My First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

gocartkid

Bad Attitude
Messages
329
Reaction score
1
Location
CT
So, here it is! Backstory: My dad bought this about 8 years ago and I never really had any interest in it and never touched it....until I started playing with my tractor. After a while, that got too slow for me, so I decided to build this. I'm stripping it down to the frame and I'm going to primer/paint it with single stage auto paint....should be pretty long-lasting. It has a 72 tooth sprocket on it now that will make way for a 60, and the engine will be a souped-up Briggs 5hp. Specs on engine: 5hp block, new rings/gaskets, polished/ported/shaved head, 3hp flywheel with new coil bracket, a header, and a few more go-fast goodies. I'll keep you updated with pics! Not bad for a 13 yr old, huh?



















 

gocartkid

Bad Attitude
Messages
329
Reaction score
1
Location
CT
Oh, and I guess I have my first question: I have 3 of the wheels below and I want the 4th one so all wheels can match...can anyone tell me maker or even where I could find one? The size is 4.10/3.50/5 Thanks!

 

ironman

I'm Back!
Messages
906
Reaction score
2
Location
kentucky
ahh now thats what i like to see good old kart to rebuild.i think i saw a couple of those wheels on ebay monday just type in go kart parts and should show about 800 items good luck.
 

oscaryu1

New member
Messages
2,767
Reaction score
7
wow whats the manufacture date on that motor? looks old but sticker says the opposite, is it missing some sheet metal?

Lookin good otherwise

Man B&Ses still have the sticker on their shroud. You can also buy re-manufacturered sticks for them too.
 

ironman

I'm Back!
Messages
906
Reaction score
2
Location
kentucky
whats up with the blue cart i see in the background of one of your pictures are you seliing or building that one.
 

gocartkid

Bad Attitude
Messages
329
Reaction score
1
Location
CT
Well to answer everyone's questions: The engine is a mash of about 3 different Briggs 5hp's.....one old one ('76 per the numbers), one newer one (I'm not sure, though it takes a newer pullcord assy), and a few parts from an unidentified engine. All of the engines needed parts, so I'm just combining the best from each (best block, head, updated electronic ignition, etc). As for the blue kart....I bought it for the wheels that came with it...it needs a rear but I don't have the fab skills to take the live axle from the green kart and stick it on (new hangers need to be fabbed). It could be for sale, anyone local interested? Hey ironman, could you link me a few of the wheels, I went through the list (boy was that fun), but I didn't find any?
 

ironman

I'm Back!
Messages
906
Reaction score
2
Location
kentucky
sure ill find some what woould you take for that kart and ship it would pay for all never have to many toys....lou. ky 40213
 

gocartkid

Bad Attitude
Messages
329
Reaction score
1
Location
CT
sure ill find some what woould you take for that kart and ship it would pay for all never have to many toys....lou. ky 40213

I'd take $60 for it (it is minus rear axle), though I'm not sure how I would ship it or even if it would be worth shipping. Let me know.
 

gocartkid

Bad Attitude
Messages
329
Reaction score
1
Location
CT
So here's a small update for ya: I traded a junk tractor body a while back to a guy and got the 5hp Briggs I'm building and a CRUDE front axle assy with good tires (I wouldn't have ridden a kart with this axle AT ALL). Long story short I got my dad to take it and my live axle from my kart to the shop and get the lugnuts off. He comes back and he got the nuts off both but the wheels are stuck on the live axle and I need to WD40 one more bolt on the front axle to get the wheels off....fine. I can't get the bolt off so I start on the live axle, using some WD on the wheels and beating them off with a plastic hammer (can't do too much harm, right?). WRONG! I try the first one and it doesn't budge so I move on to the other one....I hit it a few times and something slams me in the face. What the :censored: was that???? THE ALUMINUM WHEEL BROKE AND EXPLODED IN MY FACE! So in the end I got the wheels off both axles but broke both aluminum ones. Not such a good day :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

The axle:


Busted wheel 1:


Busted wheel 2:



So what do you think? Do you think this axle requires hubs? It does have keyways so.......
 

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
3,018
Reaction score
75
Location
Texas
looks like a standard 1" step down style live axle. you'll need live axle hubs.
 

gocartkid

Bad Attitude
Messages
329
Reaction score
1
Location
CT
looks like a standard 1" step down style live axle. you'll need live axle hubs.

Well that explains the wheels being stuck....what is the downside of running it as-is? I'm on a REALLY tight budget right now, and it seemed to work great before with the keyway solidly connecting the axle and wheel. :confused:
 

gocartkid

Bad Attitude
Messages
329
Reaction score
1
Location
CT
Well that explains the wheels being stuck....what is the downside of running it as-is? I'm on a REALLY tight budget right now, and it seemed to work great before with the keyway solidly connecting the axle and wheel. :confused:

I just read that my current setup will work...so I'm keeping it. Does anyone know where I can get another set of wheels with keyways???? I can't find any. :censored:
 

gocartkid

Bad Attitude
Messages
329
Reaction score
1
Location
CT
270226045318 ----here you go 2 hours left on ebay----

Well I guess I missed that.....looks like a decent deal too. Thanks anyway though. I'm going to a swapmeet tommorow and I'll be on the lookouut for kart parts (especialy a set of wheels that don't shatter!).
 

rockstomper

New member
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
Regarding the post from ironman,I did get these rims my self great set of rims worked out for me.I have a direct phone number,not sure if it's with in the rules??? If so I can post it.I got a set of rims,a set of 1 inch bearings and hangers for 35.00 shipped.
He told me he has around 100 sets.I have been calling this guy and he sends me a paypal invoice, bam, paid, shipped no problems he got my vote and cheep!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I wanted to add , this guy has a go kart business located in teaxs. He also has these with out the hub welded the last time I talked to him.


Mike
 

Attachments

  • rims.JPG
    rims.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top