Major engine trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
There is a brass mixture screw on the carb. There is also an idle jet and main jet but they require drilling.

OzFab

Reaction score
The old plug looked like the carbon one but it was loaded with carbon and everything was gunked up and the plug was plugged so it wouldnt fire. The new one was a blacky color and the plug was also wet. So how do I make it run leaner? Where is this screw im suppose to adjust?

Can you post some pics of your carb? That way we can show you exactly where it is

joshkidner

Reaction score
drain all the gas out and out of the carb and fill with fresh gas and stabil. if that doesnt help you could have bad heads, or your float keeps getting stuck.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Well there is something obviously wrong there is already massive carbon build up on the plug and the exhast gets wet on the inside after going down the street and back. I have a straight pipe and an uni filter with a 90 jet. Ive had this setup for almost a year with no problems. I also do not have that mixture screw on my carb. How else can i change the mixture?

EDIT: It also experiences random stalling if i give it too much gas and some of the time it will start itself back up.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Personally I think you are too rich. When you throttle it you flood it put I guess.

I would try a stock main jet. I am surprised you don't have that mixture screw. What is there instead?

What does it idle like?

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
it sounds like rings, blueish smoke says its burning oil, loss of power says take a look at your rings, and a carbon fouled plug sounds like stuff burning thats not supposed to. i say try a leak down test

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
it sounds like rings, blueish smoke says its burning oil, loss of power says take a look at your rings, and a carbon fouled plug sounds like stuff burning thats not supposed to. i say try a leak down test

Yeah probably more likely actually. Could be a blown head gasket, I doubt rings would go that quickly. Get or borrow a compression tester.

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
i disagree with head gasket. head gasket problems are when your engine wont idle for **** and you have to keep it at a high rpm to get it to continue to run, and the problem with compression testing clones is that you have to spin the engine backwards due to compression release

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Isn't it very early for the rings to go? I have only had the engine about a year and it doesn't have very many hours. On top of that changing the rings would be a big pain in my behind. Would you suggest I go buy a stock jet or maybe smaller then stock(lost my stock jet)? Or should I just go straight to replacing rings?

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Personally I think you are too rich. When you throttle it you flood it put I guess.

I would try a stock main jet. I am surprised you don't have that mixture screw. What is there instead?

What does it idle like?

There is nothing there, just solid metal. I do have the idle screw though. It idles..decently. It's a clone.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
A leakdown test would tell us whether it is truly a compression/oil problem. You could also take the head off and check the valve guides.

My clone, straight after a rebuild smoked. I am in the process of rebuilding again. I think it was the rings because the end gap was massive. Before the rebuild it didn't smoke, so the rings went pretty quick. They were upside down, but that wouldnt have made all the difference.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
It idles good and after a while of idleing it sometimes starts throwing blue smoke. It runs well unless you go too fast or accelerate too fast.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
A leakdown test would tell us whether it is truly a compression/oil problem. You could also take the head off and check the valve guides.

My clone, straight after a rebuild smoked. I am in the process of rebuilding again. I think it was the rings because the end gap was massive. Before the rebuild it didn't smoke, so the rings went pretty quick. They were upside down, but that wouldnt have made all the difference.

What is a leakdown test? Where can I get it done?

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
this is definetley a rich factor, but sounds as of rings to. you are in the us so you can get a simple leakdown tester from auto zone

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Any compression tester would do for your purpose.
Take off the exhaust rocker and crank her over with tester in place.
If you leave the rocker on the compression release will give you an inaccurate reading.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Sorry for the way late reply, but i just got around to working on the little engine. I decided to just strip it and take everything apart. The inside of the cylinder, the piston head and pretty much everything else looks almost brand new. The only part that actually showed age was the intake and exhaust part(whatever it's called). What I don't understand is the piston rings were perfect. Atleast they looked perfect. Even though they look good, could they still be bad? Any input on what I should do would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.