Mikuni 34 mm questions

Big Bob

Reaction score
Hey guys, I got a 440 Duromax engine. Billet flywheel, Billet side cover, Billet connecting rod. 275 Dyno cam, 55 lb valve springs. NR Racing Honda 390 Head with 40 mm intake, 38 mm exhaust stainless valves, head shave .060, (this NR Racing head has the small intake port for low end power. The port was matched to my intake manifold) 1.2 ratio roller rocker arms, chrome moly cut to length push rods. + or - 34 BTC ignition timing. Mikuni 34 MM round slide carb with a 15 low jet 210 main jet. Float set at 22 mm. Auto lite plug. Engine fires right up. Runs strong. You hit the throttle and no faultering, it just takes off. But after a bit of running it mis-fires once in a while at cruise RPM. The plug gets black right away. So I say it's running too rich.

Any tuning advice? Should I go even smaller on jetting? It is a gravity fed fuel tank. The bleed screw or whatever it's called is 1 turn out from being seated. I can't read the number on the emulsion tube but it starts with a 159. The needle in the slide is set in the center slot.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
To check the plug, did you do full throttle plug chops? Sometimes too much idling can make a plug looked fouled.

How to read spark plugs
Thanks to Boonman

What is a ”plug chop”?
A plug chop is one way to verify your main jet jetting. To do a plug chop, make sure the air filter is clean, warm up the motor, shut it off and install new spark plugs. Start the motor and pin the throttle, running through all gears. When you wind out the top of top gear, hit the kill switch and pull in the clutch. Keep the throttle pinned!

The bleed screw is a low speed air screw? Or low speed fuel screw? I think it’s an air screw by quickly looking up your carb.

How did you come to use the #15? Did you do some no load testing checking for throttle response, hesitations, rpm’s, and return to idle speed after releasing the throttle….

it’s been a minute, so I forgot the exact process.
I think I found this video helpful for tuning the idle circuit. IIRC, his awkwardness is great but the info was greater.

Last edited:

Big Bob

Reaction score
To check the plug, did you do full throttle plug chops? Sometimes too much idling can make a plug looked fouled.

How to read spark plugs
Thanks to Boonman

What is a ”plug chop”?
A plug chop is one way to verify your main jet jetting. To do a plug chop, make sure the air filter is clean, warm up the motor, shut it off and install new spark plugs. Start the motor and pin the throttle, running through all gears. When you wind out the top of top gear, hit the kill switch and pull in the clutch. Keep the throttle pinned!

The bleed screw is a low speed air screw? Or low speed fuel screw? I think it’s an air screw by quickly looking up your carb.

How did you come to use the #15? Did you do some no load testing checking for throttle response, hesitations, rpm’s, and return to idle speed after releasing the throttle….

it’s been a minute, so I forgot the exact process.
I think I found this video helpful for tuning the idle circuit. IIRC, his awkwardness is great but the info was greater.

Definitely running rich. I can smell it. No black smoke, but you can smell it. I also suspect the float may need adjustment. The range is 22-24MM and I'm at 22. I'll set it at 23 or 24 and try that. I ordered a couple jets.

Big Bob

Reaction score
Make sure fuel delivery is not overpowering the float, sounds like you've got a monster!
On that subject—- I use a gravity tank. I’ve left the gas on for hours with the engine off. Never saw a leak so I assume the float is shutting it off okay.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
You have ignored my question that may answer your question. The best way to not find answers is to not answer questions.

why the #15 pilot jet?
How did we get there?

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
What is cruise rpm?
Does it pop when you let off the throttle or while holding it steady?

Steady at WOT for “cruising rpm”
Steady at 1/2 throttle for “cruising rpm”

Misfire meaning what exactly? A pop? An after fire? “Misfire When you let off the throttle, or misfire at steady throttle?

Big Bob

Reaction score
You have ignored my question that may answer your question. The best way to not find answers is to not answer questions.

why the #15 pilot jet?
How did we get there?
Can’t remember what jet was in it from the factory. I had a 15 and tried it. Seems to idle pretty well. No hesitation if I smash down the throttle. I ordered a set of jets. I think about a 20 would work best.

