My dilemma!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Messages
3,793
Reaction score
8
Location
Massachusetts, USA
he is using the scorpion go kart plans by spider karts, which calls for 14ga, 1" sq tubing. i remembered a few things to look out for other than the steering.
1. i wouldn't suggest getting the spec seat, i bought it but feel like i got robbed because of what it cost me.
2. make sure you can weld 1/4" steel, or have someone that can.
3. try to make your own shock mounts, bearing mounts, etc, save some money.
4. use big Heims for the rear swing arm pivots, not the spindle brackets in the plans.
5. save as much money on parts as possible!
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
I'm not very familiar with the scorpion plans, but I have to agree with #4. I have seen the brackets they suggest, and I would not recommend them. Either Heim/Rose joints, or fabricate something using bushings or bearings. Strength may not be an issue, but durability will. The bolts will hog out the bracket holes leading to slop, and ultimately failure. Or, the bracket holes will wear down the bolts, causing failure. Either way...
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
I think 4 pillow blocks would make some simple, strong, bolt on swing arm mounts.
 

r97

Measure twice cut once
Messages
3,793
Reaction score
8
Location
Massachusetts, USA
i would go with the Heims for simplicity, but i suppose bearings could work. i remember someone here mentioning bearings don't like the alternating motion suspension has.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top