Need HELP with Kirby/Tecumseh engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

my_mini_bike

Reaction score
I was given a old Kirby/Tecumseh engine from a friend about a year ago. It has a reduction unit on it.. differnet to the ones u get today, but that besides the point..

It started and ran when i got it, just. but I havn't touched it since.
Last night i pulled it all apart and gave it a good clean. the carb was in shocking condition; the bowl had a layer of think black crap around it seriously about 3mm thick.
I took the head off and it also was in shocking condition.
I also took of the crank cover and there was a layer of thick black muck at the base of the engine :toetap05:
And i was cleaning it the timing gear fell out :furious2: :mad2: ,luckily it didnt fall onto the ground
So i put it back in, in any random position, put the engine all back together and it would not start. nothing at all.:worried2:
This is the first time that i've really pulled an egine apart and im not to sure.. is the timing just all messed up and if so how can this be fixed?
There is heaps of compression, spark, good gaskets and all the rest of it... but it just wont start

Thanks heaps for any replies

Attachments

• kirby 1.JPG
    kirby 1.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 12

jr dragster T

Reaction score
If the cam fell out and you cant put it back in ANY position you feel like. There is a dot on the crankshaft gear and a dot on the cam. Line up the dots then in stall the cam back in. So every rotation of the cam and crank the dots will always line up like these two periods . .

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Since your timing is off, it will spark, open and close valves at the wrong position.

Yohe you'll need to reposition the cam. There are 2 dots. One on the crankshaft, and one on the cam. You'll need to align it so that when you turn the engine over, the dots meet over and over again. But first, turn the engine over till the valves both close, then remove the cam (or it may be a pain to put it back)

my_mini_bike

Reaction score
THANKS heaps guys :D. ive never taken an engine apart before so i just wanted to be sure. I'll oill it up tomorrow and figners crossed, it should start.
:cheers2: :thumbsup:

oscaryu1

Reaction score
If it still does not start, try gassing up the carburetor, and if it still doesn't start ... look for a sheared flywheel key.

I like karts

Rotary Power!
Reaction score
Yeah, line up the cam and timing, and try to clean it as best you can. That looks like a nice engine btw :sifone:

my_mini_bike

Reaction score
LOL.
Nah.. it's all good. Started first pull and runs really well.

Cheers guys. :cheers2:

Status
Not open for further replies.