the new clutch installed finally, and everything adjusted right. Took the kids for a quick ride. Couldn't find the full helmets I bought for them since I cleaned the garage, BUT yes they are wearing a helmet. I would not let them ride without one, and it was my son's brilliant idea to bring me his sisters helmet lol.

Videos!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw0cqLvd6LY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rfnZBWTFv4o

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Lol, don't get me wrong, I LOVE him trying to help. I've made it my mission to teach him everything I can about building and fixing. Sometimes though it's a headache, but as a parent what can you really do? Love em, and teach em, getting mad won't solve anything, and will just scare or scar them. No need for that.

As parents we don't get this time when they're little back.

Very possibly the best words ever spoken since I joined this forum!

Zombient

Junkyard Derelict
Reaction score
O! I didn't even tell ya'll what my son (5) did to the new engine! Lol.

Little booger snuck into the garage when my back was turned, in about 5 seconds he was dumping gas into the oil fill!

I literally heard the door from the house to the garage open and was maybe 10 steps away. I heard it open and immediately went to go see, and he's pouring away! Logan No! Lol. But dad it needs gas! *facepalm*

I had just mounted the engine an hour before that. Hadn't filled the oil yet, just took the plug/cap off. Was getting something to eat then was gonna put oil in. I'm just glad he only got about a cups worth in it. Drained it, pulled the other cap, let whatever gas left dry out.

My kids a devil! Lmao.

Ya I'm tired, but I thought it was funny. He tries to help, and loves to learn, but just gets into everything.

When I was 3, I was "helping" my dad work on a lawn mower. I fell forward, busted my lip on one of the little blades on top of the engine's head, got 3 stitches.

Been working on small engines for over 20 years now. And I'm 26. Just here recently did I start getting into Predator engines lol.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
When he was 3 we were over my brothers house, and his wife has this flimsy metal craft stand/mini cart thing. Well he went running too fast, caught his leg on it and it fell on him. Gashes his head about 7" across (11 staples iirc). As soon as I saw him going down I was rushing to him. He looks at me, blood running down his head...and just starts laughing.

Now I wasn't in the laughing mood seeing my son's head cut open and blood everywhere, but he was just rolling. Put pressure on it with a towel and literally ran him to the hospital 2 blocks over. The whole way he's laughing and telling me he's fine, that he wants to play some more!

I swear the boy is impervious to pain. Most I've ever seen him cry from being hurt was for about a whole 2 seconds, and that's when he slipped off his bike seat into the bar on his... Ya lol.

No I'm not one of those guys that says men don't cry either, quite the opposite, real men aren't afraid to cry when they need to, to let their emotions out.

Thank you Poboy, that means a lot to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.