• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Laptop Brand Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Im looking at getting a new laptop and just wanted to know y'all's experiences as far as brands. The last one I had was an Acer and ended up with a broken power supply board, which would have been $120+labor. So Im shying away from Acer. My mom has a Toshiba which has been acting up, so Im sorta leery about them. The desktop Im using is a 6 or 7 year old HP and its still going strong. Im looking at these at the moment:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pa...wter/2715258.p?id=1218346636604&skuId=2715258

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+...Suit/2842766.p?id=1218355789565&skuId=2842766

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
No complaints so far on both the DELL and the HP/Compaq my family has had, although i do like the HP a bit better (but its a good few years newer). One thing i will suggest, get a full size laptop, the smaller things just aren't as good.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
No complaints so far on both the DELL and the HP/Compaq my family has had, although i do like the HP a bit better (but its a good few years newer).

One thing i will suggest, get a full size laptop, the smaller things just aren't as good.

My dad had a Dell that got infected and Dell replaced the hard drive for free. They have really good customer service, but their computers are a bit too expensive.

I would but I go back and fourth between my parents houses so I need something easily portable.

machinist@large

Reaction score
I miss the second hand Mac I used to have; the WinBook I have now still works OK, but the newest version of Windows it can handle is XP. I'm starting to have trouble down loading news videos. Apparently, the news people think if you look at it online, you are supposed to have the latest greatest stuff.:toetap05:

Oh, well.....

redsox985

Reaction score
I have a Dell myself. I got it refurbished, or else I think Dell's are overpriced. I think just about anything Toshiba is a good product, but you do pay for it. I got mine from www.nobetterdeal.com, they're a branch from a company in Pittsburgh that handles the returns for Walmart and, IIRC, BestBuy. So these products are reconditioned and resold. My ex girlfriend's dad is on of the big shots at the company, so he got me an even better deal. :thumbsup:

machinist@large

Reaction score
I have a Dell myself. I got it refurbished, or else I think Dell's are overpriced. I think just about anything Toshiba is a good product, but you do pay for it. I got mine from www.nobetterdeal.com, they're a branch from a company in Pittsburgh that handles the returns for Walmart and, IIRC, BestBuy. So these products are reconditioned and resold. My ex girlfriend's dad is on of the big shots at the company, so he got me an even better deal. :thumbsup:

A question from someone who knows more about hydraulics than this abbreviated computer speak; what does IIRC stand for?

B man

Tecumseh FTW!
Reaction score
well avoid Windows Vista at ALL costs. that second laptop you posted has (Intel® Pentium® Processor) which is rather out dated. Windows7 is a ok OS and XP is a great OS.
vista...sucks. you want it to have a duel core processor or better.

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
Even though I loved my HP, I wouldn't buy another. The power supplies are trash and burn out of the motherboards (2 separate models). Also it should be noted HP is removing themselves from the hardware market and as a company going the route of IBM (software development and a more corporate marketing structure)

By far the best laptops I've owned have been Sony. If I had the money however i'd go straight Alienware, their product is amazing and so is their customer support.

tneff

Reaction score
I currently own, HP/Compaq, Acer, Toshiba, Sony, and a Dell. Have 3 running right now around me for various programs, and softwares. Alienware is owned by Dell now, Gateway and Acer are under the same roof,Compaq and HP share the same bed.

Depending on your intended use, may sway which way you go. Dual Core is the only way, loaded with XP is a true love. On the other hand, I have 2 machines with 64 bit Vista that are bullet proof. One of which is my gaming rig, have never had an issue. Alot of it is version, and how you take care of it (smut etc). Laptops, are not as hard to pick as they once were. Almost all of the major companies make good laptops, you have to know what your looking for in one. The Panasonic Tough Book is probably one of the best, but most expensive out there. Dell, Gateway, Acer make good business class machines along with Sony.

For everyday tinkering, HP/Compaq or Acer. Acer changed Gateway's proprietary thinking, just about all current laptops are end user serviceable with common generic parts. Sony at one point a couple of years ago, was the guru of laptops. That has changed, several models of the Vaio were total crap. All of them make good, and crappy laptops. Figure your budget, and go compare. I am no expert, but work on about 20 laptops a month and see the common issues which are usually end user and smut/virus related.

