Status
Not open for further replies.

Magice

Reaction score
cliffs:
5hp briggs not seeming right when running
adjust mixture to no avial
kart wouln't start.. got it going eventually
kart stalls and won't start since. hot spark.

So I finally had my kart with my 5hp briggs going today... I took it to a cement dusty lot and drifted around lots. Tons of fun. I then noticed the engine sounded a little weird and it wasn't getting full power. Anyways, I ran out of gas and someone helped me up who was out there quadding and filled it up. I couldn't get it to start... It would run for a few seconds then die. If I attempted to give it gas it would die. So I finally got it going enough to get my foot on the gas and took off home.

Now I went out for another blaze a few hours ago. It started for about 5 seconds then died. Would just die on gas. During the whole time I have tried every possible setting with the mixture. I finally got it to run at one setting and drove (thought it was very hesitatey). I then stalled re adjusted it, and had it running great; full power. Once I got home I attempted to start it once it stalled. Wouldn't start, wouldn't even fire. The sparkplug is giving a hot spark. I have since tried everything to start it. Gas in sparkplug keeps it going for a few seconds, sometimes it doesn't get it going at all.

I had it running great til I took it out.

Magice

Reaction score
The guy said it was brand new gas.. he just filled up his kids quads.

What could have happened with my timing?
I forgot to mention it was backfiring lots.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Ohh yeah It's your ignition timing. You probably sheard off your flywheel key. Remove engine shroud/blower housing. Remove the nut and starter cup. Use a 3 jaw flywheel puller and pull off the flywheel. You should see a key locking the tapered shaft onto the flywheel. If its broken replace it, and thats it.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
if yours is a bowl carb it doesnt apply to you. if it isnt then you should probably know what hes talking about

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Bolw Carb:

diaphragm carb:

If yours looks like the one on top, it doesn't apply to you.

If it's something like the one on the bottom, that's what jerry is talking about.

Magice

Reaction score
I know the kinds of carbs I just wasn't sure which part I'm looking for.

I'll pick up a new sparkplug whenever I'm in town next.. It looks good but I guess ya never know.

I like karts

Rotary Power!
Reaction score
This is going to sound ridiculous, but check to see if theres enough gas in the tank to get to the tube. I could only partially see down into my tank one day and spent like 5 hours tinkering with the carb trying to get it to run, as it would only run for about 3 seconds. I then took another look in the gas tank, and found theat there WAS infact gas in there, but the previous owner of the kart had shortened the dipper for some reason. I put more gas in it, and then it started on first pull and ran perfectly

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Magice - That gas you received, something's telling me it was probably a 2 stroke mixture. Was it?

Magice

Reaction score
The gas was brand new from the pump. Not two stroke. The place I was driving was VERY dusty and my air filter is VERY ghetto. I think I'm going to have a look at the carb.

Status
Not open for further replies.