Manco 606 Scorpion MORE PERFORMANCE - Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaugesen

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Lubbock, Texas
Hello all, I am new to this, and have little experience with go karts other than driving them for fun. I purchased a Manco 606 Scorpion frame 3 weeks ago for my son and me to play with, and have since put a predator 212 hemi, high flow air filter, header, and rejet. I also got rid of the god awful yellow and paint the thing top to bottom. From reading posts, I have two extra belts (as back-up) and an additional drive and driven 30 series pulleys so if we go down, we aren't down for long. I purchased an aftermarket Mikuni Carb to put on it, and mistakenly got the 26mm vm22 and not the 22mm (I know I know) I am planning on removing the govenor soon, but not really planning on doing anymore to this thing at this time, or in the near future. I might get an additional street go kart to play with so I can keep tinkering in the garage. My ask is this:
Would the 26mm VM22 be a good carb to add, or would that size on a stage 1 predator 212 be more trouble than it is worth? I want more off the line, but the 40mph top speed on street and flat dirt is good for now.
 

Attachments

  • 20200125_214829.jpg
    20200125_214829.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200125_214759.jpg
    20200125_214759.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 13

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Messages
4,026
Reaction score
163
Location
Texas
26mm is way too much carb for a Stage 1 212. Try returning it and getting a 22mm. 26mm will theoretically be really good for top end, but it will kill torque. The reason? Even with seriously reworked heads, race 212s have about a 26mm max as far as carbs.
 

Jaugesen

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Lubbock, Texas
Oh, and the driver side rear tire is stuck on the rear axle, and it is the hex axle. I am thinking about getting a new axle set up, and would like any input there. Should I go with hex again? Should i go round. Live axle sprocket advice? Bigger tires, or stay with the size that is on their (15 front & 18 back). Any realistic advice that would improve my son's experience on this thing. I am having just as much fun tinkering as driving it.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Thanks JTSpeedDemon. I have watch video of people putting the 26mm on mini bikes. I have a stock ct200u. Would it work on that, or still to much for that too?
 

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Messages
2,195
Reaction score
154
Location
roachdale, indiana
My buddy has the same kart as you he has a subaru robin with a slide carb on it it isnt safe by all means i could make it safe pretty easily but he refuses
 

Jaugesen

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Lubbock, Texas
What isn't safe about it? My son is 7 years old, and at this point just rides with me on it. I would want to examine that, and make sure the danger is minimized. Some danger is ok, as that is part of the fun
 

Guapo613

Member
Messages
36
Reaction score
1
Location
Shasta County, California
Honda GX390 or Predator 420 will wake that Scorpion up. As far as the Hex wheel that's stuck, try your ****edest to remove it without destroying the wheel. Those hex wheels are impossible to find.
 

Jaugesen

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Lubbock, Texas
I have thought about going the 420 predator route in some time. Right now it has the stock mechanical disc brake (only on rear). Would I need to add better brakes and put some up front for more stopping power with the bigger heavier engine? It doesnt do that great in stopping power as is
 

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Messages
2,468
Reaction score
132
Location
North West Arkansas
26mm is way too much carb for a Stage 1 212. Try returning it and getting a 22mm. 26mm will theoretically be really good for top end, but it will kill torque. The reason? Even with seriously reworked heads, race 212s have about a 26mm max as far as carbs.

I’m putting a 34mm flatslide on the motor that I’m building for this season, I’ve got a 28 on the one from last year. It’s really all about the combination of parts.
 

Jaugesen

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Lubbock, Texas
So if I dont go with a mikuni carb, what could I do to increase acceleration of the line other than drop 20 pounds off of me hahahaha.
 

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Messages
2,195
Reaction score
154
Location
roachdale, indiana
What isn't safe about it? My son is 7 years old, and at this point just rides with me on it. I would want to examine that, and make sure the danger is minimized. Some danger is ok, as that is part of the fun

On his heres the list
Seatbelts broken
No brakes
Steering is stiff
Front tires are wobbly and not tightened down
No throttle control
Three gas tanks?
Bunch if stuff on the cage blocking rear and most front view
Cage wobbles
Tires go flat
 

Jaugesen

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Lubbock, Texas
On his heres the list
Seatbelts broken
No brakes
Steering is stiff
Front tires are wobbly and not tightened down
No throttle control
Three gas tanks?
Bunch if stuff on the cage blocking rear and most front view
Cage wobbles
Tires go flat
Budget GoKart.... I would agree with you there. Not safe...

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

All in, I would like this thing to have enough torque to climb some minor inclines, 40 to 50 mph top speed, and carry a little more weight as I was thinking of mounting some ammo cans in the back to carry spare parts and some tools. And I have heard too much weight will tear up belts fast. Don't get me wrong I would love to be able to "Dukes of Hazzard" this thing! But I do understand that it is a Go Kart. And that I will have a 7 year old passenger with me 75-80% of the time.
 

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Messages
4,026
Reaction score
163
Location
Texas
That 26mm is way too much for a CT-200. More like a Predator 301 or 420.

Just remember, there's no replacement for displacement, a 212 won't be able to fulfill that list easily without some serious mods and an appropriate drivetrain.
 

Guapo613

Member
Messages
36
Reaction score
1
Location
Shasta County, California
So if I dont go with a mikuni carb, what could I do to increase acceleration of the line other than drop 20 pounds off of me hahahaha.

The Scorpion 606 is a bit on the heavy side for a Predator 212. You can build up the 212 and even add a Comet 44 Magnum (the Comet 30 is marginal for a Scorpion) but what you really need is TORQUE.
 

Jaugesen

New member
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Lubbock, Texas
What I am seeing is that I guess I should seriously consider moving up to the 420 predator with a 40 series torque converter.

Would this allow for bigger tires on the front and back as well?
Would I need to consider building up the front end? Fab dual A-arm, or add front bumper to add weight?
 

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Messages
4,026
Reaction score
163
Location
Texas
A 420/40 series would be a great combo for that, and it will give excellent takeoffs compared to the 212. And yes, it would be easier to put bigger tires on.

As far as suspension or not, think about how much work you want to put into it, and how will you be riding it. Will it be on road or off road? Pavement or gravel?
 

70Cobra

Member
Messages
54
Reaction score
33
Location
NJ
I have basically the same cart from Manco, it's an XTK. Can you weld?

I picked up a roller quad bike and put the front suspension on it. I widened the quads front end so that the pivot points of the A arms lined up with the ends of a rack and pinion I got, so it doesn't get bump steer. The tie rods also need to be at the same angle as your A arms. The rack was from a Spiderbox cart.

Then you get large front wheels and hydraulic disc brakes, for relatively cheap. It makes a huge difference in the comfort and also steering and handling of this cart and will totally change your enjoyment factor.

I personally would not put a 420 on this cart with the stock front wheels, shocks and steering, especially if I had my child in it.

I also got some RZR take out bucket seats from fleebay. They also made a huge difference in comfort.

Some Honda Trx 250 shocks would work nicely on the back but are longer than stock so again you would need to be able to weld.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top