Need some help on my 224cc predator powered mini bike.

PhilMyas

Reaction score
We bought a 200cc x pro mini bike to mod and ride. We ended up with an engine that was basically given to us from our pastor. It was a 224cc predator, but it wasnt running. He said the engine was not at top dead center and it might need some adjusting. We opened it up, and after our inspection we decided the engine was toasted. We don't have the tools to repair it. There were pins missing on the side cover, the carb was not installed properly, the entire engine block was visibly damaged and scratched, and a few more things i forgot about. Because it had a decent carb and exhaust, we decided to buy a new 224 (even though a 212 would've worked) and put those parts on it. We mounted the carb properly and straight chained it, meaning it was geared pretty dang high. Basically there was so little low end torque you could barely get her moving when stopped. As soon as she started to go though, she would be gone. Anyways, we got the new engine set up, and we tuned the carb maybe correctly. We took her for a spin, and when she was going slow, full throttle would cause her to big down. We did remove the governor and everything, but if you can help me out with it bogging down that'd be great. Just to clarify, if you used like half throttle or less she would do just fine. Only full throttle would bog her down.

EDIT: We do have a clutch on it, and she does run decent except for the issue with full throttle bogging er down

Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The very first thing you are going to have to do is atleast put a centrifugal clutch on the engine. Then we will need to know chain size and number of teeth on the wheel sprocket. Because if the gearing is off it can cause the type of problem you have. Not using a clutch and going straight drive is a pain in the neck especially during the tuning phase.

Rat

Reaction score
We bought a 200cc x pro mini bike to mod and ride. We ended up with an engine that was basically given to us from our pastor. It was a 224cc predator, but it wasnt running. He said the engine was not at top dead center and it might need some adjusting. We opened it up, and after our inspection we decided the engine was toasted. We don't have the tools to repair it. There were pins missing on the side cover, the carb was not installed properly, the entire engine block was visibly damaged and scratched, and a few more things i forgot about. Because it had a decent carb and exhaust, we decided to buy a new 224 (even though a 212 would've worked) and put those parts on it. We mounted the carb properly and straight chained it, meaning it was geared pretty dang high. Basically there was so little low end torque you could barely get her moving when stopped. As soon as she started to go though, she would be gone. Anyways, we got the new engine set up, and we tuned the carb maybe correctly. We took her for a spin, and when she was going slow, full throttle would cause her to big down. We did remove the governor and everything, but if you can help me out with it bogging down that'd be great. Just to clarify, if you used like half throttle or less she would do just fine. Only full throttle would bog her down.

EDIT: We do have a clutch on it, and she does run decent except for the issue with full throttle bogging er down
Full throttle bog sounds like its just a result of the gearing.
Your geared so high that it struggles to move from a stop which would suggest your running out of engine power to turn it.

An old stick shift car would respond the same way if you were to try shifting from 2nd to 4th... it's just going to lug, bog, and just plain not like it

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
As myself and RLS are trying to say is tuning starts from the bottom up. It is all part of the system.
Step 1. Gear ratio that will work with the engine power band.
Step 2. Proper heat range spark plug.
Step 3. Proper sized jetting and carburetion. You can’t just come here and ask for help and ignore us when we ask you for information about the machine you are working on. Help us to help you please. We will also need tire diameter.

Reactions: Rat

Rat

Reaction score
As myself and RLS are trying to say is tuning starts from the bottom up. It is all part of the system.
Step 3. Proper sized jetting and carburetion. You can’t just come here and ask for help and ignore us when we ask you for information about the machine you are working on. Help us to help you please. We will also need tire diameter.
In all fairness spark plug range is the least of his issues.
Example 1&3 will be what destroys his build at the current rate he's going

PhilMyas

Reaction score
Full throttle bog sounds like its just a result of the gearing.
Your geared so high that it struggles to move from a stop which would suggest your running out of engine power to turn it.

An old stick shift car would respond the same way if you were to try shifting from 2nd to 4th... it's just going to lug, bog, and just plain not like it
That's what our guess was. I thought my brother was wrong about it, but guess not. That's the main reason I went into detail about the gearing. I knew that it might be part of the problem. Thanks 👍

PhilMyas

Reaction score

I don't know what size our tire is, it's whatever comes stock on the x pro 200cc. I could check but I think I already found the answer. The carb is a complete mystery to us, we don't know what it is. Not a mikuni. We do know that the carbs jet was drilled out slightly and ran perfectly after the adjustment.