Murray Explorer TAV cover options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question for anyone with a Murray Explorer. Will a replacement TAV 30 cover from GPS fit on my TAV plate that bolts to the side cover? If so that would be awesome! I'd really like to cover the pulleys up after I put the correct belt on to keep sticks and stuff away from them

BigWes

Reaction score
I have an explorer, someone correct me if I'm wrong...but...if a normal TAV 30 cover is setup for a six inch driven and the explorer is using a seven inch driven and a longer belt will the cover still fit? Not trying to be arguing but on mine it has a jackshaft and I'm thinking the spacing is too far apart for a normal TAV cover to fit. Just trying to save you a few bucks...get out your tape measure first...

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Reaction score
I have an explorer, someone correct me if I'm wrong...but...if a normal TAV 30 cover is setup for a six inch driven and the explorer is using a seven inch driven and a longer belt will the cover still fit? Not trying to be arguing but on mine it has a jackshaft and I'm thinking the spacing is too far apart for a normal TAV cover to fit. Just trying to save you a few bucks...get out your tape measure first...

If the bolt holes line up I could probably trim the cover to fit over the rear pulley with plenty of clearance. I forgot that the Explorers have a 7" driven pulley. I've already verified that its 7" in diameter. I'll do some more measuring tonite and tomorrow

BigWes

Reaction score
Yep, and mine doesn't have the brackets any more either so I can't really help you out by trying one out for you. But you could always fashion your own cover if you can't find one to fit. Make it from sheet metal then paint it. Shouldn't be too hard. I might could draw you a pic of something later if you want.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Or make it from lexan...see through...

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Reaction score
I dont mean to get off topic from the title of the thread but where can i find a set of Murray Explorer rear fenders? Im tired of getting grass/dirt on me from the tires during every ride. I cant find any parts for sale and i dont want to buy another kart just for the fenders and front skid plate

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
If you really want mud guards, you could go to the local kitchen store or what not and get some flexible cutting boards. Cut off the handles, cut/fuse to shape, throw some paint on 'em, mount 'em up, and voila! Budget mud guards!
P.S - I just came up with that idea now, so if it's not a great idea, don't hate. :(:lolgoku:

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Reaction score
If you really want mud guards, you could go to the local kitchen store or what not and get some flexible cutting boards. Cut off the handles, cut/fuse to shape, throw some paint on 'em, mount 'em up, and voila! Budget mud guards!
P.S - I just came up with that idea now, so if it's not a great idea, don't hate. :(:lolgoku:

Thats a pretty good idea for just coming up with it lol. I'll look into that

Smerft85

Reaction score
Don't you think that would be more expensive then 1$ placemats?

Considering it's something sometimes on hand, I have a rear fender set from a scrap mower I got free for example, no, not really more expensive considering they are steel and less likely to break and need repeat replacement, thus making them more cost effective in the end, if there were a set to be had of course. Steel is given away constantly in my area because scrap steel isn't worth the fuel to haul it.

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
Plastic 1 gallon or smaller plant pots would work, get 1 free and cut it in half...walla...2 fenders.

We actually took a 3ft platic pot cut it in half for my best friends beater truck...yes...there possibly were adult beverages present BUT non were harmed :thumbsup:

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Reaction score
I found myself another Explorer that needs some TLC but it still has the cage, skid plate and fenders! The main issues are that it has the wrong belt, the hemi 212 is pretty clattery, it doesnt have any brake pucks, bald rear tires(from heavy street driving) and I think the axle bearings are squalling. I'll be making some templates soon so I can make some fenders out of some rubbers mats and a metal skid plate for the Murray that needs them

Attachments

• 20191111_190805.jpg
    20191111_190805.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20191111_190819.jpg
    20191111_190819.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 8

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Reaction score
I found out that my new Murray has a worn out jackshaft bearing. The bearing has a 3/4" I.D. and 1-1/2" OD with a snap ring. I cant find this specific bearing any anywhere and i need it so the jackshaft will quit squealing at me

Status
Not open for further replies.