My 2 vintage race Kart chassis elect. conversion winter projects.

KMEFA

Reaction score
We got our 13s - 4p, '14ah' packs today.
Each pack weighs just a hair under 4.4 lbs.
Will run 2 in parallel, in each Kart.
Each 48v. pack has 52 - 18650, 3500ma cells.
Total capacity is 28ah per Kart.
Should be able to get about an hr. runtime per Kart.
100_6564.JPG

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
What are those packs rated for as far as continuous operation? The ones I looked up seem to be 13A, which would net you 26A with two packs in parallel. Isn't your motor is rated for over 40A continuous? You might want to parallel another pack or two. Your buddy could get a couple rides on your kart while he waits for his packs to arrive. ;)

KMEFA

Reaction score
Continuous current on ea. pack is 15a.
Max instantaneous current on ea. pack is 40a.

Motor is rated @ 32a.

They are not going to be lightning fast like yours,, just Subdivision street cruisers.
This set up will be plenty good for our initial needs,, & the price is right.
We can always upgrade down the road. ;)

Remember also,, it's ''way lighter'' than it looks,, & AUW on these Karts is only going to be around 100lbs.
My frame only weighs just over 26 lbs.
The seat weighs around 2 lbs.
Rear axel only weighs 2.5 lbs.
These tires also don't weigh any more than the racing slicks,, being 2 ply ect., & the rims don't weigh Jack squat.

Here is pics where the packs will live.
100_6566.JPG100_6569.JPG

Last edited:

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
This set up will be plenty good for our initial needs,, & the price is right.
We can always upgrade down the road. ;)

I understand. There are two packages on the way with stuff for my kart and I "finished" it last summer. Just make sure your battery mount is easily expandable for the extra batteries!

KMEFA

Reaction score
I understand. There are two packages on the way with stuff for my kart and I "finished" it last summer. Just make sure your battery mount is easily expandable for the extra batteries!
Cool.

Am cutting 4 slots in the pan, 2 on ea. side of the packs,, for loop Velcro batt. straps to go thru.
I can stack another 18650 pack easily on top of the other 2,, or go with a pack or 2 with bigger cells down the road ….

Here's a pic of the batt. cover I modified up from a food container.
Will put Velcro inside the top to attach to the hook n loop batt straps.
It will be real slick & easy to install & remove.
There is also an opening in the front & rear of the cover for air flow.;)
I
100_6571.JPG

Last edited:

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
It will be real slick & easy to install & remove.
I would definitely remove those from the kart when charging. Unless the battery is a LiFePO4 or other chemistry meant to stay on a vehicle, there is a non-negligible risk of fire breaking out; especially when charging. Batteries burning themselves up aren't a huge loss, but you don't want that kart going up in flames after the work you've done. If you charge those in a big ceramic pot or something, you should be good to go.

KMEFA

Reaction score
That's a given.

I have already built 2 electric Mini bikes with pretty much this set up,, plus have been along the progression of electric R/C since the mid 70's.;)

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
That's a given.

I have already built 2 electric Mini bikes with pretty much this set up,, plus have been along the progression of electric R/C since the mid 70's.;)

That's nothing. I built an electric jeep and a kart for my kids before this one and broke both along the way by driving them around and I used to shock myself and the other Marines with a crank field phone in the 90s on break from electronics instruction. I heard they dropped my MOS since then and they just use civilians.

KMEFA

Reaction score
Well,, I bet you had some shocking conversations.
Being electrocuted is no fun.
Had an MSD on a race car zap me once, that was the worst,, & dropped me to my knees ect.
A/C got me pretty bad a couple of times also..
One time it went in the side of my hand & out my wrist.
Am lucky to still be alive.

When I was an automotive tech before retiring a few years back,, I remember doing training on the Prius,, & having to wear special really thick rubber gloves when working on the power connections & batt. power module ect.

Last edited:

KMEFA

Reaction score
While I' am waiting for the motors & controllers ect,, I installed the flag mount tubes.
The American flag is my 911 flag, & have had it since then.
100_6574.JPG

KMEFA

Reaction score
I see you modified my pic. Pretty good job! :cool:

Will see how it does first with 2 packs & go from there...
If I do add down the road,, will probably just add 1 more on the center top,, & have a narrow container cover for that.
It would be to wide on top with 2 packs,, as the sides would rub against my legs, & jack up foot positioning on the pedals.
Think 1 more center top would be plenty,, with a cap. of 42ah & 45a potential continuous,, ''if these packs actually are what they advertise at'' …..

I'll probably end up doing that.. What's another ''only'' 4.4lbs,, plus around another added 20+min. run time,,, & more power longer. ;)

Last edited:

KMEFA

Reaction score
Alright EpsilonZero,, you kind of talked me into it. :rolleyes:;)

Just got off the phone with my Buddy that I' am building the other Kart for,, & he is all up for adding an additional pack.

Thinking more of it,, running 3 packs,,, they also won't be potentially working as hard,, & theoretically should last longer because of it.

Will probably order them this week.

Also,, I won't have to make up additional connector harnesses down the road,, & just make them up all at once.

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
I knew it! You'll be much happier with more energy available and your motor will perform better with less voltage sag. (y)

KMEFA

Reaction score
I knew it! You'll be much happier with more energy available and your motor will perform better with less voltage sag. (y)
Thanks. :)(y)

You are right, & It's really a no brainer,, plus we have some tax refund money yet on it's way ….
It will be well worth the extra $124 investment ea.

Also,, had a member on another site that suggested adding a 3rd pack,, right after you initially posted adding more.

Last edited:

KMEFA

Reaction score
What are those packs rated for as far as continuous operation? The ones I looked up seem to be 13A, which would net you 26A with two packs in parallel. Isn't your motor is rated for over 40A continuous? You might want to parallel another pack or two. Your buddy could get a couple rides on your kart while he waits for his packs to arrive. ;)
Got the motor & stuff the other day,, plus more work done.
Had to reconfigure & slide back the seat around 2 inches,, after finally being able to put it on the ground & ''finally'' sit in it.
The family jewels were right up against the bottom of the steer wheel. o_O lol

The 1109 motor is actually rated @ 38a continuous.
Motor definitely has some heft to it, compared to the MY-1020.
Should do ok with the 3 packs.

Am not going to post anymore pics until it's all finished now.

I

Last edited:

KMEFA

Reaction score
Here's some pics with my Buddies 48v Mini that I also built.
It runs real good & pulls hills no problem. ''Plenty of power''.
Ran it around for about 40 min. & still had close to 50v in ea. pack.
Motor, ESC & packs,,, just barely got warm.
100_6606.JPG
100_6609.JPG
100_6608.JPG