Looking to build go kart as a summer project

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
So, why did you link those two? Presonally, I wouldn't touch either of those; the OPs choice looks to be the best of a bad bunch, just be aware, it's gonna need a lot more than just an engine & TC, that's when the dollars start adding up...
 

istratmoen

New member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
If a yard frame would be the better option, would building one make more sense? I know some people that can stick weld and I think my grandpa could source cheap tubing.
 

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Messages
2,758
Reaction score
30
Location
Mesa, AZ.
I was just linking the only yard frames I could find in his area just to give an example. Ya those are crap. I do like his.... just thought a certain degree of expertise is needed for a race kart.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
If a yard frame would be the better option, would building one make more sense? I know some people that can stick weld and I think my grandpa could source cheap tubing.

Yes & no; again, that depends on your level of expertise; at least with that frame, you have a well built frame...

The opinion in my previous post still stands...

Oh & no double posting please...
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I would wait and see if a better frame becomes available in your area. To rebuild a race kart can cost a lot more than a yard kart because of the more specialised parts needed. You might even be able to get a kart that has everything on it for a cheap price. When you start buying stuff individually it adds up
 
Messages
147
Reaction score
1
Location
Kansas City, Kansas
If a yard frame would be the better option, would building one make more sense? I know some people that can stick weld and I think my grandpa could source cheap tubing.

That is what i am doing, bought a FLUX welder and a grinder. local steel mill sells tubing for a 1.59 a foot. they gave me scrap tubing for free to practice my welding.

even so be aware it is pricey! i'm already in for 300+ and still need suspension, steering, brakes, drive sprocket & chain.... just to have the basics!

:welcome2: and good luck man! it is a lot more fulfilling to DIY just make sure your able, don't want to start and spend a bunch to have parts sitting in the garage.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top