The parts to replace your Acer power board are about $10 on ebay, somebody is wanting to have a vaseline party with you. I charge $25 plus parts for that repair on most models, my local Geek Squad does not like me. They would rather sell you a new computer, than learn how to take one apart and fix it.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with you about staying away from Acer. I bought an Acer from Best Buy when I was over in San Diego a few years ago, and the motherboard blew just after a year. To fix it would have been the same price as a new laptop. Apparently this is a common problem with Acer. I did Google searches, and everyone on the net had the same problem. Acer would also not admit to it and fix your laptop for free.

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
Both our HP desktop and laptop failed miserably for unknown reasons. We had some old IBM for a while, they were good, but just got to old and we couldn't upgrade them.

Now, I have moved on to a Mac. Wouldn't go back if you payed me. Sure they don't play games all that well, but I don't do that stuff. I play with CS4, Word, Excel and cruise the net and it works perfect.

fowler

Reaction score
i had a toshiba for shcool and it would crash monthly
it got to the point where it would crash weekly so i gave up and went dell

mine seems to have some issues but the machine works great

machinist@large

Reaction score

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
well avoid Windows Vista at ALL costs. that second laptop you posted has (Intel® Pentium® Processor) which is rather out dated. Windows7 is a ok OS and XP is a great OS.
vista...sucks. you want it to have a duel core processor or better.

The Acer I had was loaded with Vista. Worked nice for a few months but got soooo slooowwww.

I currently own, HP/Compaq, Acer, Toshiba, Sony, and a Dell. Have 3 running right now around me for various programs, and softwares. Alienware is owned by Dell now, Gateway and Acer are under the same roof,Compaq and HP share the same bed.

Depending on your intended use, may sway which way you go. Dual Core is the only way, loaded with XP is a true love. On the other hand, I have 2 machines with 64 bit Vista that are bullet proof. One of which is my gaming rig, have never had an issue. Alot of it is version, and how you take care of it (smut etc). Laptops, are not as hard to pick as they once were. Almost all of the major companies make good laptops, you have to know what your looking for in one. The Panasonic Tough Book is probably one of the best, but most expensive out there. Dell, Gateway, Acer make good business class machines along with Sony.

For everyday tinkering, HP/Compaq or Acer. Acer changed Gateway's proprietary thinking, just about all current laptops are end user serviceable with common generic parts. Sony at one point a couple of years ago, was the guru of laptops. That has changed, several models of the Vaio were total crap. All of them make good, and crappy laptops. Figure your budget, and go compare. I am no expert, but work on about 20 laptops a month and see the common issues which are usually end user and smut/virus related.

The parts to replace your Acer power board are about $10 on ebay, somebody is wanting to have a vaseline party with you. I charge $25 plus parts for that repair on most models, my local Geek Squad does not like me. They would rather sell you a new computer, than learn how to take one apart and fix it.

I checked Ebay, they were more like $70, which I didnt feel was worth it because they thing hardly worked anyway.

Both our HP desktop and laptop failed miserably for unknown reasons. We had some old IBM for a while, they were good, but just got to old and we couldn't upgrade them.

Now, I have moved on to a Mac. Wouldn't go back if you payed me. Sure they don't play games all that well, but I don't do that stuff. I play with CS4, Word, Excel and cruise the net and it works perfect.

Well, Im not rich. The cheaper the better (to a certain extent). Price range is like $300-$380.

Nobody caught that I said that HP was no longer a smart option because they're restructuring their company?

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blog...to-sell-pc-business-and-discontinue-touchpad/

Interesting. How does that affect their current products though? The HP I listed got 4.6 out of 5 on the reviews...

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
a mac might actually save you money in the long run.

mines an '06 i think and it was $1k. that was when i was like 10 years old.... cleared my bank account...............

and im using it right now.

i guess you can compare mac vs. pc like honda and honda clones. LOL

pc = honda clone
mac = genuine honda

EDIT: i have heard that HP is no longer making computers

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
a mac might actually save you money in the long run.

mines an '06 i think and it was $1k. that was when i was like 10 years old.... cleared my bank account...............

and im using it right now.

i guess you can compare mac vs. pc like honda and honda clones. LOL

pc = honda clone
mac = genuine honda

EDIT: i have heard that HP is no longer making computers

I'm going to disagree here. I feel like the macks are overrated, and over priced. I'm using a DELL insperon from 2006 right now, great computer. I do think it kind of depends on your personality though, seems like more logical people like the pc's.

Status
Not open for further replies.