Big Bob

Reaction score
What is cruise rpm?
Does it pop when you let off the throttle or while holding it steady?

Steady at WOT for “cruising rpm”
Steady at 1/2 throttle for “cruising rpm”

Misfire meaning what exactly? A pop? An after fire? “Misfire When you let off the throttle, or misfire at steady throttle?

After it warms up good and cruising at around a steady 4k rpm it acts like a misfire. No pop.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
After it warms up good and cruising at around a steady 4k rpm it acts like a misfire. No pop.
What would you estimate the throttle position is when cruising at 4k rpm?
1/2 throttle?
3/4 throttle?

In a car, I can identify a misfire by the rough idle.
How does one identify a misfire on a single cylinder vehicle traveling at 4k rpm.
Just curious as to how it feels? Intermediate loss of power? Shaking?

Big Bob

Reaction score
What would you estimate the throttle position is when cruising at 4k rpm?
1/2 throttle?
3/4 throttle?

In a car, I can identify a misfire by the rough idle.
How does one identify a misfire on a single cylinder vehicle traveling at 4k rpm.
Just curious as to how it feels? Intermediate loss of power? Shaking?

Idles pretty smooth with the 15 jet. I'll try a couple larger jets once I get them. Going from a standstill to rapid full throttle application seems very smooth. Cruise is 1/2 throttle or less. This Golf Cart has a 17-1 axle ratio so it's geared really low. Cruise is like 15 MPH. I need to re-gear. LOL
No shake, no loss of power. 1/100 or less of a second misfire. I bet once I get the carb dialed in I could still have that occasional hiccup. If so I'll possibly swap out the mag just to determine if it is spark. I am going to try a 20 idle jet and 190 main jet along with a new spark plug and run it around a while and check the plug.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Idles pretty smooth with the 15 jet. I'll try a couple larger jets once I get them. Going from a standstill to rapid full throttle application seems very smooth. Cruise is 1/2 throttle or less. This Golf Cart has a 17-1 axle ratio so it's geared really low. Cruise is like 15 MPH. I need to re-gear. LOL
No shake, no loss of power. 1/100 or less of a second misfire. I bet once I get the carb dialed in I could still have that occasional hiccup. If so I'll possibly swap out the mag just to determine if it is spark. I am going to try a 20 idle jet and 190 main jet along with a new spark plug and run it around a while and check the plug.
I guess I still don’t understand how you feel a misfire. It doesn’t shake, it doesn’t pop, it doesn’t lose power,… what do it do? A stumble?

What do you feel in the 10 milliseconds of misfire that makes you identify it as a misfire? What is a hiccup?

Big Bob

Reaction score
I guess I still don’t understand how you feel a misfire. It doesn’t shake, it doesn’t pop, it doesn’t lose power,… what do it do? A stumble?

What do you feel in the 10 milliseconds of misfire that makes you identify it as a misfire?
Like the key is shut off for 10 milliseconds. No pop, I'm sure it looses power for 10 milliseconds, but you can't feel it. A very brief stumble.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
If you believe it’s rich at 1/2 throttle, try lowering the needle position from the center slot to one below it. That should lean out the mix for partial throttle.

Needle positioning is easier to change than needle taper.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Maybe D5 is responsible for 1/2 throttle?
Ranges from 1.56mm to 2.04mm.

6DP10
1.56mm is most rich.

6FJ6
2.04mm is most lean… at least on the options I show here.

IMG_5465.jpegIMG_5466.jpegIMG_5464.jpegIMG_5468.jpeg

Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Tossing away the richest discontinued needle..

Not much variance in D1-D3
D4 range is about 2.1 - 2.4mm
D5 range is about 1.7 - 2.1mm
D6 range is about 1.1- 1.9mm

now totally speaking out my a$$,
6DH4 needle looks interesting.
Without knowing what needle you have now…

6DH4
D4 2.26 mm (2.1 - 2.4 range, mid of range)
D5 1.92 mm (1.7- 2.1 range, on the leaner side)
D6 1.58mm (1.1 - 1.8 range, between mid and lean)

IMG_5477.jpegIMG_5468.jpeg

Last edited: