Metal lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
I believe that's a surface grinder on the lathe. I had to make my own as you just about can't find them used. For free I'd jump all over that.
I don't see a tool post, or anything that resembles one. Probably should hit the guy up for pics of the headstock too.

Any chance you might like to share some details on your surface grinder in a new thread?

Ebrownie

Reaction score
Look at the lathes from Northern Tool under the Shop Fox name. They seem to be good machines but they only do up to 3/8" and 3/4" round stock respectively. For myself I'd like to go up to at minimum 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". That widens up the usefulness, but man it ups the cost a lot. The only one that's reasonably cheap is the Gunsmith lathe and it'll do up to 1-5/8" material but it's $4000

Well I was doing a little research and it looks like turning between centers is a good way to machine larger stock, but I'm not sure if those lathes come with dogs to do that and you have to have a hole on the ends of the stock to begin with.

But I can't cut a hole to put the center in if I don't have a chuck that can do that to begin with! So maybe you can buy a bigger chuck for a small lathe?

OzFab

Reaction score
For the record, I've turned 60mm (that's around 1 3/8") round stock in my small lathe (14" between centres)...

A good lathe (even a not so good one) should come with steadies & reverse jaws for the standard 3 jaw chuck (my cheap chinese lathe did); perhaps these would be points to check when researching...

Apart from that, I'm sure we can teach you a few tips & tricks; I know one or two for centring without steadies ;)

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Just found out that HFT sells several lathes, have to be ordered though, and is about as expensive as the Shop Fox or an older lathe. They sell them under the Central Electric brand. Watched a few videos on them and the people that use them for hobbies, like them. They even have milling machines too. If they can be used to machine 1" material, it maybe worth it.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Only an 8x12 and $1000 but still, nice to know they have them. http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-x-12-inch-precision-benchtop-lathe-44859.html

Ebrownie

Reaction score
After some research, I think if I buy one new, I will get the grizzly 7x14. It is only $700, has a fairly powerful motor and comes with more accessories. People also say that grizzly customer service is good so if I have any issues I can get it fixed. It comes with a steady and I see people turning fairly large material without too much trouble. Thanks for the advice all. If I get one I will for sure ask for some tips fabroman :)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-X...765?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Ebrownie

Reaction score
What kind of work are you looking to do?

Just general turning down of round stock, threading, boring, facing, whatever. Nothing specific but I often wish I had one for simple stuff.

I will tell you guys if and when I get one, but I'm too poor right now :lolgoku: if I can convince my dad to pay for half or something maybe I can get it. I turn 16 in a couple months and might be getting a real job this summer, so then I will be a lot better off.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Any plans to make anything in particular?
Thats a pretty small unit, you wouldnt want to spend that much coinage to discover its not big enough for what you want to do.

Check out you local classifieds. I look through mine on a somewhat regular basis... today I found 4 or 5 lathes all within a couple hunnerd +/- of the cost for that grizzly. With care, any of these older lathes would outlast and outcut the grizzly and those like it. I dont mean to rain on your parade, but plastic gears can old do so much...

Then again maybe it would work just fine for what you want to do. :D

Unless you have limited space... then older lathes can be a problem. Like Flyinhillbilly, my lathe has a 6ft bed. With the headstock its just about 10ft long, and with the way the motor and gearbox (old car transmission :D ) its about 5ft deep at the headstock and over 6ft high.

Dont get me wrong, a small benchtop lathe would be great for small stuff. I do plan on getting one someday.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ebrownie

Reaction score
I watched some pretty comprehensive reviews on it and it seems like the 7x14s have plenty of power. I don't mind taking shallower cuts even if it takes longer. I have been looking on Craigslist but I haven't found much for what I want. I will keep looking.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
I watched some pretty comprehensive reviews on it and it seems like the 7x14s have plenty of power. I don't mind taking shallower cuts even if it takes longer. I have been looking on Craigslist but I haven't found much for what I want. I will keep looking.

Im happy to see you are willing to look for an older one. :thumbsup:

No but you'll be wanting to turn your brake discs and such and find you lack just a few....

I dunno, 17in.
If Im trying to turn something bigger than that... I dunno. :roflol:

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
EBrownie, Any luck on lathe search? Just got my tax return money and im thinking about the grizzly 7x14 as well. looks nice.

I'm tempted to build a Concrete lathe.
maxresdefault.jpg

Only because it would be cool to say i built a lathe by hand :) and then i would have a solid lathe to use at a low cost. and could make as big as i want/need.

Although just buying one would be the quick and easy way.

For now i'm keeping my eyes open to good deals.

Ebrownie

Reaction score
Yes, I have been looking periodically. I saw this one recently:
https://spokane.craigslist.org/tls/6049796716.html
I looked it up and it is made by garvin machine co. They went out of business in 1925, so this thing is old. I wouldn't mind having one of these, but this one looks like it has an issue or two and I wouldn't pay what they want for it ($2000).

Attachments

• IMG_3916.JPG
    IMG_3916.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.