• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Metal Detecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I am awaiting delivery of a Garrett Ace 150 metal detector. I have always wanted one, since I was a kid, and I thought with my bonus money I would treat myself.

Has anyone on the forum got a detector, or ever used one? I hear that once you start finding stuff, the bug bites hard and you cant stop.

I am going to be at the beach over the weekend, so hopefully it gets here before then

rocketkart

Reaction score
it is very addictive. i have had no time to use my metal detector. i use a 1st Texas Titan 9000 Pro Metal Detector and found about $500 worth of gold back when u used it. thay are fun and very addictive.:)

machinist@large

Reaction score
:funnypost::lolgoku: Does an early 1980's Bounty Hunter Bandit still count as a metal detector? I just threw a pair of tired (but not yet dead) 9V batteries in it (changing all the smoke detectors), and it fired right up. Scattered a few tools across the floor, and it still detected them. Had to be almost right on top of them; the folding chair from the closet and the flat bladed shovel I use to clear the porches, 4 to 8 inches. Sound reasonable?

:cheers2::thumbsup::popcorn: Pat

Attachments

• 001 (2).jpg
    001 (2).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 11

ML-TOYS

Reaction score
I had the garret 150, its not bad for a starter. It wont take you long to want an upgrade that will show more material and the most important DEPTH that the 150 is limited to.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
:funnypost::lolgoku: Does an early 1980's Bounty Hunter Bandit still count as a metal detector? I just threw a pair of tired (but not yet dead) 9V batteries in it (changing all the smoke detectors), and it fired right up. Scattered a few tools across the floor, and it still detected them. Had to be almost right on top of them; the folding chair from the closet and the flat bladed shovel I use to clear the porches, 4 to 8 inches. Sound reasonable?

:cheers2::thumbsup::popcorn: Pat

Cool! You probably need to upgrade though. Did you ever use it for coin hunting?

We have a few boer war battle sites close to where I live. There was one of the concentration camp sites just up the road from me. I am going to spend some time there to see what I get

machinist@large

Reaction score
Cool! You probably need to upgrade though. Did you ever use it for coin hunting?

We have a few boer war battle sites close to where I live. There was one of the concentration camp sites just up the road from me. I am going to spend some time there to see what I get

:funnypost::lolgoku::cheers2: Sorry Paul, around here in my part of the State ( West Michigan), we have no battle sites. On the other hand, my Great Uncle Ralph (the gentleman that left me my tractor) claimed that it was one of the best buys my parents ever made. It was a combined Christmas present for me and my younger brother (10 & 9); by the time I turned 12, said uncle had made enough renting my brother and I (at first), and later just me to search for lost or broken parts off of farm machinery for all the neighbors that he bought both of us our choice of brand new Schwinn 10 speeds......

:sifone::sifone:Did I mention that I'm the one who still has the metal detector? :sifone::sifone:

:wai::thumbsup::cheers2::popcorn: Pat

robbie

Reaction score
I find all kinds of interesting things here at home, including fence wire, horse shoes, square nails, and tons of brackets, fasteners, springs, horse tack, and other objects. I also find lots of stone tools as well, from way back. I suppose this piece of land has been inhabited for a very long time. I find all this stuff just by planting gardens. I wonder what I would find if I actually used a metal detector. It probably wouldn't ever stop detecting.

machinist@large

Reaction score
I find all kinds of interesting things here at home, including fence wire, horse shoes, square nails, and tons of brackets, fasteners, springs, horse tack, and other objects. I also find lots of stone tools as well, from way back. I suppose this piece of land has been inhabited for a very long time. I find all this stuff just by planting gardens. I wonder what I would find if I actually used a metal detector. It probably wouldn't ever stop detecting.

:funnypost::lolgoku:

Flint arrowheads are common in the fields up here in Michigan as well; being a minor fan of archeology, from what I've read, the more temperate parts of the continent have had a heavier human presence since ancient times than up here where they knew they were going to freeze their :censored: every winter, no matter what.

Metal detecting can be a lot of fun; it's kind of like you're having a real world (as far as budget and hardware) version of Dr. Ballard looking for the Bismark or the Yorktown; on the Titanic, he was teamed up with a French team that did approx. 90% of the side scan sonar search. That fact was buried as part of the cold war (the French are understandably still pissed); Ballard's part of the expedition was fully funded by the US Navy, who wanted the Soviet Union to think they could do anything, anywhere, anytime (which has since come out was what the Soviet Naval High Command totally believed was the case).

Personally, I'm dreaming of the day when ground penetrating radar finally moves out of the lab.......:drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

:cheers2: :thumbsup: :popcorn: Pat

robbie

Reaction score
:funnypost::lolgoku:

Flint arrowheads are common in the fields up here in Michigan as well; being a minor fan of archeology, from what I've read, the more temperate parts of the continent have had a heavier human presence since ancient times than up here where they knew they were going to freeze their :censored: every winter, no matter what.

We have a gently sloping, south facing hill with a decent creek at the bottom, as well as a spring halfway down, and a generous flint deposit at the top. It's a perfect place for an ancient settlement. We find tons of chips in certain places, which is undoubtedly where they made all the tools, and the tools themselves are scattered everywhere. I have a friend who only has to glance around whenever he's here, and he comes up with something in less than a minute. I've found a nice 5 inch stone ax, a few hand held scrapers and blades, and a bunch of broken spear points. My friend told me that the only whole arrowheads and spear points are the ones that they dropped or lost accidentally. That makes sense. I found a really big spear point in my sewer trench. I don't know if I broke it while digging, or if it was waiting that way for me to find it.

You guys really have me going on the metal detector idea. I'm sure I would find thousands of shotgun shells and various cartridges, car parts, gate hinges, and household hardware, in addition to all the other stuff. I find lots of spark plugs. Every time it rains I can walk out my front door and pick up at least a dozen nails that have been exposed. When I first got here I found enough to fill a three gallon bucket.

rocketkart

Reaction score
one time i found a set of braces for someones teeth. but the weirdest thing i have found was a top half a ww2 tank about 4 ft in the ground in the swamp couldn't find the other half. off it whent to the scrap yard.:)

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I got 2 Garrett Ace 250 detectors for myself and my son in law on friday, and we went to the beach this weekend. It was a public holiday here yesterday, so we had a nice long weekend.

Using the detector is awesome and loads of fun. We found a whole load of junk like bottle caps and pull tabs, but we also got coins, tent pegs, etc.

I think I am hooked. Now all I have to do is find some jewellery

Attachments

• 2013-12-14-499.jpg
    2013-12-14-499.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 2013-12-14-500.jpg
    2013-12-14-500.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 2013-12-14-501.jpg
    2013-12-14-501.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 9
Status