Manual brake issues HELP!!!

bullseye670

Reaction score
Interesting. I just installed a disc. brake set up on my kart. I also purchased the heavy duty brake cable from gopowersports. I haven't had a chance to actually use it while driving but It seems to work pretty good when I test it. I was hoping that the thick cable wouldn't have too much stretch. I'll fill you in when I get it on the road.

Attachments

• IMG_20230307_033012948.jpg
    IMG_20230307_033012948.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230307_033026229.jpg
    IMG_20230307_033026229.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230307_033046186.jpg
    IMG_20230307_033046186.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12

GeorgeG4

Reaction score
Interesting. I just installed a disc. brake set up on my kart. I also purchased the heavy duty brake cable from gopowersports. I haven't had a chance to actually use it while driving but It seems to work pretty good when I test it. I was hoping that the thick cable wouldn't have too much stretch. I'll fill you in when I get it on the road.
Awesome! Thank you. How about pictures of your setup?

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Referring to post #41
...look at the 3rd pic (of the pedal)

Notice there are (3) attachment holes for the brake cable (or rod)?

The lowest hole (closest to the fulcrum) will provide the least amount of leverage
...whereas the top hole can provide more leverage (being further away from the fulcrum) :thumbsup:

* Motorcycles have used brake cables for a very long time
...& if there weren't safe or effective, they wouldn't/couldn't use them (just sayin') ;)

GeorgeG4

Reaction score
Referring to post #41
...look at the 3rd pic (of the pedal)

Notice there are (3) attachment holes for the brake cable (or rod)?

The lowest hole (closest to the fulcrum) will provide the least amount of leverage
...whereas the top hole can provide more leverage (being further away from the fulcrum) :thumbsup:

* Motorcycles have used brake cables for a very long time
...& if there weren't safe or effective, they wouldn't/couldn't use them (just sayin') ;)
Yes, mine in is in the highest hole on the pedal. My set up looks just like his except mines mounted with the caliper arm on the top.

The only other thing with mine with the cable is my cable is about 2 inches too short so I’ve had to add to it to allow it to reach the caliper arm. It doesn’t make any difference I just wanted to let you all know.

Last edited:

Karttekk

Reaction score
I would pick up a section of all thread rod, two yoke ends and some bolt/nut combos. Measure your distance, thread a yoke on each end then run the nut & bolt through to secure. Refer to image. I hope this makes sense. The yoke goes over the brake pedal arm on one end and the caliper arm on the other.

Attachments

• fabbed rod.jpg
    fabbed rod.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 2

GeorgeG4

Reaction score
Yeah, I’d like to find some of those locally. Unfortunately, we don’t have many options here where I live.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Make your own. Get the threaded rod and yokes at Home Depot or a hardware store. All standard stuff. You can get 5/16" solid rod and add the threads with a die. Get creative!

GeorgeG4

Reaction score
Make your own. Get the threaded rod and yokes at Home Depot or a hardware store. All standard stuff. You can get 5/16" solid rod and add the threads with a die. Get creative!
I live in Lincoln Maine. The closest Home Depot is an hour away. I’ve got the threaded rod. I’m just gonna have to make some thing for the end. which I can do. Just be easier and a lot nicer to just screw on a yoke on both ends.

GeorgeG4

Reaction score
No, I literally checked with every hardware store in town and automotive stores and Aubuchon. None of them have yokes.

So I ended up buying a couple sticks of threaded rod and a turnbuckle put a slight offset in the rod and then I welded a bolt on each end. I also flipped around my brake caliper, so the lever is down. I then took the brake pedal off, drilled another hole higher up for more leverage. I can actually say that the brakes work now they’re not perfect but they will stop you. I believe I haven’t had a chance to test it really because we’re getting a lovely snow storm here.
I’ll post pics when I get some.

GeorgeG4

Reaction score
Sounds like you're getting somewhere. Looking forward to the results. It's frustrating to learn this stuff but I bet you'll feel pretty good when you can finally fly around and stop!
Lol yup. I just want it safe for anyone who may ride it or if I sell it.

GeorgeG4

Reaction score
GeorgeG4,....You know that you never failed at any of those attempts to get the brakes to work, the way you wanted to.

You just learned several ways of how the brakes don't work, the way you wanted them to work.
You are correct.
Thank you

panchothedog

Reaction score
Not bad, not bad at all. You showed GOOD ingenuity, and it looks presentable.
More importantly you got your brakes working good enough that you feel comfortable driving your kart. Way To Go.