Mario Kart Update (aka DuroPower)

snowjob

Reaction score
Oooh, I didn't consider the motor movement for chain tension as it is also applicable to our kart. If we do support the exhaust off the motor vs the frame, that problem takes care of itself.

BTW, your kart is krazy ;-). I may have to take a closer look.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I'll attach a few pics of the kart, can't describe all the krazy in that thing, not even in pics.
See your mounting ears for your gas tank that was there? What I see is a couple of long bolts with their heads tacked to the exhaust under there, sticking up thru those elongated mounting ear holes. Rubber isolations against vibration, nutted in place above and below. Moves in place with the motor, no other metal contact.
Note: Pics are old, entire front end now changed, flag paints done, flamethrower in place, dual pedal sets done, etc.

Attachments

• 100_0168.JPG
    100_0168.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 100_0164.JPG
    100_0164.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 100_0172.JPG
    100_0172.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 100_0173.JPG
    100_0173.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 100_0167.JPG
    100_0167.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 4

snowjob

Reaction score
Tacked on the straight sections before the rear cones and welded up the seems on the cones. Since I got my 1/16 electrode and filler rod, I played with amperage and pulse while welding the cones and was pretty satisfied with the results without using any filler rod. I am surprised how much harder it is to weld once you start adding the filler. Definitely NOT like soldering or even brazing, much more precise taking lots more skill on this thin material.

IMG_0581.jpeg IMG_0582.jpeg

My son routed the longer fuel line, finished the new throttle linkage and rotated the pull start so it is straight up.

snowjob

Reaction score
Oh, and unfortunately running it at the nearby track is out. They say anything other than an actual race kart is just too easy to tip. That leaves us to find a good spot for testing.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
So what's their miff, Biff? How do they decide what an "actual race kart" is? Is it because the center of gravity's too high, and there's a max measurement allowed between butt and pavement to prevent "tipping"?

snowjob

Reaction score
Yes, they asked what the ground clearance was and decided it was too high. They also indicated race carts have bumpers, spec tubing, etc. He did offer I take it over for a tech inspection, but guessed it would not pass. The track is about an hour away, so I don't like the idea of running it down there on a trailer (no truck at the moment) only to be turned away.

snowjob

Reaction score
As always happens with our projects, this has gone off the rails.....again. Wife got a new job, we decided to move, put house on market and son broke off the exhaust bolt in the head. A couple attempts to weld a nut to it have not worked. I was hoping we would have a window between selling and moving to finish this project, but now I am not so sure. Broken studs, bolts in heads are the bane of my existence!

snowjob

Reaction score
Funny you say that, we have discussed it. The housing market is so crazy right now, I have no idea what we will end up with. Sadly, the most promising prospect today is a custom built home in a golf estate with an HOA......definitely less go-kart friendly than even our current neighborhood. Though there are a few tracks in the nearby vacation town, so perhaps we could at least get permission to run it there.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I second that HOA notion! Hidden Hills community's HOA tried to outdo Hidden Hills Country Club's HOA on the other side of the street, made my life miserable. In the end I had to scare them so bad that they'd go inside their houses if they saw me coming, that's no real community.

snowjob

Reaction score
We were slowed down by a move and lack of workspace, but he had a trimester worth of small engine class that gave him time to "finish" it. It's not quite to the level I would do it, but considering it was supposed to be his project, he is happy with it and just wants to be done and move onto a full size car. I still bought the pieces for a custom tank and I am pretty sure the engine needs some tuning, so we'll see where it goes from here.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Very creative exhaust, snowjob. Didn't realize it was going to be all separated out like that. Are all 4 megaphones functional, or just the 2 on the bottom? If all 4, that's a slick splice attachment job for the top 2.
BTW, is that just regular paint? Very high temp header paint in rattlecans costs less than half-again of regular paint. Used flat black VHT on mine.

snowjob

Reaction score
The exhaust was all his idea. All four cones are functional. The splice is pretty rough, but I let him take the lead to keep it moving forward. He got a quick lesson that fab is nowhere near as simple as he thought.

I think he used VHT, but I'm not sure. It likely has 20-30m of runtime and no discoloration yet. I would have gone polished, but he was fine with painted.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
That throttle linkage that's not hooked up to the throttle shaft on the carb, is it like that because of nothing being there to keep it from popping up and out with vibration? I've considered some kind of tab over one of mine (just one screw securing it to easily remove it) just for the added security of it, haven't tried to invent one yet. Got any plans for that on yours? Scratch that, got any easy ideas I could use for mine?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Just looked closer at your exhaust header, great job fitting that pipe in between the stud nuts. Is that 1" EMT tubing there and throughout the exhaust system? I know that 3/4" is a little small per my performance guy, so I struggled with fitting my 1" EMT with its big rough stick welds in between the nuts, had to grind away some weld.
Very nice and symmetrical 90 degree bends in the system, are those store-bought sweeps from the electrical parts aisle like I've used in places, or do you have a pipe bender that good?