• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

My Hiatus

Status
Not open for further replies.

machinist@large

Reaction score
On a side note, I found this little interesting bit outside the shop in the sub-basement of the engineering building... My hand is ~9 inches tip to tip.

:roflol::bannana: I'm sorry; I just have to say it..... You are in PITTSBURGH!!! Chain that size is not much for a steel mill. Probably came from the rolling mills.

Wish I could help you out with Team Finances, but I'm a little on the broke side myself.

redsox985

Reaction score
:roflol::bannana: I'm sorry; I just have to say it..... You are in PITTSBURGH!!! Chain that size is not much for a steel mill. Probably came from the rolling mills.

Wish I could help you out with Team Finances, but I'm a little on the broke side myself.

I'm assuming you haven't been to Pittsburgh recently (last 15-ish years). :p It's so far from a steel town any longer. Technology is booming with Google offices and educational institutions all over. Between Carnegie Mellon's National Robotics Engineering Center and the University of Pittsburgh coupled with it's medical center, Pittsburgh is far from its blue-collar, steel mill past. We're the 30th most livable city in the world and 2nd in the U.S., falling only to Honolulu.

In addition to the volume of medical innovation coming from the Univ. of Pitt., they also have a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Lab that is amongst the top in the world, with Cambridge and MIT. One of their goals is to reduce the overall production cost of RFID tags to a fraction of a penny so that it will become feasible for them to be implanted into the packaging of goods at a store, then the loaded cart can simply be pushed through a reader gateway and the entire contents totaled in seconds.

http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/life/worlds-most-livable-city-525619?hpt=hp_bn10

Just for giggles, here's a photo I put together a few weeks back.

Attachments

• 5-4.jpg
    5-4.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:

redsox985

Reaction score
So, today, I applied my DIYGK knowledge to the car to correct two senior team members. We're trying to mod last year's car to incorporate anti-ackerman, where the outside tire takes a tighter circle than the inside tire. While trying to figure out how to do this since the computer wasn't cooperating, they proposed simply moving the tie rod pick up points from behind the kingpins to in front. I stepped in say that doing so would invert the steering since the column came down in front of the steering rack. They gave me a puzzled look, then turned the wheel and looked at the push/pull... HA!

Anyways, as for anti-ackerman... I think they're trying to go with anti because, in testing, the we're pulling in excess of 1.5 lateral G's through corners. This puts little, if not 0, weight on the front inside tire. IIRC, one driver recalled seeing the tire off the ground. I assumed they're trying to put the outside tire on a tighter circle so that, in a high G turn, it will be on a tighter circle since nearly all of the front-end weight is concentrated on that tire.

To do this, we need to move the tie rod pick up points out so that the invisible kingpin-tie rod connection point line intersects BEHIND the rear axle and not on it, or in front as it does now (pro-ackerman). Currently, it intersects somewhere in the ballpark of 25% of the F-R wheel base length in front of the rear axle.

redsox985

Reaction score
I'll have some updates and photos tonight. We started jigging it this past week and tacking/welding portions together last night. We pulled an all nighter, leaving some time after sunrise this morning, but we made huge progress.

redsox985

Reaction score
Here are a few shots from the early stages of jigging and tacking. Some of these angles are baffling to me, especially in the rear. How they came up with the design is unknown to me.

We sent out an order for the tube to have it cut, bent, and fish-mouthed by machine so that they all fit nicely.

Attachments

• 2012-11-21 04.43.52.jpg
    2012-11-21 04.43.52.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 2012-11-21 04.44.03.jpg
    2012-11-21 04.44.03.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 2012-11-21 05.45.35.jpg
    2012-11-21 05.45.35.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 24

fowler

Reaction score
sooo is the electcal tape a proper method of joining up there at uni is it:lolgoku:
or maybe its just to hold it while u tack

that is one impreesive setup

its always a good feeling to correct a more senior member isnt it

redsox985

Reaction score
Nice! That is one FANCY jig you have there. It must have taken a while to make that. Sheesh

It surely did! Everything has specific angles and dimensions in the SolidWorks model, so we had to make the aluminum jigs accurate to the thousandth, .001! (Before, I hadn't really used more than an "Eh, good enough, I'll fill that with the welder" style of approach.)

sooo is the electcal tape a proper method of joining up there at uni is it:lolgoku:
or maybe its just to hold it while u tack

that is one impreesive setup

its always a good feeling to correct a more senior member isnt it

HEY!! :mad: That electrical tape held well! It was just to hold in tubes which weren't jigged. How they came up with the angles and whatnot in SolidWorks is beyond me.

