Need setup advice

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
It was just for test alignment. It was late and I was tired last night. I overslept this morning, lol.

If I end up using anything like this the washer would be placed between the tubes and the steel mounting plate so the motor will sit flush with the tubes. It was just easier last night since I had short screws dropped in the holes to join the motor to the tubes.
At this stage of the built, you need to slow down, pay attention to detail here. A fridge full of adult cold beverages will be needed, πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚ 😹 πŸ˜†

Before you bring it off the stands, and you are 100% sure every nut and bolt are tightened, throttle returns to idle, kill switch works, belt, chain are straight. Crank 'er up and put a hot cycle on it. Throttle up and down, steady, 3000 rpm hold for about 10-15 secs, then snap to WOT and let fall down back to idle. Do this a few times, getting more temp in the engine. don't let it slow idle (under 2000) too long. It's best to turn the idle up around 2500 rpm or so, keeping temp up and oil slinging, while doing this. Have a adult cold beverage while it's running around 2500, then snap to WOT and let her come back down. Keep an eye on the chain, belt, anything that can come loose. After a couple or 3 adult cold beverages,while doing this, then turn idle back down to normal, not turning tires is good enough. Shut her down and go check everything again. Look for anything that came loose, looks loose, feels loose.

Get ' er off the stands and leave 2 black marks on your shop floor.

And I wanna a pic of a 🍺 sitting between them, πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚ 😹 πŸ˜† 🀣

Last edited:

joshw0000

Reaction score
At this stage of the built, you need to slow down, pay attention to detail here. A fridge full of adult cold beverages will be needed, πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚ 😹 πŸ˜†

Before you bring it off the stands, and you are 100% sure every nut and bolt are tightened, throttle returns to idle, kill switch works, belt, chain are straight. Crank 'er up and put a hot cycle on it. Throttle up and down, steady, 3000 rpm hold for about 10-15 secs, then snap to WOT and let fall down back to idle. Do this a few times, getting more temp in the engine. don't let it slow idle (under 2000) too long. It's best to turn the idle up around 2500 rpm or so, keeping temp up and oil slinging, while doing this. Have a adult cold beverage while it's running around 2500, then snap to WOT and let her come back down. Keep an eye on the chain, belt, anything that can come loose. After a couple or 3 adult cold beverages,while doing this, then turn idle back down to normal, not turning tires is good enough. Shut her down and go check everything again. Look for anything that came loose, looks loose, feels loose.

Get ' er off the stands and leave 2 black marks on your shop floor.

And I wanna a pic of a 🍺 sitting between them, πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚ 😹 πŸ˜† 🀣
As much as I want to see this thing running, I'm going to take a night off. Long day at work and I'm tired. I'll get her going tomorrow night when I can take my time and enjoy it.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
@joshw0000
These aren't my pics.
This is that $40 cast aluminum flywheel compared to a stock flywheel.

2 lbs. off the rotating assembly is a HUGE upgrade for these lil turd motors.
This will make an engine get to peak rpm, faster.
Get torque to the tires, faster.
Get weight to move faster, outta the hole.
Get to max mph in a shorter distance.
And not worry about the stock flywheel exploding, while kids are around.
Screenshot_20230413_194509_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230413_194523_Chrome.jpg

joshw0000

Reaction score
@joshw0000
These aren't my pics.

View attachment 137374View attachment 137375
I've been watching some videos and I probably will replace it at some point. It doesn't look as hard to as I originally thought. Right now I need to get 2 carts running dependably.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
@joshw0000
These aren't my pics.

View attachment 137374View attachment 137375
The Government is looking for it's scale

joshw0000

Reaction score
So, I've got a couple bolts in the bracket. The motor isn't secured yet but isn't moving. The chain isn't tight but isn't lose. The belt is so loose I can slip it off without removing anything....but it wants to pull. Even at idle.

Now, the cart is still up with no wheels, but the axle is spinning at idle. Normal, or you think I should adjust something?

Edit - the belt is no longer loose. It now fits snug.

Last edited:

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
So, I've got a couple bolts in the bracket. The motor isn't secured yet but isn't moving. The chain isn't tight but isn't lose. The belt is so loose I can slip it off without removing anything....but it wants to pull. Even at idle.

Now, the cart is still up with no wheels, but the axle is spinning at idle. Normal, or you think I should adjust something?

Edit - the belt is no longer loose. It now fits snug.
How'd the belt be loose then not loose??? Magic belt??? πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚ 😹 πŸ˜†

Vid????

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
The calm before the storm.

πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘, 🍺 🍻 🍺 🍻 🍺, πŸ‘, good job!!!!!!!!

Dont let the beer hit the floor!!!!!!!!

Don't worry about that lil turn of the axle bother you. That's a good sign actually, tells me everything is coming up to temp, and nothing is overly tight, bearings are in good shape. It's not gonna roll when on the ground.

Expect some chain stretch, and adjust again. After a good hot cycle of riding, let er cool over night and check all bolts, nuts, chains every thing, while its cold. 4 or 5 hot, cold cycles you will see some bolts, nuts not staying tight, you gonna have to get em locked down.

Good freaking job, bud!!!!!!!

joshw0000

Reaction score
πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘, 🍺 🍻 🍺 🍻 🍺, πŸ‘, good job!!!!!!!!

Dont let the beer hit the floor!!!!!!!!

Don't worry about that lil turn of the axle bother you. That's a good sign actually, tells me everything is coming up to temp, and nothing is overly tight, bearings are in good shape. It's not gonna roll when on the ground.

Expect some chain stretch, and adjust again. After a good hot cycle of riding, let er cool over night and check all bolts, nuts, chains every thing, while its cold. 4 or 5 hot, cold cycles you will see some bolts, nuts not staying tight, you gonna have to get em locked down.

Good freaking job, bud!!!!!!!
This was my 2nd attempt at a launch. The first time I didn't have the throttle cable tight enough so it wasn't getting enough go juice. I did loosen the chain slightly but it still feels a little snug and likes to creep at idle. It wasn't at initial install but it got tighter. I'll continue to tweak it a little bit and make a better video in daylight.

Huge thanks to BrownStainRacing! Also, thanks to BaconBitRacing, thepartsguy, and everyone else. This is a great community/forum. You guys have been super informative, patient, and most importantly, you took the time to understand my specific situation and gave me detailed information that helped me get this cart going. I almost sold this thing more than once. At this point, I feel like I could set my kids loose on it. I still need to hook up the kill switch (super easy) and re-do the lights (low priority). Not only that, I kinda know what I'm doing now and I'll continue to tweak this cart (and others). I think this'll be a new hobby for me.

I have another video, taken by a friend, that I won't post because it shows my face, and ya know.... internet. But that initial launch did get a little squirrelly. You can't see it, but I had to correct the front wheels because the back end kicked out on the initial launch. Disclaimer - the tires were wet because of the first failed launch.

It's dark and wet out so I'm definitely looking forward to putting some hours on it. Here we go-

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
AWESOME!!!!!!!!
it will take a GOOD 20 minutes of hard run time to get er up to temp, that's when things starts to shine, you will see, πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚.

I would pull that driver back off and make sure, 100% that the weights are installed right. 1 side is almost flat, while the other side is more angled. And they go in 1 way. If that don't stop the creeping, turn the idle down, it sounds a lil high anyway, but check those driver weights 1st. My mini idles 2000+ rpm, hot, and has 3000 springs and dont creep at all.

Really good job, now you have learned a bit, and will be eager to learn some more. πŸ‘

Jus think,.......that's not the perfect gearing for that kart. Imagine, how she would pull with a 6.4- 6.7:1 gear. And you just got a 5.125:1 now, πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚ 😹 πŸ˜† 🀣

joshw0000

Reaction score
AWESOME!!!!!!!!
it will take a GOOD 20 minutes of hard run time to get er up to temp, that's when things starts to shine, you will see, πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚.

I would pull that driver back off and make sure, 100% that the weights are installed right. 1 side is almost flat, while the other side is more angled. And they go in 1 way. If that don't stop the creeping, turn the idle down, it sounds a lil high anyway, but check those driver weights 1st. My mini idles 2000+ rpm, hot, and has 3000 springs and dont creep at all.

Really good job, now you have learned a bit, and will be eager to learn some more. πŸ‘

Jus think,.......that's not the perfect gearing for that kart. Imagine, how she would pull with a 6.4- 6.7:1 gear. And you just got a 5.125:1 now, πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚ 😹 πŸ˜† 🀣
I'll check it out, thanks.

I think something's not right with my throttle setup. If I give the wire a little slack it won't pull 100%. Maybe 60%. If I set it tight enough that I can give it 100% throttle, it's idling high from the cable being tight. I think I can add a spring to pull it back and it should idle low enough not to nudge like that.

I found an old picture with the old motor. It's a little different now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230415-015335.png
    Screenshot_20230415-015335.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 5

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
I'll check it out, thanks.

I think something's not right with my throttle setup. If I give the wire a little slack it won't pull 100%. Maybe 60%. If I set it tight enough that I can give it 100% throttle, it's idling high from the cable being tight. I think I can add a spring to pull it back and it should idle low enough not to nudge like that.

I found an old picture with the old motor. It's a little different now.
Send pic, looking down. You might have to trim some of the black outer cover back to expose more of the wire cable. This will giv you more movement for the pedal, without being too tight, high idle.