My first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

souperman000

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the site because I recently got a go kart frame and wanted some advice.

I purchased a frame off of craigslist that incluses steering and a seat. It didn't come with a rear axle or anything else.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice about the drivetrain and maybe a list of all the parts I might need (I know the basics but there might be some I need that I am not aware of):wai:

I have an 8hp briggs and straton enginethat I am working on fixing up and plan to put it on the back of my frame.

If you guys could give me some advice and/or a list of parts that I might need that would be awesome.

Just FYI the way the mount on the frame is set up, It will most likely need a live axle set up. I try to post some pics for reference. Thanks so much!:thumbsup:

souperman000

Reaction score
Here are the pics:

This is the engine, I need to take off the shaft thats on it for it to fit the cllutch. do you think that is possible? http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=284&pictureid=1549

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Toss up some more pics and let's have a good look.

Meanwhile- Yes, that engine mount location is for a live axle setup. Second, you do not need to remove the engine's shaft- Just the pulley that is on the shaft. Yes, it's possible. Remove any set screws, give it a good and thorough soaking (days) in WD40, Fluid Film, Forte, or similar. Use a 3 or 4 jaw pulley/gear puller, and away you go.

souperman000

Reaction score
Thanks, what parts will i need for the driveshaft? i know I need a clutch, chain, and sprocket but Ive read things about flanges and sprocket hubs and different stuff like that, just an outline of the neccessary pieces would be awesome. (sorry NOOB)

souperman000

Reaction score

This is the left side axle bracket:

This is the right side axle bracket:
'

This is an engine I bought along with the frame, i dont plan to use the actual engine, just the clutch. any ideas on how to remove it?

here are the pics, hope they help clear some things up.:D

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Clutch removal- look it over closely, check for set screws and remove. Look again for a circlip, snap ring, or other method of holding outer drum to inner unit, and remove. Give shaft a serious soak with previously mentioned penetrant, and work very slowly and carefully.

For the live axle-

Your hangars require the 2-bolt self-aligning bearing housings. I'll look later for a pic. You need an axle shaft of an appropriate width. You need a brake assembly to fit the shaft, and a sprocket of an appropriate tooth count. If sprocket or brake disc you choose require seperate hub, then you'll need those, too- sized appropriately for the axle shaft. Lastly, you need wheel hubs to fit whatever wheels you choose, again sized to the shaft.

Check out this link- near the bottom of the page is the bearing housings I speak of- part #8212 http://www.gokartsupply.com/bearings.htm

You basically need everything in the kit below that except the frame weldments.

souperman000

Reaction score
for the soaking part, im a little confused. You should soak it after you remove it right? Soaking it while it is still attached seems like a difficult setup. same goes for the pulley on the engine.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
You're going to have to "soak" it in order to remove it. Pretty much guaranteed to be frozen to the shaft with rust. Please note that when I say "soak", I don't mean "put in bucket and cover in". I mean give it a very good hosing with the spray can, and repeat a couple times a day. It's also worth mentioning that the oil will get in there better if you set the engine on it's side so the shaft is pointing straight vertical- and keep filling the cavity (shaft end) with the penetrant. That way, gravity causes the oil to seep into the joint. Also- be sure to completely drain fuel and engine oil before parking it on its side.

souperman000

Reaction score
ok then after everything is apart, i put the clutch on, then put everything else on the axle and im good to go? (sped up version obviously). also the pull cord is slacked and hard to pull, we already took it apart, replaced it, rewound it, and tied up all the slack but when ever we try to start it, it is diffucult and becomes loose again.

bighead

Reaction score
The front end of your kart looks to be in good condition. Most of these are bent and smashed up. This will be a cool kart with some wire brushing and some paint.

I do not like the seat though.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
If the recoil rope keeps going slack, there's a chance that you did not prload the spring enough, or the spring is shot. Try rewinding with a few more turns, first. Also- keep a close eye on the hole the rope passes through on the metal shroud- maybe it's dragging? You say it's hard to pull...

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
You mean it tries to rip the handle out of your hand? That's not the spring- that's kickback. There is a VERY good chance your flywheel key is sheared, causing your ignition timing to be out.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Not really. Take the recoil assembly off, and then the fan shroud. Remove the flywheel nut (we can provide the tricks for this if you have trouble). If you can see the key, great. If not, remove the flywheel. The key is a little metal bar that indexes the 'wheel to the crankshaft in matching slots in each.

souperman000

Reaction score
also, when we finally got the engine working again, we let it run for 5-10 minutes. After we let it sit for 30 min to an hour, we tried to start it back up and it didn't want to, but it did turn over just never got the kick it need to run. we think its the carb but I just wanted your guys opinion on this before I take it in somewhere and spend a bunch of money. Thanks for all your help so far I really appreciate it.

EDIT - this was a few months ago, its just been sitting there ever since as we have not had time to tinker with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.