manco dingo 2020

Mr. Spindle

Reaction score
hey everyone if you don’t remember me, i’m Ethan. I’ve been restoring a manco dingo for the last four years on and off. finally decided to finish it with a bang this year after taking pretty much a three year break. this weekend i’m going to go pick up a honda gx390 13 hp and fabricate the engine mount setup so it’ll fit. i’ll keep this thread updated and in doing so, keep you guys updated.

Last edited:

Mr. Spindle

Reaction score
got the gx390 today! it definitely needs a cleanup as it was on a pressure washer prior to now. i’ll send pictures of the cleanup/repainting process.

Mr. Spindle

Reaction score
here’s what the go kart is looking like so far. i’ll send engine pics after this.

Mr. Spindle

Reaction score
I was asking which crank was on there.

yeah i have a straight crank

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

looking everything over (pre torque converter

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

anyone have advice on cutting out engine mount slides?

Smerft85

Reaction score
Drill the ends of the adjustment holes, 4" grinder with a worn down cut off wheel to cut between the holes, then file way less. If you need a template use some cardboard and poke the holes thru to match the engine, lay the template straight and spray paint over the holes in the template, move it 2" down the plate, make sure it lines up, spray again, use a speed square to draw your cutting lines, drill and cut when happy.

Mr. Spindle

Reaction score
thanks, i actually ended up using a jigsaw with a metal blade, then realized i totally for got about the jackshaft plate. i’m ending up having to use the original mounting plate instead of this custom one.

Mr. Spindle

Reaction score
here’s my next issue, should the shafts align? also my plates are in a scary situation, but i will have to double post to show you that picture because of tapatalk.

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

here’s the plate issue

again, sorry for the double post. any suggestions on these?

Mr. Spindle

Reaction score
Your frame might be made for a small block where as the engine is a big block.

Different mounting pattern.

the engine actually is twice as big as the original in horsepower. the mounting plate will be fine, but would it be ok just to drill some holes in the jackshaft plate so it’ll fit?

Earthy

Reaction score
I put a 420cc motor on my Dingo last summer. I found that I had to cut out the old mounting plate (left the cross members alone), made up some new rails from an old bed frame, and then put a new mounting plate on from GPS. This allowed the series 40 torque converter to line up without the converter back plate hitting the frame. Otherwise you may have to use spacers to get it to clear the rear of the frame.

I'll try to post some pics tonight.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Well hey! I think this makes almost a dozen "old timer" members that came back! Lemme guess, you're bored out of your mind in quarantine?

Budget Gokart and I have been called the Spunkbrothers before, and I've theorized before that you were kind of the original. :D :cornut:

GX390, eh? ->
Mr.Spindle said:
I just bought a honda!

:roflol: