My lil' 5HP guide...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscaryu1

Reaction score

The circled red part. Don't shave it that the rings pop out, just enough.

EDIT - Wrong pic

AlphaRunner85

Reaction score
Sorry, im kinda new to the whole go kart thing... im more at home w/ a honda 4 cyl than a b&s 5hp and i can say that this thred was very helpful to a fool like me thanks oscaryu. :sifone:

jr dragster T

Reaction score
You shave between the bore and the valves. So then your exaust and fuel mixture flows MUCH more smoothly. But NEVER go near
the valve seats.

Magice

Reaction score
So in the pics above the two little triangles between the valves? Can I have a mspaint of the area where to shave possibly?

Magice

Reaction score
Oh I think I see. Is it the bottom triangle near the cylinder bore I take out?

Magice

Reaction score
I tried to grind it with the wrong equipment. All I have. Don't flame me for the ****ty job because that's how I usually do stuff.

You can see it in two places. I don't think I hit the actually seat. Possibly the VERY edge. All I had was a big klunky grinding disk.

How bad is it that I got that close?

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Well first off, you did it in the wrong place, i hope ya didnt wreck it too bad.

Do it like this, shave it down in the area highlighted red.

Magice

Reaction score
It'd kick *** if someone could tell me how bad the block is now messed up.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
WELL, it looks like ya wrecked your valve seats, other than that it looks not too bad...hard to tell from pics

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
I tried to grind it with the wrong equipment. All I have. Don't flame me for the ****ty job because that's how I usually do stuff.

You can see it in two places. I don't think I hit the actually seat. Possibly the VERY edge. All I had was a big klunky grinding disk.

How bad is it that I got that close?

NEVER attempt something with the wrong tools., you can probably get away with lapping the valves but IDK if the head gasket will hold with the deck damage.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Nope your block is most likely screwed over. As kenny stated...Head gaskets will NOT hold up now. The biggest thing about shaving eyebrows and porting and other stuff like that is to take your sweet old time.

Magice

Reaction score
Well that's just dandy. I might just get a clone. I have a few other motors but I really don't feel like taking the work to put them on. Custom mounts, etc.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Harbor Freight sells a rotary tool kit (dremel with all the little accessories you need) for $8.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
I forgot to mention it guys. Oscar did a VERY profesional job on his briggs engine that he posted a picture of above on this page. If I had a briggs and wanted some eyebrow work on I would definatly go to oscar!

GoAlterBridge

Reaction score
I just did a few of those mods to my 3.5 Briggs today.
I ground the eyebrows, and then ported the intake and exhaust. After that I replaced the head gasket with some gasket maker silicone stuff, and drilled four holes in the flywheel, to make it lighter. Both the drilling and removing the gasket mods I have already tested on another engine, and I have noticed some power increase. Also, the flywheel didn't explode after tons of extreme revving. Still waiting for the silicone to cure, but I'll try the briggs out tomorrow. Btw, I think this is a great thread. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.