Need help snow mobile cat question

Old guy

Reaction score
Ok new to go carts with snowmobile engines on them I bought one that is where my trouble started it runs great starts great but did not feel like it had alot of top end started checking reading looking can't find a straight answer the drive clutch looks ok but the driven clutch does not open up on acceleration it looks worn out like the slide pieces are sitting flat on a ledge no plastic ramp part left and was noticing it turns the oppose direction of the engine like it's on the jack shaft backwards from the direction it would turn on sled can you run a driven snowmobile cvt either direction or is it a one way type set up but belt rises on drive clutch but driven just spins does not open I know it's messed up trying to figure out if just worn out or if it's a directional thing please help

karl

Reaction score
can you run a driven snowmobile cvt either direction or is it a one way type set up

One way, usually an OEM clutch is non reversible, the spring is wound one way, and the buttons only work that way.

It needs installed in the same direction as when it was on the sled.

Old guy

Reaction score
Karl thank you sir I have another driven clutch I found off another sled it's the same size can I run it

karl

Reaction score
Im not promising anything, but as long as the diameter is similar, spring tension in the clutch , and belt width all the same, it should get ya moving.

Old guy

Reaction score
It has to be better than it was it never changed at all before I finally got the old one off the jack shaft not fun I think I know why he installed it backwards he could not get it off the shaft to turn it around I did not care because one way or another it had to come off it was jammed so when I test drove it I told him it did not feel like it was as fast as it should be it's quick but where we were test drove it not enough room to open it up I bet it's going to be quick when I reassemble I hope

Old guy

Reaction score
All ways one more cylinder couple hundred more hp couple more pounds of boost another 50 shot of nos. Change the sprockets we can never leave it alone bigger cam bigger carb shave the head bigger piston I've watched videos 212cc predetors guys go nuts rods lightened fly wheel lightened cam swap stiffer valve springs flat slide carbs headers mini bikes doing 40 50 mph as bad as I was with cars in my younger days

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Rushking19 how do I post pics not good at electronics stuff

Old guy

Reaction score
Well hello all I put it back together I'm not sure what went wrong I put the used driven clutch I had on the go cart everything was going smooth let it idle for a few min looked to track straight raised rpm's about half way clutches were working like they were supposed to I revved it up a couple times wow the axel was flying I was like wow this is going to be real fast now so I pegged it after about 20 seconds of full rpm my excitement was brought to quick halt and quickly became oh crap when the drive belt started shooting parts off I let go of throttle and all he'll broke loose the belt stripped all Most all the inside cogs off and started spraying every where so I'm not sure if I need to clean clutches or if belt was no good or alignment issue or length going to order clutch removal tool and a new belt any advise would be great I'm shooting in the dark here

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Mr mcrib212 it's a 2 stroke 440 liquid cooled

Old guy

Reaction score
Karl I'm back I really hate to bother you again I need help advice as you can see above I had excitement and disappointment in one min

Ebrownie

Reaction score
Often times it is very very hard on torque converters or snowmobile clutches to run wide open throttle with no resistance. I assume you just had the rear end on blocks or stands? When you get your new belt and get it back together, try actually driving it. I’ve seen a driven clutch blow up because it was held WOT with the rear end jacked up.

Old guy

Reaction score
Yes I'm new to go carts well with snowmobile engines on them for sure and yes you are correct had it on stands no tires running it to see if the driven clutch was going to open and close it seemed to all be playing nice half throttle no noise was all working like it does on a sled then I went full throttle for a couple seconds and it was zooming then the belt exploded litterly it blew all the cogs off the belt stuff went flying I'll try that when I get a belt I'll try that I was worried about distance between clutches alignment angles I'm hopeing it just free wheel dumb me problem

Snaker

Reaction score
Trying to do some detective work from the pictures you supplied.
The engine is a 2cyl 2 stroke free air, probably from the mid 70's. Noticeable are the squared off fins. There are a few brands that did that, do you know the engine brand and cc's?

The driven is certainly not configured correctly. The moveable sheave should always rotate (spiral) against the direction of belt travel during up shifting. The two pulley moveable sheaves should be on opposite sides of the belt. Some folks set up these cart CVT's like that and have luck with it relying on the driven to float to compensate. I don't think you will get away with it on a engine with a bit more hp.

It looks like the brake disc is attached to the driven? That was typical of a left sided chaincase sled, probably also from the mid 70"s. Do you know if the engine and CVT are from the same sled?

I think your going to have to look into flipping that driven.

Old guy

Reaction score
It's a john deer 440 liquid cooled

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Sneaker no I know they are not for sure the engine is a john deer 440 liquid cooled. The driven is off a arctic cat with a 440 air cooled the artic cat was a left hand drive looking from the seat

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Darn spell check changed snaker to sneaker sorry the engine is a left hand drive clutch on the john deer the original driven clutch that was on the cart was on the other way and it tore up the Shiv on the driven clutch it was all Most in half and would not open because turning the wrong direction I need an help I can get

Old guy

Reaction score
Snaker I looked at both motors they both spin the same direction and the drive clutch moves to the right as it closes the driven clutch moves to the left when it opens up but I now rember the driven clutch was behind the drive clutch in the artic cat now it's in front of the drive clutch they still both turn the same direction but now I think I understand what you are saying but now more confused on what to do any help would be greatly appreciated

Old guy

Reaction score
Mr mcrib212 do you live any where near chgo illinois I have an air cooled 440 arctic cat

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Mr mcrib212 first I have to figure out my problem. That Mr snaker was telling me about