New build, made parts today in shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
I drew up the spindles for the front wheel, motor plate and rear pillow block mounting plates and made them all today. I also had my daughter pick up a Predator 6.5 HP motor today.

I will post pictures as I can beat them out of my worn out phone.

This is the motor mount plate and pillow block mount. I cut them out of 3/16" steel plate on the CNC plasma cutter.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2020.jpg
    IMG_2020.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2021.jpg
    IMG_2021.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 6

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
Here is the spindle mount being drilled in the lathe for the 1/2" bolt. It is 1.1" OD metal.
 

Attachments

  • drilling sleeve.jpg
    drilling sleeve.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 6

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
This is the rest of the spindle mount in the mill, it is 3/8" thick metal.
 

Attachments

  • SM bracket.jpg
    SM bracket.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 6

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
Here are the completed parts and the motor. I still need to weld up the spindles. I made a press fit tight pocket to set the spindles in so they are perfectly straight. I did not cut the heads off of the bolts, I turned them down round in the lathe. They measured .621" when I was done so I made the pocket .620" x .27" deep. It does not break through where the 1/2" bold goes through.

I made the turning levers on the plasma cutter also. I bought two greese fittings that I will add as soon as it is all welded up so I dont mess them up while welding.
 

Attachments

  • all parts first day.jpg
    all parts first day.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 21

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
Here is a close up of the axle pressed into the sleeve that holds it. The sleeve was made from a solid bar of steel. The "C" shaped part that holds it all is 3/8" thick, made by cutting off a chunk of 3" square tube and cutting off one side, it was done on the band saw.
 

Attachments

  • close up axle.jpg
    close up axle.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 10

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Messages
2,468
Reaction score
132
Location
North West Arkansas
That all looks really good, along with a detailed description of the how's and why's. Well done, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the project take shape as it will no doubt be a well thought out, well executed build.
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
Nice looking work!
What are you building again?
Well Obviously a Kart but I don't think You mentioned and detail.
 

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
I am just making a basic old style go kart, with a lot of machined parts that I will make. I tried to do a Barracuda last year and got it all twisted during the build/welding, got aggravated with it, sold the GSXr 1000 motor I had for it and gave up. I still have a really nice rear end assembly I made for it and the front spindle assemblies, unfortunately they wont be of use for this build.

I am a machinist with a pile of fab stuff at home that I have not used much. I will start small and simple then work my way up in complexity as I get better at the fab stuff.

There is no part on any Kart (Or much of anything else for that matter) that I cant make.
 

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
What part of Florida are you in?
Central FL, near Daytona Beach. It was 80 here this afternoon but we are expected to have a cold snap tonight and it wont get over the low 70's all week :cool:

I worked out a cool design for a steering wheel today. I did not have time to draw it but will make the round outer handles tonight on my tube bender than draw the inside of it tomorrow and burn on the plasma cutter.
 

Ebrownie

Member
Messages
582
Reaction score
7
Location
Western Montana
Central FL, near Daytona Beach. It was 80 here this afternoon but we are expected to have a cold snap tonight and it wont get over the low 70's all week :cool:

I love the term "cold snap" when referring to December weather in the sixties. :) Montana won't get in the 60s until march or April. I'm a little jealous to be honest.
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
81° today in So Cal. But rain coming tomorrow and Sat and yes a Cold snap! Wont be but in the 60s for 5 to 7 days! :( I hate when it get in the 40s and high 30s overnight. Too cold!
 

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
I had some pillow blocks that have a 1.18" (Or close to this, metric I think) hole. I made a pair of bushings today to use my 3/4" axle shaft The bushings have the collar to keep them from going to deep into the block and rubbing on the mount, and it gives a place for the set screws. They are 6061 aluminum.

The photo shows one in the pillow block as it will be used and one turned over to show the other side.
 

Attachments

  • bushings.jpg
    bushings.jpg
    600.2 KB · Views: 7

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
I bought two of these tire/wheel sets for the rear driven wheels. They measure 5 x 4" bolt hole pattern for mounting to the hub. I dont have hubs that can mount on the axle and drive these so I am making them today.

I cut the billet to make them out of, it is 2.25" thick x 5" OD aluminum. It is starting out as one big heavy chunk. It will be much lighter once I mill away everything that is not needed. One is in the mill running the first side now. I will post pictures later when I get them done.

I am hoping a 3/16" keyway and a VERY tight fitting axle will be enough to drive these wheels/hubs with the little 6.5 Predator motor.
 

Attachments

  • wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 5

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
Dude I love your stuff you are building Some high quality parts.
But those are Some Budget wheels and tires.:huh:
 

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
Dude I love your stuff you are building Some high quality parts.
But those are Some Budget wheels and tires.:huh:

Baby steps.

I can toss the wheels and put on some good ones if these perform poorly.

The second hub is almost done, I will get it out of the mill in a second and post some pictures.

Everything I make for this will be top quality, purchased parts are subject to what I can get and will be upgraded as needed.
 

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
Here is a hub in the mill. It really trashed it with all of the chips.

This shows the hubs on the wheel. The pocket on he inside of the hub is a press fit over the shorter bearing boss on the steel wheel. It should center it perfectly. The bolt holes even line up!
 

Attachments

  • hub in mill.jpg
    hub in mill.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 8
  • wheel hubs.jpg
    wheel hubs.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 5

thinwater

New member
Messages
67
Reaction score
2
Location
Florida
This is the hubs before I cut the finger shapes and tried to add a little style to them. I am not good at style, just functioning parts.
 

Attachments

  • two blanked out.jpg
    two blanked out.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top