• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

My Hiatus

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsox985

Reaction score
Well, I'm sure it's crossed someone's mind here at some point in time, you're a rather observant group...I've been rather inactive. With college quickly approaching compounded with the onset of "senioritis", I've been rather busy doing scholarships and other stuff to prepare, like narrowing down potential colleges.

As it sits, I only considered colleges that offered FSAE Programs, and maybe FSAE + Baja SAE. With this pre-screening in place, I've been able to narrow it down from 10ish to 4 schools: University of Pittsburgh, Villanova University, Case Western Reserve University, and Virginia Tech. I've been accepted at all 4, so now it comes to $$$ and general fit at the school.

Now, where I'm going with this. In 6-8 months, I'll be back here regularly with updates about FSAE (maybe Baja?). These cars a strapped with CBR600 motors in a single seater frame. They're capable of 0-60 MPH in roughly 3 seconds thanks to the 6 speed gearbox linked directly to the rear slicks. With independent suspension all around, these are impressive vehicles, but aren't too much more than a shifter kart on steroids.

I can't wait to begin this program at whichever school I pick. I'll be sure to keep you guys in the loop and upload plenty of pictures and videos to tease you. 'Til then, I hope to stay semi-active at least, but with no shop space, money, or ample tools, the passion fades a bit knowing I can't join in the fun myself.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
FSAE is in like 80% of all colleges lol. It's nothing special... there are forums dedicated to just FSAE. The rules are the same and you're stuck with the same hardware year after year... I just don't see the fun in that.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Let me know if you end up at VA Tech. My second cousin goes there and Blacksburg isn't far from my future place of residence.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
FSAE is in like 80% of all colleges lol. It's nothing special... there are forums dedicated to just FSAE. The rules are the same and you're stuck with the same hardware year after year... I just don't see the fun in that.

You are kidding, right? There's gotta be a bazillion underprivileged kids out there that would gladly saw off a testicle for such an opportunity!

Last edited:

redsox985

Reaction score

It's really not "like 80%" of colleges. There's a full list of every college that competes here. Of those schools, not an overwhelming majority are known, respected engineering schools. When selecting colleges to apply to, I wanted them to be in the top 50 (US News & World Report Rankings) because I had pretty decent SAT/ACT scores and want a strong degree. Also, I wanted a school relatively close to me (within 6 or so hours) that was also affordable.

I mean, I live not 20 minutes from Carnegie Mellon University, but it is incredibly expensive and I just didn't like the feel of the campus.

As for the fun in it, when did designing, building from scratch, tuning, testing, and racing a 160+HP over-sized go kart become "not fun"? I mean, I've got two testicles...and really only need one. (TS inspired :roflol:)

Are you kidding me?! This is from Pitt, just 15 or so minutes away. Just taking the car out onto the city streets to test it!? Had I been walking by and seen this, I probably would've tried to talk my way into the driver's seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9P7f_ERl8Y

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Yeah, dang! That did look pretty boring. The one guy was so bored he was jumping up and down enthusiastically in an effort to stay awake!

If I had that opportunity years ago, I would be one testicle short today. I would have loved to have been that bored.

Redsox, good luck- I do hope you get to where you want to be.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
If the FSAE sponsors saw that, they'd gladly kick them off the team. FSAE is stupid strict on doing stupid things with their racers. I'm sure this comes down as one of them...

Hmm, well more like 80% of all schools in Texas. I just don't see the glory of doing something that's been done over so many times.

redsox985

Reaction score
Well, after countless hours in the car, who knows how many miles, multiple nights in hotels (Never stay in a MicroTel, they're not worth the savings... AT ALL!), and many hours touring schools, I've settled with the University of Pittsburgh. I didn't so much pick Pitt as I managed to rule out other schools for any various reason.

Villanova's co-op work experience program consisted of "yea, umm, so alum will give students summer internships", whereas Pitt has an entire co-op office that places students. Virginia Tech's FSAE program was an industrial process with people dedicated exclusively to things like "unsprung suspension tuning". That's not a team building a car IMO. Case Western Reserve in Cleveland just didn't fit me, although I can't put my finger on what caused this feeling. I hated how all Penn State pitched was the excitement behind their football program... Then two weeks later their sh*t hit the fan, so they were definitely ruled out.

So, now that all of this has been cleared up, placement tests have been taken, and I'll be scheduling in a few weeks, I finally have time to get back to the stuff I love. Summer has been great and I welcome the time to do nothing.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
I was wondering what had happened to you, but it seems as though my speculations were correct. My sister has been going through exactly the same mess this year, and after seeing her deal with it I can say I'm not necessarily looking forward to it... good to have ya' back though! I'm definitely looking forward to some formula SAE stuff, whatever collage I go to must have formula SAE or baja.

redsox985

Reaction score
That was one of my requirements haha! And even then, I had to learn about their program to know whether or not I would like it.

I was kind of wondering who was still around here from months ago...

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
I think most people are still around, maybe not posting as much, but at least reading other posts. I haven't seen Russ in months, I hope all is well with him.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
I think most people are still around, maybe not posting as much, but at least reading other posts. I haven't seen Russ in months, I hope all is well with him.

Didnt Russ have that dual lawnboy kart?

Nice to see you back redsox. Definantly let us know about that program building them cars or whatever you do. Sounds like fun!

redsox985

Reaction score
My sister has been going through exactly the same mess this year...

You have a sister, eh? :drool5:

Hahaha! Hopefully they/we (maybe me) keep up a build log online. I absolutely can't wait. 80 some HP CBR600 with first gear removed. It does 0-60 in roughly 3.2 seconds. THIS is what I want to do with life haha.

Orange Krate

Reaction score
If I were looking for a university again I think I'd try MS&T in Rolla, Mo. Great engineering programs, SAE baja, small town, pretty countryside. I wish I had known about them back in the day.

Incidently I learned about MS&T this video and then happened todrive through Rolla on vacation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOkI8jaKpsg

redsox985

Reaction score
So, I'm just going to keep digging up this thread until I finally settle in and have time for leisure things, like this. I'm moved into Pitt and talked to the Pitt Racing team today. They intend to start soon and I plan on being there as much as possible. Initially, the team, they said, is rather segmented into specific regions (suspension, drive live, etc.) due to the influx of new members, but by the end of the year, it's usually no more than 15 people. I have always wanted to know more about suspension in particular, so I may head that direction initially, plus those specifics are something I know we've never fully had here, so that's something I can give back for all the help I've received.

redsox985

Reaction score
As not to keep starting new threads, I think I'll just keep digging up this to document what all has been happening. I'm loving college and loving FSAE even more. We did some testing with Carnegie Mellon University (also in Pittsburgh, walking distance away) and got some crazy numbers from the computer in the car. IIRC, we pulled a max of 1.7G's in cornering and roughly 1G of acceleration. The tires must have been nice and warm and mated with a VERY grippy surface. We've registered for the 2013 competition at the Michigan International Speedway. We got car number 25 this year compared to almost not making the registration cut with #116 of 120 last year.

Aside from insane amounts of computer tests and simulations, little has happened in terms of the new car... Except for funding, or lack-there-of. IIRC, we're in the red about $30,000 (We need sponsors if anyone has connections :wink2: :cheers2: ) if we were to upgrade the computer and all of the associated components, including carbon fibre body panels. As far as I know, we ARE still going to make carbon A-Arms to cut some weight from the car.

On a side note, I found this little interesting bit outside the shop in the sub-basement of the engineering building... My hand is ~9 inches tip to tip.

Attachments

• 2012-10-15 14.01.13.jpg
    2012-10-15 14.01.13.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 26
Status
Not open for further replies.