Manclone: Orange Krate II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
I'm in agreement--delicious looking! Wait until someone comes in here and says the frame isn't complex enough or doesn't have enough tubing and bracing...

Those are super Kool!

The motor mount seems custom.

More mounting options?

I think it's for more room sliding the engine to take up chain slack as the chain stretches over time. But sure, it allows for some engines to fit better, at least fore and aft.

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Too bad it is not a punch list for the Kart assembly.:roflol:

Yes, that's a preproduction punch list from filming last year!

Alright, back to work after vacation, 1st week of school for the kids and managing locations for 2 other local films. We finished filming the build video today with the big reveal and final comments. I hope to have it live on Tuesday. So, stay tuned!

Orange Krate

Reaction score
I've got a really great video I wanna show y'all but I'm having issues with my editing software. It previews perfectly within the app but in the exported file, the audio is off...looks like a Godzilla movie!

Soapbox

Reaction score
Hi, If you’re making a new quality product can I cautiously and respectfully suggest a couple of "possible" improvements?

You’re using behind the axle steering (spindles) so it would be simple to set them up for a “bit” of ackerman steering….A new jig?

Secondly, If you’re still using weld on bolts for axles, how about using shoulder Bolts. At least then bearings would fit the :censored: axles?
Something like the image below.

The above are intended as positive suggestions, not a criticism of your beautiful :thumbsup: work!

Rich

Attachments

• shoulder bolts.jpg
    shoulder bolts.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 19

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Hi, If you’re making a new quality product can I cautiously and respectfully suggest a couple of "possible" improvements?

You’re using behind the axle steering (spindles) so it would be simple to set them up for a “bit” of ackerman steering….A new jig?

Secondly, If you’re still using weld on bolts for axles, how about using shoulder Bolts. At least then bearings would fit the :censored: axles?

Something like the image below.

The above are intended as positive suggestions, not a criticism of your beautiful :thumbsup: work!

Rich

We made this U-weld kit as simple as possible using off the shelf components. I didn't actually make these parts, just put em together. We will be upgrading in future builds, i.e. Adding the dropped front axle and(as I understand it better) Ackerman steering. But I will send your shoulder bolt comment up the chain. Should be an easy improvement to make.

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

The complete build video is live now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahoLo6mSb24

KartFab

Reaction score
Just to add to this thread, I went to the GoKartAlley 'garage' last week in the deathly hot summer heat, braved some nasty wasps (dennis wasnt so lucky ahah) and I got to film Dennis ripping it up on his go kart he has up on kickstarter. Now I went out there to have him mill my cylinder head, and this video was his payment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po9zdh6LkvU&feature=youtu.be

Anyway, i know this is going to sound really salesy and whatnot, but i need some help here. It looks like all the comments in the youtube videos are people freaking out about price, so Im wondering what you all think. Please give us your honest opinion on how much you THINK the complete powder coated kart would be worth brand new, and how much like a 'bare bones' frame with no parts would be worth. Just shoot out some real numbers here because Dennis is trying to get it all handled with pricing.

Anyway, info/opinions for dennis would probably be the most helpful right now as he is in some sort of planning to bring these to market stage, and by planning, i mean he has brought them here and just is figuring out what to charge peeps.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
The price should be the cost of materials, time (labor) plus margin. The margin should probably include 7-10% of the cost of every tool used for the depreciation thereof. It should also satisfy the builder's need for a stream of income. If that is more than the market can bear, then you have an ineffective business model.

datamichael

Reaction score
I'll be completely honest since you're asking for input. Not trying to be negative in any way and I really hope the project works out.

I'd pay $350-400 for a bare frame in XL size. I think anything over $1000 for the whole kit is going to be a tough sell. No reason to include the Predator in my opinion, as these are easy to get from Harbor Freight with a 20% off coupon.

That said, I'd still consider paying the asking price on the kickstarter except for one thing: it's really not a clone of the original American Express. I am concerned about the steering system engineering which does not appear to share the same geometry or ackerman as the original.

Best of luck!

Just to add to this thread, I went to the GoKartAlley 'garage' last week in the deathly hot summer heat, braved some nasty wasps (dennis wasnt so lucky ahah) and I got to film Dennis ripping it up on his go kart he has up on kickstarter. Now I went out there to have him mill my cylinder head, and this video was his payment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po9zdh6LkvU&feature=youtu.be

Anyway, i know this is going to sound really salesy and whatnot, but i need some help here. It looks like all the comments in the youtube videos are people freaking out about price, so Im wondering what you all think. Please give us your honest opinion on how much you THINK the complete powder coated kart would be worth brand new, and how much like a 'bare bones' frame with no parts would be worth. Just shoot out some real numbers here because Dennis is trying to get it all handled with pricing.

Anyway, info/opinions for dennis would probably be the most helpful right now as he is in some sort of planning to bring these to market stage, and by planning, i mean he has brought them here and just is figuring out what to charge peeps.

Status
Not open for further replies.