New here- Should I get TC for 5hp Dominator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker21

New member
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
I'm new to karts. Just purchased a really nice used Manco Dominator w a Subaru 5hp for my twin boys. I think it needs a new clutch. Is it worth it to change to a TC? Thanks for the help.
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
In the long run,a TC will provide quite a bit more fun to the kart,as long as its set up properly. Its basically a variable speed automatic tranny..... gives you a good low end grunt, then pulls ya to a better top speed....O yeah.....Welcome to DIYGK ,where some of us know a little and some of us know a lot. Together,WE KNOW IT ALL .... LOL
 

Parker21

New member
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Thanks. I was wondering if the dominator and the 5hp Subaru was worth the upgrade since its a small kart. I appreciate the feedback.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Welcome to DIYGK ,where some of us know a little and some of us know a lot. Together,WE KNOW IT ALL .... LOL

Hey, that could be our new slogan, nice one Jim :thumbsup:

In the long run,a TC will provide quite a bit more fun to the kart,as long as its set up properly. Its basically a variable speed automatic tranny..... gives you a good low end grunt, then pulls ya to a better top speed

The thing to remember is a centrifugal clutch will only fully lock at around 2200rpm; before then, it's sliding &, the lighter you go on the throttle, the more it will slip causing premature wear.

With a TC, that's not as important due to the design...

The real questions are:
1. How old are your boys?
2. What type of terrain are they driving on?

If the boys are younger (say, under 12) &/or driving on hilly terrain go for a TC. If they're older daredevils & only driving on road, you can get away with a cent clutch
 

Parker21

New member
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
They are almost 5!! My old neighbor had purchased it for his girls and it just sat in the garage. They rode it 2x! I paid $450 for it. The bad part is it set w gas for like 3 years. We had to clean the carb, change the fluids and spark plug. It still won't idle. I may have to replace the carb too. We drove it for awhile but now it seems the clutch is stuck.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Good choice, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it...

Re: Carb clean. There's cleaning a carb & then there's CLEANING a carb, which did you do? It's also very possible you have an air leak which will make it run poorly
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
597
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
You can do the old "boil the carb in lemon juice" trick. It works like a bomb. Just don't put any plastic or rubber pieces in. Use a twist tie metal thread to poke out all the holes
 

Parker21

New member
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
We disassembled it and cleaned with carb cleaner and sea foam. We used bread ties to poke all the holes.

Air leak? Where would I look for this?

I was surprised that I had to do anything to it really besides just clean the carb and change the fluids. It is a new kart.

The paperwork states it will go 22-24 mph. How fast will it go with the TC?
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
With gas sitting in a carb for 3 years, it will take quite an effort to get it thoroughly cleaned out. Since you say it won't idle, I'd say you'd best doublecheck that the pilot jet isn't clogged. You really shouldn't have to replace the entire carb, though.

With regards to the CVT, it usually is the superior choice for a yard kart. However, I must ask- is it a live axle, or dead? The difference is whether the engine drives one rear wheel, or both. Converting a dead axle (1wd) kart for use with a CVT can prove to be a bit more challenging with the clearances involved. In addition, all the extra torque from the CVT can create a lot of extra wheelspin when accelerating from a standstill.
 

Parker21

New member
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
so is it not the case that it's simply a bolt on procedure? I was expecting to just remove the clutch and install the Comet TAV2 system.

Landuse, what's the lemon juice trick for the carb?

Thanks
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
597
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
so is it not the case that it's simply a bolt on procedure? I was expecting to just remove the clutch and install the Comet TAV2 system.

Thanks

Installing a TC is generally a bolt on affair, but with a one wheel drive kart (with the sprocket attached to the wheel), you often find that you just don't have much space fo a TC to actually fit.

Post a pic of the manco for us to see, especially around the engine and sprocket area. It will help us give you a better opinion
 

Parker21

New member
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Okay, I'm at work so I don't have any pics with me. However, the sprocket isn't attached close to the wheel. It has a jackshaft. The engine sits in the center, therefore, all of the sprockets are in the center of the kart. Maybe this helps until I get the pics posted.
 

Parker21

New member
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Single spinner? I'm assuming you mean 1 seater by that. It's a two seater w roll cage. I'm not sure where I implied it's was a single seater.
 

souperman000

New member
Messages
2,466
Reaction score
11
Location
Westlake Village, CA
Single spinner? I'm assuming you mean 1 seater by that. It's a two seater w roll cage. I'm not sure where I implied it's was a single seater.

Nah he means a single spinner as in it only spins one wheel. :lolgoku: :oops:

Usually with the engine and sprockets in the middle it is a live axle (2wd, spins both rear wheels at the same time). Post some pics when you get a chance.

If you want to test if it is dead or live axle, put the kart so the rear wheels are off the ground and spin a wheel or the axle. If only that wheel spins, its a dead axle (unless there's a diff...). If both wheels spin, its a live axle.
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
If it is only a single drive tire, stick with a CC . You dont need/cant use to your benefit a TC (CVT) on a kart with only one drive tire. You'll be feathering the throttle a lot.....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top