Mule build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hybridyne

Reaction score
Very cool go kart site I have been enjoying this forum for some time now.
I have been building and racing go karts for many years.
Kind of gotten out of it to pursue my other passion building ROCKETS. Now that I literally burned up all of my money I am pursuing my less expensive passion, Building Go Karts.
I have always wanted to build a utility vehicle with suspension to get around our test site in Mojave. I saw this really kewl thread about a army mule build and thought it was the perfect build for me. I only have a 30' Toyhauler so everything that goes in there must be compact.
Here is the first picture of the rough frame layout. I am using the differential axel along with the Azusa coil over shocks. The frame is 1"x 2"x 1/8" and measures 36" wide by 66" long. The shocks are all 12" Long.

Attachments

• mule_05.jpg
    mule_05.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 100

Hybridyne

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the 125cc Suzuki shifter kart I built around 15 years ago. It had a custom down pipe that went under the side pod and the radiator was custom made to lay down in the other cowl.
The front brakes where MCP Prototypes that are made now.
A friend of mine took this Kart to 135MPH at Button Willow Racetrack and he was still getting past by faster laydown enduro's.

Attachments

• race_01.jpg
    race_01.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 62

Hybridyne

Reaction score
My other passion is rocket and rocket motors. The motors I build are a combination of rubber for a solid fuel and Nitrous Oxide for the Oxidizer. The N2o is injected down a cylindrical fuel grain via a injector and some kind of on/off ball valve.
Because of the spare rocket motors I have it is more than likely one will end up on some kind of Kart someday.
Here are some pictures of my friend Captain Jack McClure 200+ MPH Hydrogen Peroxide Rocket kart. Jack just made modification to increase his speed to 250+ MPH.

Attachments

• rocketkart_01.jpg
    rocketkart_01.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 38
  • rocketkart_02.jpg
    rocketkart_02.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 43

OzFab

Reaction score
Congrats, you managed to start a new thread but, it's in the wrong spot :lolgoku:

I'll move this thread to the intro section (as it seems to fit the criteria), then I'll ask you to start yet another thread in the build section (as firemanjim suggested)

Sorry for the run-around & welcome to the forum

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
uhm...
that setup doesn't seem to withstand any lateral force without collapsing.
what are those I-arms made of ?
(since I believe you know what you're doing.. I must be missing something ;))

otherwise it's looking nice :D

'sid

Hybridyne

Reaction score
Rear suspension and Differential axle set up

Attachments

• mule_09.jpg
    mule_09.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 70

Hybridyne

Reaction score
Here is the ultimate BUILD !!!

In my opinion this is the ultimate build. In July of this year my team and several other groups launched a rocket into space. Our friend Nick was there with his rocket belt. It burns pressurized Hydrogen Peroxide and has a flight time of 26 seconds. Nick built the rocket pack himself and the price was well over 50K
We did eventually recover the rocket with full video of our earth and moon in the background along with a strange UFO that buzzes by the camera.
I can post the space video if anyone is interested, I know it's a lil off topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhoojj4rSzI

Hybridyne

Reaction score
uhm...
that setup doesn't seem to withstand any lateral force without collapsing.
what are those I-arms made of ?
(since I believe you know what you're doing.. I must be missing something ;))

otherwise it's looking nice :D

'sid

Does this picture help?

Attachments

• mule_10.jpg
    mule_10.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 108

fowler

Reaction score
This looks cool
Have u seen the other mule build on this site

Might want some crush tubes on the panhard rod and the leading arms
As well as a bit of triangulation on the front axle

Hybridyne

Reaction score
This looks cool
Have u seen the other mule build on this site
Yes that is what inspired me to build this one. I am doing some things different like the steering. I am using gears and chain to get some ratio to the steering.

Might want some crush tubes on the panhard rod and the leading arms
As well as a bit of triangulation on the front axle
It is in fabrication mode. I will add triangulation after all the parts are mocked up and tack welded in place.

Hybridyne

Reaction score
Here is the motor I am using. It is 125cc, Electric start, Automatic transmission with reverse.
This is the wiring diagram I used to get it running, Only problem is I miss wired the kill switch and cant shut off the motor with the ignition switch.
Has anyone ever used this motor? I a trying to figure out if it has a charging system. The distributor I got the motor from is about as helpful as Chinese instructions.

Attachments

• mule_11.jpg
    mule_11.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 35
  • mule_13.jpg
    mule_13.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 35

OzFab

Reaction score
Here is the motor I am using. It is 125cc, Electric start, Automatic transmission with reverse.
This is the wiring diagram I used to get it running, Only problem is I miss wired the kill switch and cant shut off the motor with the ignition switch.
Has anyone ever used this motor? I a trying to figure out if it has a charging system. The distributor I got the motor from is about as helpful as Chinese instructions.

Rule of thumb is if it has electric start, it has a charging system, with very few exceptions...

You may want to talk to firemanjim, I think he's using that exact engine on his current build...

So, you have all the electrical components then? CDI, rectifier, solenoid, switches, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.