Looking for any help.

Tommynappy

Reaction score
I had this cart sitting in my barn and decided to drag it out and work on it. I pulled off the carb, gave it a shot or to of carb cleaner and it screamed over on two pulls. I know it's a tecumseh but not sure of the size. I'm guessing 8 horse? Any help would be appreciated. The ID tag says Bird Engineering, the date says LA27 and the serial is 4216. Thank you20220903_165252.jpg20220903_170335.jpg20220903_170346.jpg

panchothedog

Reaction score
Looks like it's worth getting into. With 8 hp and a torque converter that thing could be a runner. Welcome to the forum.

Tommynappy

Reaction score
If it is a 8 hp engine then it is a 300 cc or 18 cubic inch engine. Lots of torque
for a small kart.
It does have a torque converter and a differential with dual brakes. I can't tell if the headlight is stock or if it was added at some point but it looks older. How can I find out what year it is? Thank you.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Your pictures showed up fine. With a flat head engine it's probably at least 20
years old, maybe a lot older. Other than personal curiosity, why is it important
what year it is. Nobody makes parts for either the kart or the engine anymore.

Tommynappy

Reaction score
Your pictures showed up fine. With a flat head engine it's probably at least 20
years old, maybe a lot older. Other than personal curiosity, why is it important
what year it is. Nobody makes parts for either the kart or the engine anymore.
From what I've been finding out, Bird Engineering was bought out by Pheonix Engineering in 84 so it is 38 years old or older. I like history so just like with cars, trucks and bikes, I like to know the karts past. Like when certain models were made, how they were equipt, is this original or has it been modified. The same reason a lot of guys get on these forums, you know, information.