Making an electric go kart

Davidgo06

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been searching online the direction parts of the go kart and I've found one that I think that it will fit correctly but I don't know what does one piece of the pack

Captura de pantalla 2021-09-25 a las 20.36.32.pngCaptura de pantalla 2021-09-25 a las 20.37.06.png

The pieces that are on the right picture
Its like a spindle?

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
Looking good. I'd try to do a duel A-arm on each side. Maybe something like a spider box front end instead of a straight axle. Your steering will be much better and it won't have to be so long plus you'll be able to add front shock mounts fairly easy. Remember to leave clearance for the tires when in a turn so they don't rub the frame.

Davidgo06

Reaction score
Hi,
I've remodeled a little bit de frame so there's some clearence between the frame and the tires as ONE-EYE said. I'll put some pics.
Does someone know which steering kit should I use because I can't find one with 20 inches 😅.

Captura de pantalla 2021-10-11 a las 19.26.43.pngCaptura de pantalla 2021-10-11 a las 19.26.52.pngCaptura de pantalla 2021-10-11 a las 19.27.02.pngCaptura de pantalla 2021-10-11 a las 19.27.12.png

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
I see your trying to go with the rack n pinion setup but I'm not seeing where/how your looking to connect your A arms to the frame based on the design. The connectors that you're talking about are what goes into the spindle. The A arms connect to the frame (giving an up and down motion) and the spindles connect to the ends of the A arms (giving the side to side motion). The tires are mounted to the spindle. Those connectors are also connected to the spindle so when you turn the steering wheel, it turns both spindles simultaneously... and that's how you steer....Also if you're wanting front shocks, one end connects to the frame and the other to the A arm. This will provide suspension that you'll probably want unless you want to feel EVERYTHING LOL. I hope this helps a bit.

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
Here are some pics of mine before I really started working on it. The yellow piece is a right A arm. As you can see, they're both held in the center with a large bolt (what I call a pivot point). This is an example of a single A arm design. Duel A-arm design uses 2 A-arms on each side allowing greater strength and stability (and also weight). I also am just using tie rods instead of the rack n pinion setup but tbh I like the RNP setup better. I just plan to have my kiddo in it most the time and need the steering mostly on my side so it just kinda works out for me. There are tons of different ways to accomplish what you want but hopefully this helps explain some parts better and maybe gives some ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_20210919_175942844.jpg
    IMG_20210919_175942844.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210919_175951645.jpg
    IMG_20210919_175951645.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210919_160755368.jpg
    IMG_20210919_160755368.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
If you go with that steering setup in the pic above, you can just slapdash the tierods onto the rack and pinion for a measurement. The width from one of the ball joints to the other is how far apart the connection points on your spindle arms should be.
You can build out your frame to have the A-arms in place to mount the spindles right there. Big time and effort savings on the build.
EDIT: If you were wondering what that silver tube with the round steel plate on top of it is, its the connector from the steering wheel (round plate) to the steering shaft.

Davidgo06

Reaction score
Hi,
My idea was to use the parts that are marked at the pic below as the A arms to put the spindles. And the other marked partsare the places were I'll put the spindles, and the question is that if the size of these parts is 15 cm (5,9 inches) will the tires touch the frame or I'll have to make these parts smaller so it doesn't touch?

Captura de pantalla 2021-10-11 a las 19.27.12.png

Last edited:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
You can adapt to fit as you acquire parts. Tire, rim, hub, and spindle makes a single rigid assembly. You can hold that assembly up to the kart frame, turning it as far right/left as you want the steering radius to be, and voila, that's where you mount the spindle.

Davidgo06

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm searching a steering system that is not to complex and difficult to mount onto the frame. I've found two, which do you recommendate me for the gokart?

This one?

ESCUELA SUPERIOR POLITÉCNICA DE CHIMBORAZO FACULTAD DE MECÁNICA ESCUELA DE  INGENIERÍA AUTOMOTRIZ - PDF Descargar libre Sistema de Dirección de un Kart

Or this one?

Anuncio Patrocinado - Volante de 11.811 in, 110 cc, Go Kart, PRO BAT, Go Kart Go Cart ATV UTV 110 cc, 125 cc, 140 cc, 150 ... Soporte de piñón de 11.811 in para volante de 110 cc 125 cc 140 cc 150 cc Go Kart Go Cart Buggy Karting ATV UTV Bike

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I can only reiterate the limitations imposed by the ready-to-install steering setups. They will predetermine how wide the stance will be for your front wheels, and you will have to build your frame around whatever that assembled setup is wide.