New build, made parts today in shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
I ordered a new axle and tires from go power sports. My 3/4" axle is to thin and flexes when I hit bumps and the chain comes off.
 

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
I cut off the back part where the axle was mounted. I am making a new motor plate for the new section out of 3/16" plate. The one I made originally had some flex in it. I will build the entire motor mount/axle assembly as soon as my new parts come in and weld the assembly on all at once, ready to ride!

This has been fun for my first kart build. I am already planning another MUCH improved one based on what I have learned from this build. I have never done much fab stuff before.
 

Attachments

  • my cut off kart.jpg
    my cut off kart.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 3

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
New tires arrived

My new tires, axle and hubs arrived today. I put on a pair of golf car tires on the rear and set it behind the kart, it will be much improved. I put the new front tires on, they are much improved vs the Tractor Supply junk.

I will make the motor mount plate and a new pair of bearing brackets tomorrow and get the hardware to mount everything.

I also picked up a Manco Kart on Craigslist. It runs great with the big balloon tires on it and still has good acceleration with the torque converter. It is just to small for me.
 

Attachments

  • my new tires 2.jpg
    my new tires 2.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 7

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
I welded on the new rear frame part but ran out of wire in the MIG so I used the stick. I still need to grind he welds and touch up anything that I missed.

I made a new motor mount bracket and welded it on. It is 3/16" thick and is very rigid. I am still going to weld a tube under it to stiffen it more.

I made a new set of bearing hangers today but did not get them welded on yet. It dropped down into the 50's so it was good weather for welding with a jacket on but I was not to inspired to finish and ride it tonight. Us Florida boys have thin blood and cant take the cold!

This is the motor sitting approx. where it will go and the axle is about where I want it.
 

Attachments

  • my new rear.jpg
    my new rear.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 7

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
I got it all welded up tonight and took it for a test ride. The tires are at the limit of what the centrifugal clutch can launch with my weight on it. It gets plenty of traction with the live axle, big tires and only 6.5 hp.

The kart I bought has the same motor and even bigger tires but with the torque converter works much better. I will get one for this build later.

It started raining and got dark as I rode it so I could not get any outside pictures.
 

Attachments

  • my new drive.jpg
    my new drive.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 4

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
I am going to call this build finished. I still have to install a torque converter and seat, but for a first go kart it was a fun build. I have to put my effort into my 2017 build contest entry and stop playing around with this one and the little Manco I bought.

My new Kart has suspension, this one does not. At 20 mph on an average rough dirt road, it want to bounce off into the woods. I am not sure how much faster it is than 20 mph, probably 25-28 max, but I am afraid it would end up upside down in the woods if I went faster than 20 on dirt.
 

Attachments

  • my kart done.jpg
    my kart done.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top