Manual brake issues HELP!!!

Snaker

Reaction score
No, I literally checked with every hardware store in town and automotive stores and Aubuchon. None of them have yokes.

So I ended up buying a couple sticks of threaded rod and a turnbuckle put a slight offset in the rod and then I welded a bolt on each end. I also flipped around my brake caliper, so the lever is down. I then took the brake pedal off, drilled another hole higher up for more leverage. I can actually say that the brakes work now they’re not perfect but they will stop you. I believe I haven’t had a chance to test it really because we’re getting a lovely snow storm here.
I’ll post pics when I get some.
Not sure if the effect would be all that noticeable but mounting the rod farther out on the pedal would reduce your leverage.
More movement vs less leverage
Moving the mount towards the pivot would result in less movement vs more leverage

At the caliper end, mounting the rod farther out would give more leverage.
More movement vs more leverage

So for max leverage the rod would be mounted towards pivot on the pedal and away from pivot at the caliper, with the limit being the amount of foot action movement acceptable for full brake power

Last edited:

Snaker

Reaction score
Another thing that can help, but may not always be possible is having both levers positioned as close as possible to a 90 degree angle to the rod at the point of max braking.
Not at first brake contact but when its biting down at max, 90 degrees is good.

GeorgeG4

Reaction score
Yeah, not really possible in my application I do not think. I think the way I’ve got it now will work. We will see.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Yeah, not really possible in my application I do not think. I think the way I’ve got it now will work. We will see.
You finally got something going, enjoy what you've accomplished. Not to say any other suggestions aren't valid, since it's working satisfactorily just get riding.