Newest $50 kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
I couldn't help myself, $50 and it's something my kids can have fun in. It looks on very good shape overall.

Of course I'll go through it, possibly strip it, tape the stockers off, and repaint eventually, but for now just get it up and running and make sure everything's ok.

I'm suprised my big but kinda comfortably fits on it with enough room for a kid to squeeze in lol.

Attachments

• 20150810_132909.jpg
    20150810_132909.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20150810_132924.jpg
    20150810_132924.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20150810_132939.jpg
    20150810_132939.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 40

ghost civic

Reaction score
man, people around here want $100-$150 for frames...some without wheels. $50 for a complete kart is a sweet deal.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
150-200 for the frame around here is about normal as well, but sometimes you come across a good deal. This guy listed it on cl for 50 obo (older guy) and I was the first to respond.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
So this has a #35 chain. I want to regear it to make it a bit slower for the kids, and so that I can drive them around in it. As the research I've done says a 72 tooth #35 sprocket is about 8.59" in diameter, is this correct?

If correct it should be fine next to a 4.10x3.50x5 tire right?

Just want to double check before ordering anything.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
So I've been going through the manco over the weekend, well my weekend. Clutch seems a bit iffy, may have to replace. Put the new sprocket and chain on, newish front tires on. Drained the year old gas, and put some fresh in it just to see what it would do. Fired up first pull, but would only idle with half choke...

Took the carb off, noticed that the throttle connection was all lll screwed up, yay. Cleaned the carb throughly. Replaced everything, and fired it back up (didn't hook the pedal back up, just left it oem to test). Idled great, had it on stands so I full throttles it to see what the clutch would do...seemed to catch fairly fine. After about a minute of full throttle it just dies....

Hmm, start trouble shooting, compression check, gas check, spark....hello spark?

Took everything apart...rusty as all get out. CleaNed it all up, put back together. Fired right up, sounding great, revving great, then pop... see smoke/fumes rolling out around the head...

Hear scraping, hit kill switch...

Great.

Didn't take it apart, but can tell the head gaskets blown from seeing it, and I'm guessing that the rings might be trashed now, if not worse.

Briggs 130212... look up parts... best case scenario it's not worth the money and time for me to fix...well the money not that bad, but honestly I'm not putting the time into it.

Guess I either find a cheap replacement on cl, or get a 212 pred for it.

Already have too much on my plate to be spending the time on a full engine rebuild, which if I had the time I would do nothing short of that.

Eh oh well I guess, new engine, possible clutch, then the kids can ride.

On the upside there's a honda gx240 running on cl for 100, or a briggs 8hp for 50...hmmm go used, or get a new pred for $90???

Decisions decisions.

DirtyDamage

Reaction score
I'd go for the Honda personally if it runs well...just check all the things before buying and make sure it runs first. lol

Only see an engine blow once first hand(physically watching it) and that was an Briggs Raptor running on methanol. Was pretty wicked....

Anyways good luck with the kart...please post pics if you open up the engine...

OzFab

Reaction score
On the upside there's a honda gx240 running on cl for 100, or a briggs 8hp for 50...hmmm go used, or get a new pred for $90???

Decisions decisions.

Remember that both of those engine will have a 1" shaft (as opposed to the B&S's 3/4" shaft) so, either of those will involve a new expensive (around $100) clutch; although it would be great to have almose double the hp of the original engine, it will come at a price...

Also, they will have a bigger footprint than the 5hp B&S so you'll need to replace or modify the engine mount plate...

Both financially & time wise, I think your best course of action will be the Predator route, even if the existing clutch does need to be replaced (total cost of engine + clutch, around $130); even the 8hp B&S will cost you a minimum of $150, the Honda, around $200 without the time &/or expense of replacing the engine mount...

thisismyusername

Donut Eater
Reaction score
man, people around here want $100-$150 for frames...some without wheels. $50 for a complete kart is a sweet deal.

Yea there was a guy trying to sell a rusted mini bike frame, with nothing else, for 300 bucks, like are you on drugs or some thing? I would give him maybe 40 bucks for it.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Good points, I had not thought of the shaft size when I sae them on cl.

Pred it is.

You could also look into the pred 3hp if the kart is for kids.

kevin.st56

Reaction score
I remember getting my thunderkart complete with a Honda gx160 (i think) 5hp engine, and 145x70-6 wheels on it for i think $40.
the Honda ran well, but when you rev it high enough, itll just kill.
ended up buying a HF greyhound 6.5 and a new clutch from tractor supply, total for around $100 (HF coupons FTW).

its current condition, however, its on its second clutch, and the engine took in a large amount of water, so its parked until i either take it apart to clean, or just replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.