My dilemma!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrmints1415

New member
Messages
570
Reaction score
4
Location
Naperville Illinois
Here's the problem, I have a lot of engines but have no metal to use. I have been ordering online and I'm tired of paying for shipping. I have been looking for months to find a steel yard near me and I can't seem to find one!! I live in Naperville IL (close to Chicago) and I thank you in advance for doing this! Maybe I can actually start building stuff! Haha

Thanks,
Ryan
 

Bluethunder3320

New member
Messages
5,677
Reaction score
38
Phone book? Google maps?

Shipping is always a killer, especially when it costs $10 to ship something worth $5.
 

jeremybentham

New member
Messages
347
Reaction score
0
Location
Dutch Country
Try Googleing junk yard, salvage, recycling, scrap metal, etc.

Victory Auto Wreckers in Bensonville
American scrap Metal in Addison
Aurora Auto Parts
City Auto Wreckers is Aurora
T&T Scrap metals in Naperville
Heritage Disposal in Naperville

There are FOUR boneyards at the intersection of Rte.83/Archer/95th street. That's in or right next to Lemont.

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Messages
1,501
Reaction score
2
Location
Perth, Western Australia
I use metal from exercise equipment and bed frames. Usually exercise equipment has cool stuff like bushings, bearings, pulleys, cable, bent piping ect. You should be able to find plenty of them for nothing or very cheap.

Thanks

Hayden
 

jeremybentham

New member
Messages
347
Reaction score
0
Location
Dutch Country
Do you only want brand spanking new stock? Cause scavenging used stuff would be considerably cheaper.

And the link you posted is only 5/64" thick. A bit weak if you ask me.
 

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Messages
3,856
Reaction score
16
Location
Lynchburg, VA
14ga is 0.0747. Does sound a little thin, but not too bad. 1/16=0.0625, so its at least thicker than that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top