• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Laptop Brand Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
just about everything they make is as much a fashion statement as it is a product

Only to people like you.

I look at my Mac and see a tool. I don't care what it looks like to you or anyone else. I am yet to see a PC perform anywhere close to my mac, with the same specs. My sister got a Acer laptop the same time I got my Mac. Hers had another GB of ram if I remember correctly.

The amount of extra crap that came on that computer was insane. It now runs slower that mine and I have never 'cleaned up' my Mac. I probably download more junk than she does and I am yet to have a problem.

I run programs like CS5 and Solid works without a hassle, I feel thats pretty good for the worst Mac available.

I would rather pay double the price for a Mac than pay a cent for anything that will profit Microsoft or Mr. Gates.

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
I would rather pay double the price for a Mac than pay a cent for anything that will profit Microsoft or Mr. Gates.

Do you have any idea how much Apple stock Mr. Gates owns?

To repudiate your argument I'll just state this as I've always felt.

Spend 2200 dollars and buy a good Mac laptop, performs decently does tasks well and is great for people that want to do media development or don't like the hassle of a complicated computer.

Spend 2200 dollars on a PC laptop and you'll find yourself with a supercomputer that when configured correctly will smoke any and every mac in the same price range.

If the gentleman said he doesn't want a Mac, there is no point in arguing the subject.

Bottom like, Alienware or Sony are both expensive but produce great products.

HP and Toshiba are middle of the road products which both have faults on hardware but are very very affordable and have decent customer service.

Acer(I actually had a great Acer for a few years there) and Lenovo are cheap, you get what you pay for.

I hope that helps you make a decision, but do some reading on what you buy. Consumer reports is a great source if you subscribe.

Badot

Reaction score
Alienware is now owned by Dell I believe. So as of now, they're probably just Dells with a graphics card.

Also, RAM and processing power is often overkill for current applications. For what the majority of people use their laptops for, 1 GB of RAM and a 3 ghz single core processor is more than enough.

Running Crysis 2 with the graphics settings at 1280x1024, set high or better (including AA, bloom, etc) it averages around 1.5 GB RAM usage and .8 ghz across each of my 3 cores. Obviously I have a decent graphics card, but not great. It's rendering images like this, 40 times a second.

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/crysis-2-screenshot.jpg

Factory computers DO come preloaded with UNGODLY amounts of utter crap. Also, the primary reasons computers run 'slow' (not including renderings/games) is because the hard drives cannot keep up. Too many programs needing too much data all at the same time.

A friend of mine has a macbook. He did multiple different benchmark tests on it running OSX, XP, and 7. 7 Ran just as fast as OSX. XP was consistently fastest.

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
Do you have any idea how much Apple stock Mr. Gates owns?

Yes, very little. Back in the early 2000's Microsoft bought something like 150,000 non voting shares of Apple stock. That was a gesture of encourgaging competition or so they said. If they were voting shares that would be, what? 0.05%? But they were not. I believe these were sold soon after for a profit.

To repudiate your argument I'll just state this as I've always felt.

Spend 2200 dollars and buy a good Mac laptop, performs decently does tasks well and is great for people that want to do media development or don't like the hassle of a complicated computer.

Spend 2200 dollars on a PC laptop and you'll find yourself with a supercomputer that when configured correctly will smoke any and every mac in the same price range.

If the gentleman said he doesn't want a Mac, there is no point in arguing the subject.

Thats the thing, the majority of people don't need a overly complex super computer. If thats what you want, get it. Its not really arguing, I understand Devino doesn't want a Mac, thats cool his choice. Its just my opinion.

fowler

Reaction score
i gotta admit nothing iv seen beats there ipods or i pads
in fact id probs replace my dell with a ipad when it dies

but i dont see anything in there computers

nak18

Reaction score
Only to people like you.

I look at my Mac and see a tool. I don't care what it looks like to you or anyone else. I am yet to see a PC perform anywhere close to my mac, with the same specs. My sister got a Acer laptop the same time I got my Mac. Hers had another GB of ram if I remember correctly.

The amount of extra crap that came on that computer was insane. It now runs slower that mine and I have never 'cleaned up' my Mac. I probably download more junk than she does and I am yet to have a problem.

I run programs like CS5 and Solid works without a hassle, I feel thats pretty good for the worst Mac available.

When people claim macs are better than pc's there only talking about the OS. A pc at the same price as mac will outperform a mac.
Viruses? haha, there not as open, because Apple is a monopoly that forces language changes every few years. Most trojans aren't compatible for macs over the years vs. windows auto backwards capabilities.

I'll choose a PC, then run multiple OS. I have a Lenovo y550p that was made 12/29/2009. It outperformed the Macbook for about a year. It cost about $300-$500 less.
-------------------------------
Look at this 2 year gap.

Lenovo y550p(2009):
core i7
4gb 1333mhz
420GB primary & 15gb Secondary
HDMI-out
1366x760(optional touchscreen)
Subwoofer(just enough to hear average quality bass)
GT240

Macbook pro 2011(2011):
core i5
4gb 1333mhz
320gb primary
hdmi-out
1280x800
gt320
=================================
I start win7 and run snow leopard in a vmware application and have slight lag.

I ran the Snow OS @ boot and no problem lagging, so why buy a mac when I can buy a cheaper PC then buy the Mac OS.

=======================

If you want a good laptop get a lenovo. The new y560p one is a beast. I run boujou tracking, after effects cs4, and 3ds max 2010, these 3 max my laptop out, lags during tracking/rendering. All this is on 4gb. I have yet, seen a Mac laptop run 3ds max and after effects without lagging.
------------------
iPhone/iPod/ iPad
Great devices, just underpowered. Example: A4 in iPad(256mb ram) / iPhone4 (512md ram). Same cpu, but ram change in later release date. Example iPhone 4S.
---------------------------------
I only buy Apple stuff when it out does everything else software/hardware wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.