If you're looking for some interesting reads, here's a site I was given by some team members. It's got lots of great info!

http://www.formulastudent.de/academy/pats-corner/articles/

newrider3

Reaction score
Looks loads better than our FSAE progress, Mines hasn't competed in 10 or 12 years so we've had to basically start over from scratch. We don't have a jig or the funds to outsource tube work, so we're working with a JD manual bender, a HF-style notcher in a drill press, and eye/patience/lots of tacks to get the whole thing together. The tolerances definitely aren't the greatest, but we're just hoping to have something to run and work off of in the future this spring. Pic is a month or so ago, I've been swamped so I haven't been to a meeting in a while, hopefully it looks a bit better now...

Attachments

• 2012-10-21_14-29-50_130.jpg
    2012-10-21_14-29-50_130.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 23

fowler

Reaction score
i recko thats a much better method

all by hand and eye

even if thats in the wrong direction to todays industry i still give it alot more credit
it seems redsox's car is made by a computer not by people

redsox985

Reaction score
It's definitely much more computerized, but so is a majority of industry. It was all modeled in SolidWorks where stress and load tests were run. For the first time this year, we did outsource the tube work to a company to have all of the tubes machine cut and bent. As for the jigging, we bought aluminum stock and cut and whatnot to the specs pulled from jigs modeled to fit the SolidWorks chassis.

I found a funny bit of info yesterday while working on the lathe too. I'll let these pictures explain it...

Attachments

• IMG_20121204_153701.jpg
    IMG_20121204_153701.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20121204_153653.jpg
    IMG_20121204_153653.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20121204_153643.jpg
    IMG_20121204_153643.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 25

machinist@large

Reaction score
It's definitely much more computerized, but so is a majority of industry. It was all modeled in SolidWorks where stress and load tests were run. For the first time this year, we did outsource the tube work to a company to have all of the tubes machine cut and bent. As for the jigging, we bought aluminum stock and cut and whatnot to the specs pulled from jigs modeled to fit the SolidWorks chassis.

I found a funny bit of info yesterday while working on the lathe too. I'll let these pictures explain it...

OHHH WOOWWW!!

So I'm not the only person in this world who owns a war baby!!

I don't have the actual tag, but I confirmed it thru the original South Bend company that the first machine tool I ever purchased was a war baby; where the tag was mounted, someone took a large grinder to it....

So what model Monarch do you have at your disposal??? If it's been a College machine since new, you are going to have a whole lot of people (more than just me:lolgoku:) looking to get their hands on it!!!

redsox985

Reaction score
Sorry I've been so, well, not here. From that blurry tag and some searching, it seems to be a 1942 (clearly) model 10" EE. As for the car, it's now off the table jigs and on to what we call "the spits" which is basically a chassis rotisserie. It makes it much easier to weld the underside of tubes as well as start mounting the tabs for the A-arms. We've made one of them so far and I'm amazed at how thin these things are. I'll try to get a photo.

On the other hand, we've begun testing some carbon fibre surface mounts for aerodynamic work. The aero isn't so much to create downforce, but to negate lift created. I think we only get about 20lbs of down force at moderate speeds.

Additionally, we got 4 new HJC RPHA 10 Helmets with extra shields for free. Monster also gave us a small sponsorship recently. I think it's about 1200 cans plus team and promotional shirts for the cost of putting their name to them. But we all really know that we want those Monster girls to visit...

Attachments

• monster-energy-girls-151566.jpg
    monster-energy-girls-151566.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:

redsox985

Reaction score
Another bit of info here... We'll be using either 420 or 428 chain this year to cut weight. That's ~85HP being put through it. Based off spec, this was found to be the lightest, strong enough chain. I had previously greatly underestimated how much it can take.

redsox985

Reaction score
The Pittsburgh International Autoshow was this weekend and they gave our team a booth to promote ourselves as well as spend some time at the show. Today we got to play with an enormous simulator which was originally set up for a Ford Focus ST, but some team members became friends with him over the past days and we got there early enough so that he could throw on some custom settings with more powerful cars. It was an awesome ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uny7e_Gwa3E

Also, I got to sit in an ERA replica GT-40 MKII... Awesome car! What surprised me was that, at 5' 8", I was about as tall as the car could handle. I was fully pocketed in the seat and had a small bend to my knees at the pedals. The BMW M6 was an absolutely gorgeous car with a breath-taking paint job.

Attachments

• 2013-02-17 10.09.18.jpg
    2013-02-17 10.09.18.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.