My Trike build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotmullion

Mechanical nut
Reaction score
Me and a mate started on a little trike build today. Got a Suffolk Punch (British cylinder mower engine) engine, a 52 tooth axle and a pair of 16x6.5" rears. Got a nice set of 20 inch chrome ape hangers in the workshop which would look awesome on it too. Live rear axle should be wild too :D

Attachments

• DSC02000.jpg
    DSC02000.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC02001.jpg
    DSC02001.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC02002.jpg
    DSC02002.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC02003.jpg
    DSC02003.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC02004.jpg
    DSC02004.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 27

tykenfitz

Reaction score
Can you put some pics/info on that motor?

Also, how did you connect that front bike fork just weld the existing tube to the frame?

Thanks!

bighead

Reaction score
You may want to move your frame up on the front fork tube. Then add a very large gusset from the fork tube to the frame.

You need some kind of gussets in there. You knew this right?

Great job looks like it will work.

Ps you should find one of the old shwing bike springer forks. Along with the ape hangers it would look kewl.

KieranM

Doin It!!
Reaction score
we have a suffolk punch motor, they were put on cylinder mowers from 1950 on and have a deadly clutch. They went quite for quite a while. All there mowers were called after horses, colt/punch. Qualcast took over them and now there with bosh, and they are remaking these mowers in electrical form and i have seen a few hondas put on. they have a very interesting drive setup.

http://s742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61/kieranm09/?action=view&current=PICT0160.jpg&newest=1

DestructionDan

Reaction score
I would change that front end for a mountain bike with some kind of shocks.
Local trash dumps scrap yards and road side trash are good places.
looks good.

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
A friend of mine said he had kart with one of those engines, he said it was the slowest thing in the world, their about 75cc aren't they? Another friend of mine has one as a mower, it goes great, never boggs out or anything :D. My local school has a few of them sitting around too. It should go well on a trike. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Hayden

Cotmullion

Mechanical nut
Reaction score
Added some gussets/triangulations to the back today and mounted the engine.

Attachments

• DSC02013.jpg
    DSC02013.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC02012.jpg
    DSC02012.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC02011.jpg
    DSC02011.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC02009.jpg
    DSC02009.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC02008.jpg
    DSC02008.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 18

solomon

Reaction score
the PTO on that motor is very stubby, i don't think it will work with a clutch

solomon

Reaction score
You always want the pto to be 2.5" long r more, than looks like maybe 1.75" at most

Cotmullion

Mechanical nut
Reaction score
Same length shaft on my minibike and that works fine with a clutch. More pictures:

Attachments

• DSC02026.jpg
    DSC02026.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC02027.jpg
    DSC02027.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC02028.jpg
    DSC02028.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 26

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
You always want the pto to be 2.5" long r more, than looks like maybe 1.75" at most

I guess i'm going to live with you calling it a PTO shaft but unless he plans to mount a clutch this will not be a problem, if he plans to treat the internal clutch as a gear reduction and simply add a sprocket them he will be fine.

Cotm- That shaft does not work just fine with a clutch. Understand that standard centrifugal clutches are pressed together, when you put force on the outer half of the clutch it will snap the clutch in half and send pieces flying. It will not last very long at all if you mean to place a standard clutch on there. Alternatively I need to point out that in order for a standard centrifugal clutch to engage typically you need to reach an excess of 2200 rpm, if you have a clutch in the engine or a gear reduction then this may not even be possible.

Cotmullion

Mechanical nut
Reaction score
I guess i'm going to live with you calling it a PTO shaft but unless he plans to mount a clutch this will not be a problem, if he plans to treat the internal clutch as a gear reduction and simply add a sprocket them he will be fine.

Cotm- That shaft does not work just fine with a clutch. Understand that standard centrifugal clutches are pressed together, when you put force on the outer half of the clutch it will snap the clutch in half and send pieces flying. It will not last very long at all if you mean to place a standard clutch on there. Alternatively I need to point out that in order for a standard centrifugal clutch to engage typically you need to reach an excess of 2200 rpm, if you have a clutch in the engine or a gear reduction then this may not even be possible.

As I say, for my minibike build I used a clutch on the same length engine shaft, but I drilled and tapped a hole on the end for a bolt to hold the clutch on, otherwise it would break up as you say. I initially didn't have a bolt, and simply relied on the grub screws to hold it on, but this is not a good idea, as the clutch broke to peices when on WOT. Not fun at all! As far as clutch engagement goes, these engines are perfectly capable of reaching the engagement RPM.

solomon

Reaction score
It would be much smarter to run a sprocket to a jack shaft with the clutch on the jack shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.