Metal lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebrownie

Reaction score
After comprehensively reading through fabromans AusEx thread from 2013, I decided that I really need to have a metal lathe at some point. I did some researching and it looks like decent lathes are pretty dang expensive.

I looked at some of the 7x12" mini lathes, but it sounds like they can't do much metal work and are kinda crappy quality. And then I looked at a 10x20" shop fox lathe, which seems to be of better quality but is almost 3 times the price. I also thought about buying a lathe used, but I didn't find much on Craigslist.

So, what kind of lathes do you guys own (if you have one)? can they cut metal good? Is there any other place where I could find used ones besides Craigslist? Any input is appreciated :)

https://www.amazon.com/Central-Machinery-Precision-Mini-Lathe/dp/B006ZB9W6Q?tag=maxcnash-20

https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G8688-Metal-Lathe-12-Inch/dp/B0000DCZ7D?tag=maxcnash-20

https://www.amazon.com/M1016-10-Inch-20-Inch-Metal-Lathe/dp/B001R23SAO?tag=maxcnash-20

mckutzy

Reaction score
I dont own one personally, but have used a number over the years....
I would go for the grizzly or the shop fox..... they seam to be a better product...
I know there are bigger stuff from grizzly also... you might find a bigger but better price somewhere along the way...

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Used South Bend and Clausing (think that's right spelling) lathes in high school. Old models, but worked great.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
Mine is a LeBlond 16" with a 6 foot bed that was made in 1914. I still works well enough for what I use it for. I bought it from a crackhead that got all tweaked out and took it apart for $350 5 years ago. If you put out the word that you're looking for one you may find a smoking deal.

Ebrownie

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind an old used one. They are probably better quality if it was made in the US. anyway, regarding the new ones I was looking at, when it says spindle bore, does that mean the size of material you can fit in the chuck (sorry I'm new to this)? I think they are 20mm, which is a little small. I would like to be able to do stuff with 1" bore material.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Just remember... You wont be happy with just a lathe... sooner or later, Youll want a milling machine. :D

Dont be afraid to buy an old geezer of a lathe. Some say they tend to cut more true than newer machines, simply because that are sooo dang heavy. I see lathes pop up $600-$1000.

Find a friendly machine shop and ask questions.

bigrigbri

Reaction score
On some popular models there can be a vertical slide attachment that can handle some light to medium milling operations. On models that don't accommodate an attachment you could purchase a universal beast and get the cross slide either drilled n tapped or use the T slots sometimes provided.
In terms of lathe purchase you could scour the local auctions where ex college /highschool/university machines that were used for training come about now and again and will be tooled up and come with all chucks steadys and ancillaries.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a lathe as well. We have one in the lab at work....i may need to borrow time on it soon. but it's not in my department :( so i dont know if they will let me. But it has lathe and mill attachment in one. I'll have to look at the model and post back here. it is not that big of a machine.

for the last month i've been watching all the youtube videos on homemade lathes. The concrete version is interesting. i guess was designed in WWII (i could be wrong) to help build weapons.

Instructable http://www.instructables.com/id/Concrete-Metal-Lathe/

but really, if i had one. what would i do with it.....anything i want!!! hahahahaha.

good luck on your searches. let us know if you build one :)

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

holy CARP! craigslist

http://fresno.craigslist.org/hvo/5985307907.html

free!!!! heavy machine......time to go get my pickup!

Oh my. 5k lbs! My little truck will not load 2.5 tons! And I can't lift that.....moving company? Any thoughts peeps?

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Its only a couple miles from me. Bunch of dollys, skateboards, anything with wheels and start pushing :thumbsup:

Although looking at it, not sure if its a normal lathe? Or like one of those wheel lathes? Anyone have an idea on this cl lathe?

Sorry Ebrownie, didnt mean to hijack this thread. If you want this thing you can pick it up too!

Ebrownie

Reaction score
No problem I don't mind a slight hijack, it's hard not to do :). I don't think I need a lathe(or whatever it is) that big lol. I also live in MT which is a little ways from there.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
I believe that's a surface grinder on the lathe. I had to make my own as you just about can't find them used. For free I'd jump all over that.
I don't see a tool post, or anything that resembles one. Probably should hit the guy up for pics of the headstock too.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Look at the lathes from Northern Tool under the Shop Fox name. They seem to be good machines but they only do up to 3/8" and 3/4" round stock respectively. For myself I'd like to go up to at minimum 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". That widens up the usefulness, but man it ups the cost a lot. The only one that's reasonably cheap is the Gunsmith lathe and it'll do up to 1-5/8" material but it's $4000

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Yah i agree. 3/8 and 3/4 not big enough. why bother. if its go kart related then 1" or 1 1/2" would be nice. Needs to be big enough to create a pocket for a 1" bearing :) That would make me happy. My current project i need to create a 2.7" ID pocket for a huge bearing!

edit: Although 3/4".. you could weld a 3/4" piece to something bigger and then cut down that bigger piece. cut off the 3/4 when done. maybe? could be dangerous?

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Even used lathes are asking for about as much as a new lathe, but they will work 1" minimum. Now if I only had the cash to spend on a lathe and brake press that does 16ga material. What are the odds at winning the Powerball?

Status
Not open for further replies.