Never have weld anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

SloS13

Reaction score
You'd be amazed what you can do with the harbor freight flux core. Mine's a tank. Got the $50 harbor freight auto-darkening helmet. I couldnt imagine working without it.

rockstomper

Reaction score
I would not recommend looking at an arc with out protection!!

I used to work in a race car shop narrowing rear ends,The boss had the shop painted and the walls were white.
The way it's set up is a long bench down a wall that had black dividers between each station the rear end was passed down the line and I was working at the station that did the assembly witch was about 5 stations down from the welding.
I did not know what had happened to me in tell I went home for the day and went to sleep around 2 am in the morning it started I woke up with so much PAIN I could see right away my eyes were glued shut Got some help to go and put some water and get them opened, It was crazy if I closed my eyes they hurt and if I opened them the hurt and the tears just rolled out of my eyes no stopping it.So I went to the hospital to find out I had burnt the retina in one eye and a good burn in the other.

All this and I was not even welding??? It was the white walls in the shop!!!! The reflection from the arc bouncing off the walls and in to my eyes.

The boss had the shop repainted and paid for all my bills.My eyes are all healed now but I had to keep a patch on one eye for sometime.

I could have easily lost my eye site over that!! Use a 10,11,12 lens for arc welding or a auto darkening helmet is the way to go!!!

Rockstomper

Last edited:

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Ugh, I've heard about that, just like you, they've said it's painful even though you can't feel it right away! :eek:

So, be safe. ALWAYS wear protection. :cool: :bannana:

AutoMX

Reaction score
it's good to get some of these stories out, it's easy to get carried away watching those guys on TV who wanna look 'bad' or whatever u wanna call it, and how they weld by just blinking or covering up with a hand. well yea do that all you want but at some point you're gonna have to face the consequences...

sayre315

Rupp enduro
Reaction score
would it be a bad idea for a little 13 year old to start welding and could i use like a charcole gas mask to keep from breathing the fumes?

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
would it be a bad idea for a little 13 year old to start welding and could i use like a charcole gas mask to keep from breathing the fumes?

No a welding mask if your worried about fumes just have a 20" box fan nearby set on low to pull the fumes away. You can weld fine at 13, just takes brains, dont do something stupid.

ryf

Reaction score
for someone who is new to it, I'd tell them wear the mask, period, I don't mind my risks in life, but curiosity can cause blindness, you are working with the closest thing to the sun available at home when you are welding, and you shouldn't do anything close to staring at it, if you are new and learning where the wire goes, you need to be able to see what you are doing or it will look like pooh at minimum or you will weld something you can't afford to replace...

that said...I TACK without a mask all the time, I agree no one should weld continuously without a mask, (have several flip downs since there seems to be an audience and help around alot)to be fair I do wear safety rated sunglasses and turn my head with my eyes closed when I tack, which isn't enough for welding, but it is enough to do 2-3 seconds of tacking IMO. its not a "looking bad" thing, its a mix of laziness and being hurried to get as much as I can done when I can get to work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.