New to forum and just got a kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppy

Reaction score
Hello,
I just picked up a manco kart model 485-25 with the 5HP motor. The problem is the sprocket on the shaft is broke! I went ahead and removed the nut and the snap ring but I am not sure how to get the clutch off:confused: Does it just slide off or do I need a gear puller or is it threaded?

Last edited:

jarcynvicnchris93

Reaction score
hopefully I can help

Hello,
I just picked up a manco kart model 485-25 with the 5HP motor. The problem is the sprocket on the shaft is broke! I went ahead and removed the nut and the snap ring but I am not sure how to get the clutch off:confused: Does it just slide off or do I need a gear puller or is it threaded?

I just found a parts breakdown of your clutch I will post a link and hopefully some how to in a minute

jarcynvicnchris93

Reaction score
you prob could use a gear puller. but first I need to make sure I have the right clutch. I assuming when you say clutch you are referring to the driven of your Torque converter. So if this is the case it should slide off with a little persuasion. here is a link reference to a manual that should help. http://www.amsportworks.com/docs/ipls/gokarts/485_486/485486_operatorsmanual_48513.pdf if you go to the Torque Converter IPB (Illus. Parts Breakdown) you will see all the parts involved. The Driven is kept from spinning by key stock. You might try getting a oblong block of wood behind it and try driving with a rubber mallet. Try not to damage the driven itself.. good luck and let me know if I can help anymore.

Last edited:

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Just tap on the jack shaft with a dead blow hammer till it slides out. Or remove the other nut, slide the shaft with pulley out and do it that way.

peppy

Reaction score
Well! I got it out. I had to pull out the entire shaft and then heat it up with a torch and it finally broke loose with a lot of hammering. I was able to get the broken sprocket off but now I have to figure out if where to buy an 8 tooth sprocket?

peppy

Reaction score
Wouldnt happen to know which one I need, do you?:p I one I took off was broke in half and the other half is long gone by the previous owner.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Probably 5/8" ID, #420 chain, 9 tooth according to Manco manual(8 doesn't exist). Hub width can be measured with the chunk you have. A couple pics of whats left will help(side view especially)

jarcynvicnchris93

Reaction score
man I wish those pics would have been on there last night when I was looking at your post. Listen to Kenny he is giving you excellent advice. Glad you could get it off of the jackshaft. They sure can be a pain sometimes when they are not greased.

peppy

Reaction score
Have a problem understanding something. every site i go to looking for the sprocket has like # 40 or #35 chain but no 420? Is there a # the same as the 420? I went and looked at the chain in the garage and you were right with the 420. It was stamped on the side.

peppy

Reaction score
man I wish those pics would have been on there last night when I was looking at your post. Listen to Kenny he is giving you excellent advice. Glad you could get it off of the jackshaft. They sure can be a pain sometimes when they are not greased.

Yeah, He sure has been a help. This is my first go kart and never messed around with one. I took an emerycloth to the shaft and cleaned it up a bit. I have like 5 cans of antiseize:rolleyes3: i sure will be using some!

Status
Not open for further replies.