New guy with go kart build in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

outcrydrummer

KART ART
Messages
364
Reaction score
0
Location
Greensboro, NC
Well I guess I'll go ahead and start a project thread.

What I have going on is basically a 1 seat kart with a honda 6.5 clone.

I've already got the go kart setup and running but this build is going to be more for the performance aspect of the engine.

I'll be ordering the new air intake and exhaust in a day or so and then I'll start hacking away at valve springs and eventually a billet rod and flywheel.

As for right now I believe I'm going to leave my governor on until I can afford the billet parts because I"m a bit of a lead foot and I'm sure I will be rev'ing the mess out of her :D

This is her in her current state. And yup thats a car battery running led lights on the front lol


And this is my next project. Looking for a 125cc 2 stroke motor and tranny right now for an on road project :D
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Looks like the start of a coupla cool rides- The one with the cage- I don't know what that is, but the bolt-together cage is interesting... I'll say this though- if the lighting is LED, you could save a lot of weight going to a little AGM or gel cell, such as used in a computer UPS or portable jump-start pack.


...And welcome to the forum!

EDIT- Do yourself a huge favour and put a floor in that second kart, and a harness or seatbelt in the first one.
 

outcrydrummer

KART ART
Messages
364
Reaction score
0
Location
Greensboro, NC
The car battery and lights I just had laying around and figured it would be cool since I like to ride at night. I'm going to put a 5 point harness in it and actually remove most of the frame. My head hits the two runners and I don't really like it and I feel like it will actually just twist up if it ever does flip so its out of there. Should save me some weight.
I plan to cut the cage but leave the rear section of it for engine protection.

The second kart is getting a floor and a lot of fab work done to it before any kind of real engine goes into it. I plan on welding up a floor, and half of a cage on that one and strapping on some 2 stroke fun :D
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Okay- further thoughts on safety- If you're cutting the cage off, leaving no occupant rollover protection, please do NOT install a harness. Cardinal rule as follows

Cage/roll bar/hoop? Harness
No rollover protection? No harness.
 

outcrydrummer

KART ART
Messages
364
Reaction score
0
Location
Greensboro, NC
Yeah your probably right there. Be easier just to leave it alone. I don't do much high speed stuff in that kart anyways, it's mostly my woods romper. I won't be doing too much performance stuff to it, just whatever I can to get all the bottom and mid range power out of it that I can.
 

souperman000

New member
Messages
2,466
Reaction score
11
Location
Westlake Village, CA
If you're cutting the cage off, leaving no occupant rollover protection, please do NOT install a harness.

with a harness and no cage you will get thoroughly thrashed if you flip, without a harness you can jump out/get thrown out therefore minimizing injury...thats kinda why school buses dont have seatbelts, think of unbuckling all those kids wile upside down! lol
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
On the flipside (pun intended), if you have a bar/hoop/cage, odds are VERY good you're going to get tangled in, or collide with the bars. Perhaps get partway clear and trapped half out of the rolling vehicle, so you NEED to be restrained inside. The other half of that is training yourself to keep your hands on the wheel as you go over. For some unknown reason, people have a tendency to put their hands out as they go over- maybe it's the brain thinking that you can stop the roll. Guess what- you can't. You WILL break limbs!

For a pretty explicit visual explanation of things, do a Youtube search on "Go Kart Crash", "Go Kart Jump" etc. Amazing.
 

outcrydrummer

KART ART
Messages
364
Reaction score
0
Location
Greensboro, NC
^^^^ true. That should keep it from rolling on top of me or pinning me under the kart as it rolls. I've been in quite a few rollovers and accidents and I've just about got it down to a science now :D
 

karl

Well-known member
Messages
2,449
Reaction score
718
Location
North east Ohio
The cart with no roll cage looks to be whats left of a manco dingo. My old one is below, thats what there supposed to look like.
 

Attachments

  • mancodingo$80 002.jpg
    mancodingo$80 002.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 31

outcrydrummer

KART ART
Messages
364
Reaction score
0
Location
Greensboro, NC
Yeah I think your right. Thats cool that you chimed in. I had no idea what kind of kart that was. I definitely have a lot of work to do to that one :D
 

outcrydrummer

KART ART
Messages
364
Reaction score
0
Location
Greensboro, NC
I made a little bit of progress. No performance parts yet. But I did remove the roll cage and cut it up to leave just the rear protection for the engine area of the kart.

The weight made quite a difference in acceleration. Feels like a different engine now lol.

I also sanded it back down again and repainted it gloss black. The paint didn't turn out as well as I wanted. It wanted to pool and not apply evenly.... not sure why as I sanded the mess out of it .

Pics here in a min.
 

outcrydrummer

KART ART
Messages
364
Reaction score
0
Location
Greensboro, NC






You'll have to excuse the red steering wheel and the glare it causes on the gloss black paint. I'm getting a new steering wheel today and my daughter wanted me to paint it red lol.
 

outcrydrummer

KART ART
Messages
364
Reaction score
0
Location
Greensboro, NC
The cart with no roll cage looks to be whats left of a manco dingo. My old one is below, thats what there supposed to look like.

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the rear wheel would you? like a side shot. Mine has a weird axle with a really weird wheel nut..?? if thats what you would call it. It's a circle and keyed on the inside so I can't even figure out how to remove it. Pic incoming.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top