Manco 386B-17 Stage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missile

New member
Messages
29
Reaction score
2
Finally got some time to install the stage 1 mods on the go kart.

Stage 1 Kit:
K&N style air filter
.038 main
Header and muffler

There is definitely more torque, I'm definitely satisfied with the stage 1 kit.

I used a piece of angle iron to make the muffler bracket, not the prettiest weld but it works. I didn't weld on the cross tube...…… (I'm going to take an angle grinder and clean it up).

Next thing on the list is to replace the steering wheel. The steering wheel is right in my lap so I need to see if I can shorten the steering shaft.

I can get it sand blasted for $130, don't know if it's a good price but I'd rather not strip the kart down myself. They wanted $360 for sandblasting and powder coat, a bit steep?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20190620_70%.jpg
    IMG_20190620_70%.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20190620_70%A.jpg
    IMG_20190620_70%A.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 16

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,194
Reaction score
4,166
I like it. Would like to see more pics as well. Not sure what steering wheel you have on it, but you could always try a smaller wheel.... or lose some weight!
:roflol: ...jk

Interesting choice for a muffler. Would love to know more about it and maybe hear it run.
Ya oughta do a video. :thumbsup:
 

950speed

New member
Messages
421
Reaction score
9
Location
Texas
I ami interested in the muffler as well. Does it quiet it down, or restrict performance in any way?
 

Missile

New member
Messages
29
Reaction score
2
The pit bike muffler is made in China, 28mm Exhaust Muffler Pipe Aluminum Alloy For 125cc 150cc Dirt Pit Bike ATV. It's pretty much a straight through pipe that baffles into the outer chamber. it has a spark arrestor on the output. Cost $21.

It's hard for me to judge the output of the header over the stock muffler since I'm standing close to it. I'm sure the header/muffler is louder but it sounds decent. I ran the header without the muffler, that was loud.


https://youtu.be/OPvLabCd42I
 

Missile

New member
Messages
29
Reaction score
2
Started working on replacing the steering wheel but it's about 105 degrees in the garage, a little too uncomfortable. The filter is for the gas tank vent. Maybe later this evening.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20190621_Steering_New.jpg
    IMG_20190621_Steering_New.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20190621_Steering_Old.jpg
    IMG_20190621_Steering_Old.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20190621_Shaft.jpg
    IMG_20190621_Shaft.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 4

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,194
Reaction score
4,166
Good video. Sounds throaty but it's hard to judge just how quiet it is at idle and just above idle.
Can you see through the muffler end to end?

For the common Manco steering wheel shaft and your new steering wheel to fit, are you going to make an adapter?
 

Missile

New member
Messages
29
Reaction score
2
Good video. Sounds throaty but it's hard to judge just how quiet it is at idle and just above idle.
Can you see through the muffler end to end?

For the common Manco steering wheel shaft and your new steering wheel to fit, are you going to make an adapter?

Hey Hellion,

I'm taking the steering wheel flange and welding it to the steering wheel shaft. Then bolt the steering wheel to the flange. Ordered a replacement seat, same style for pretty cheap. I'm ordering a tach/hour meter in order to monitor the RPMs. Plan on keeping it under 5K RPM. Will change the oil every 10 to 15 hours.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20190622_Flang1.jpg
    IMG_20190622_Flang1.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20190622_Flang.jpg
    IMG_20190622_Flang.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 1

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
Looks good..
Honestly thats way too much... past the break in... change it when it needs it...
These engines are meant to last a while in all sorts of conditions....
 

Missile

New member
Messages
29
Reaction score
2
Looks good..
Honestly thats way too much... past the break in... change it when it needs it...
These are meant to last a while in all sorts of conditions....

I'm not a fan of plastic steering wheels, they tend to flex. I'm planning of restoring the kart. Sandblast and paint, black frame and red attachments. Besides, it's fun.
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
Depends on use.....Think on how often a lawnmower is changed..IF it is. Albeit this isnt a lawn mower... but still an industrial engine...
It can go many years with minimal use...If there is gas in it, then soon as possible.. as this degrades the lubricating properties of the oil....

From the few manuals Ive read... It says about 100hr or every season.....Most of that is elimination of moisture buildup...
This would be about stock or typical stg1 upgrades.
 

Missile

New member
Messages
29
Reaction score
2
Finally cooled down to be able to work in the garage and continue with restoring the kart.

I purchased adjustable seat sliders, had to cut half of the existing seat mount brackets off the frame and relocate the 2 bracket half's to the rear mounts on the adjustable seat sliders. The front of the seat sliders attached to the stock seat mount on the frame. I'm just starting with welding so it's not the best but it works.

Made a accelerator pedal stop (cable strain relief), must of had too much time on my hands.

I still have a tach/hour meter to install then most likely have it sand blasted.
 

Attachments

  • Seat.jpg
    Seat.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Seat1.jpg
    Seat1.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 0
  • Seat Ins.jpg
    Seat Ins.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 1
  • AccelStop.jpg
    AccelStop.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Seat2.jpg
    Seat2.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 1

jmg

New member
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Finally got some time to install the stage 1 mods on the go kart.

Stage 1 Kit:
K&N style air filter
.038 main
Header and muffler

There is definitely more torque, I'm definitely satisfied with the stage 1 kit.

I used a piece of angle iron to make the muffler bracket, not the prettiest weld but it works. I didn't weld on the cross tube...…… (I'm going to take an angle grinder and clean it up).

Next thing on the list is to replace the steering wheel. The steering wheel is right in my lap so I need to see if I can shorten the steering shaft.

I can get it sand blasted for $130, don't know if it's a good price but I'd rather not strip the kart down myself. They wanted $360 for sandblasting and powder coat, a bit steep?

I did the stage 1 from gopower sports, definitely adds some punch!
Now get the polished aluminum valve cover... chrome breather ... polished aluminum starter guard .. because as we all know, chrome adds power :)
 

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Messages
4,026
Reaction score
163
Location
Texas
The HP Run-Down:
Stage 1 Mods add ~2 HP
Clear valve cover adds 2 HP
Shiny parts adds 1 HP per part
Orange adds 5 HP
Stripes adds 1 HP
DIYGK stickers adds 6 HP!
:roflol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top